Whose Defense do you Value More?

TitoMB345

Whose defense do you guys think is more valuable to the team? I think they are two of the top three defenders on this team, even though I bash Uribe every now and then. I'm just curious to see what most of ST thinks on the subject, as these two guys are sometimes referred to as "automatic-outs" at the bottom of the lineup.

My thoughts are that Brian Anderson's is more valuable, and I feel if we had to choose to only have one "terrible" hitter at the bottom, it would be Brian.

Discuss, and let's try not to bash too much.

Edited by TitoMB345

I value Scott Podsednik's defense the most because everytime he actually catches the ball I'm relieved. :P

Actually, out of these two options, I would say Brian Anderson's because our outfield defense has been so subpar this year.

Of course I would say that Joe Crede is the best defensive player on this team, and Konerko's ability to pick balls out of the dirt at 1st also often goes overlooked.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 01:51 PM)
I value Scott Podsednik's defense the most because everytime he actually catches the ball I'm relieved. :P

Actually, out of these two options, I would say Brian Anderson's because our outfield defense has been so subpar this year.

Of course I would say that Joe Crede is the best defensive player on this team, and Konerko's ability to pick balls out of the dirt at 1st also often goes overlooked.

Very true... somehow, Crede completely slipped my mind when I started this, so I changed it to Uribe and Anderson being two of the top three defenders :P

The reason I choose Uribe and Anderson though, is because they are both hitting so poorly, so I just want to see which one people tolerate more.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 02:11 PM)
Not saying this correlates, but we've done pretty well since he's been out.

We have. But still for some reason Cintron makes me very nervous over there. Last night was a perfect example. Do you think Joe would have cut that ball off in the 9th if it'd been Juan there?....I doubt it. The other thing...on the near double up where Ozzie got ejected...Cintron was absolutely clueless. He flipped the ball to Crede who fired it to first...shouldn't have even been close.

As for BA or Juan...Cintron's D really hasn't cost any runs. Mack in center...that's a different story.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 12:29 PM)
without question, Uribe. But I don't think it's a fair comparison given the number of plays involving a SS. And Abreu nearly beat out a sharply hit ground ball to Cintron last night after Alex took an extra step to load and fire. Juan's got a cannon - we miss him.

So, Uribe's been out for 5 games or so...can you point to a single game where Uribe being out has cost us a run on defense? I don't think I can. However, in the last 3 times Mackowiak has started in CF, I can point to 1 instance in each game where him being in CF has directly cost us a run, and several others where him being in CF has either made the pitcher work harder or made a situation for a pitcher worse and wound up costing us runs that way.

It may just be because of the much larger difference in performance between our "2" center fielders, but I feel a lot worse when Mack gets a start than I do when Cintron does.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 12:32 PM)
So, Uribe's been out for 5 games or so...can you point to a single game where Uribe being out has cost us a run on defense? I don't think I can. However, in the last 3 times Mackowiak has started in CF, I can point to 1 instance in each game where him being in CF has directly cost us a run, and several others where him being in CF has either made the pitcher work harder or made a situation for a pitcher worse and wound up costing us runs that way.

It may just be because of the much larger difference in performance between our "2" center fielders, but I feel a lot worse when Mack gets a start than I do when Cintron does.

Javy worked out of a jam last night in the first when Alex couldn't handle Jeter's ground ball that was ridiculously ruled a base hit and not an error. Granted, it didn't lead to a run, but that was thanks to Javy.

But I do have to agree with you in terms of subs, I feel that Cintron is far more competent at short than Mack is in center. Not even close.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 02:38 PM)
Javy worked out of a jam last night in the first when Alex couldn't handle Jeter's ground ball that was ridiculously ruled a base hit and not an error. Granted, it didn't lead to a run, but that was thanks to Javy.

But I do have to agree with you in terms of subs, I feel that Cintron is far more competent at short than Mack is in center. Not even close.

Jeter is pretty fast. Had Cintron actually come up with that ball, Jeter probably still would've beaten it out considering how far Alex had to go to his right.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 02:57 PM)
but what about Juan?

That's still a long range to the right. I agree that Uribe would've had a better chance, but it would've been an extremely tough throw. It probably would've had to have been a perfect laser right to PK, and Uribe has a tendency to bounce them in there.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 07:59 PM)
That's still a long range to the right. I agree that Uribe would've had a better chance, but it would've been an extremely tough throw. It probably would've had to have been a perfect laser right to PK, and Uribe has a tendency to bounce them in there.

Carlton Fisk's is better all the way around, because he played for Boston.

/carry on.

:P

compared to the league norm, uribe is more valuable....ie defensive VORP.....however, since on the whitesox, the replacement players are mack and cintron, anderson D is more valuable because you dont lose as much going from uribe to cintron as you do from anderson to mack.....

that is......(Anderson - Mack) > (Uribe - Cintron), but when they are both playing, uribe is more valuable than anderson, and i dont really even think its that close

QUOTE(CWSOX45 @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 02:53 PM)
Brian Anderson without a doubt, just because we have no back-up centerfielder.

Cintron is okay at short.....I can't wait til Juanny is healthy though.

^^^^^

Taking nothing away from Juan, my impression is that the dropoff is so much greater in cf that I'd go with Brian.

But I'm a fan of both, I'm not saying I would want Uribe out.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 02:32 PM)

Agreed, that was another big reason for me in choosing Anderson.

And, as someone also mentioned, Anderson doesn't let his plate struggles affect his play in the field.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 02:34 PM)
Anderson because he doesnt let his poor offense messup with his great defense.
With Anderson in, as opposed to Mackowiak ,I've seen some games where he may make a two run difference in his fielding. Mackowiak is ok on the corner but Anderson maybe as good or better than any centerfielder defensively in the majors. When the ball is hit in Dye or Anderson's direction base runners are afraid to advance.. I'd like to see one more strong arm in left.......................