Preston Wilson DFA

Harry Chappas

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 13, 2006 -> 01:08 AM)
How does Cruz Jr "blow" to you, yet you have an avatar of Preston Wilson?

He plays a decent CF, according (apparently) to Jason, and his BP defensive stats rate very well in all three OF spots.

Offensively, the past two year against lefties, he's put up OPS' of .951 and .942.

Cruz is really an ideal option for the Sox, as he'd be the perfect platoon for Pods. He also hasn't been a full-time player since 2004, and he'd be coming to one of the best teams in baseball, so I doubt he'd have a problem riding the pine.

Cruz is a solid outfielder all around, he just gets lazy some times.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 11:43 PM)
Better careers, Preston Wilson. That said, for there roles I think those guys are better role/bench players. I'm not against the idea of Preston Wilson, but its one thing to just say he could play off the bench and its another for him to come here and be willing to do so.

You got to have a positive attitude about it and I don't think he would.

Yeah I'm aware of it, which is why we probably won't see him here. And Jose Cruz. btw, USED to be better than Wilson, not now though. Ick.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 12, 2006 -> 11:12 PM)
Yeah I'm aware of it, which is why we probably won't see him here. And Jose Cruz. btw, USED to be better than Wilson, not now though. Ick.

Nah, I don't think Cruz was ever better than Wilson. Cruz was insanely talented but struggled to live up to his hype. That said he's a superior defender at all 3 positions to Wilson and hits lefties very well in his career and is used to coming off the bench.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 13, 2006 -> 04:36 PM)
Nah, I don't think Cruz was ever better than Wilson. Cruz was insanely talented but struggled to live up to his hype. That said he's a superior defender at all 3 positions to Wilson and hits lefties very well in his career and is used to coming off the bench.

Hence why he would be IDEAL as a 4th OF for this team. Too bad it won't be happening. :angry:

Personally, I'd be all for adding either Wilson or Cruz, Jr. as a right-handed LF. Mack's splits against lefties are even worse than Pods this year. And we could use a RH pinch hitter in some other slots.

I'd open the slot by sending Ozuna to AAA. Pablo has only 2 base hits since June, yet wasn't hurt enough to go on the DL. He needs ABs that don't hurt us to get back some semblance of being a productive player. He could return in September.

Frankly, if we don't add Cruz, Jr. or Wilson, I'd send Ozuna down for a 12th pitcher. Ozzie needs to be encouraged to yank our starters at the first sign of trouble for the next few weeks. They could use the rest, and we could use the victories.

EDIT: Ozuna got his third hit since June today against a drawn in infield, and it drove in an important insurance run.

Edited by VAfan

According to The Hardball Times, Wilson and Cruz were the second- and third-worst center fielders in the National League behind Ken Griffey Jr. last year.

Cruz is a good corner outfielder, but both are disasters in center. They'd look better than Mackowiak in center (like taller shortstops look better than Juan Uribe), but they wouldn't constitute an improvement.

Don't forget we are dealing with Drayton McLane here too...he wasn't going to pick up Wilson's contract for next year and they have some good young talent. Who wouldn't want your top pitching prospect to come up and pitch with Clemens and Pettitte and Oswalt?

Plus, Wilson is a strikeout machine...the Sox don't need him, even with his average against lefties.