A 2nd Chance for Thomas Bashers

Guest Ncorgbl

A few posts ago it was noted that Fisk is wearing the wrong Sox hat in the HoF. Doesn't the Hall decide? I don't believe it is up to the player. I forget who this just came up with from the Expos.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few posts ago it was noted that Fisk is wearing the wrong Sox hat in the HoF. Doesn't the Hall decide? I don't believe it is up to the player. I forget who this just came up with from the Expos.

Gary Carter. Fisk was before they decided to change the rule and asked to be put in as a Red Sox.

Corg.

You have given me some food for thought on JR.  I have liked JR for some reasons and disliked him for others.  First, I feel the JR and EE saved the White Sox for Chicago when they bought them, but they scared the hell outta me with the stadium deal and the possibility of them become the "Florida White Sox".

You said that JR doesn't want to be "liked" by the fans, that should be all about the team, in his opinion.  That is all very commendable on JR's part.  However, at times, it seems to me that he adversely influences the public's perception of himself.  For example, the Carlton Fisk debacle during the playoffs vs. the Blue Jays.  On one hand, by allowing Fisk to remain with the team till he broke the games caught record, though the team was in contention and Pudge was not producing, was a very classy move.  On the other, I cannot understand why Pudge and Donn Pall were not allowed to visit the clubhouse that night.  It seems like a total lack of respect for a guy that should have been in Cooperstown with "SOX" on his cap, instead of a "B".  Fisk isn't the only example of a Sox player that has been disrespected by the team after their days in silver and black have come to an end.   Jack McDowell, Lance Johnson and Robin Ventura immediately come to mind. 

I have theorized the JR doesn't approve of promoting the players themselves as opposed to the team.  A "Players come and go, but the team is the thing." mentality, so to speak.  Is this because if a player has become an "icon" on the southside, that they would be able to use that as leverage in contract negotiations? 

I'm not being critical of JR, here.  I am legitimately asking these questions in hopes of getting some insight and more understanding of the thinking in the front office.

They did save the Sox for Chicago, and the 'threatened' Florida move was a complete sham. Does anyone really think two guys from the TV industry would move their club from the 2nd biggest city to one in the mid 20s? The idea had been done before and not much repurcussion in other cities, so JR and EE went along with it, as it was suggested as the only way to get the funding past the downstaters by one of Thompson's assistants. The mayor was key, insisting on the location, as Thompson didn't really care one way or another, and Jerry wanted the suburbs, Addison in particular. The Chicago media has all the fans still holding it against Reinsodrf, while most other owners in other cities are heralded for their moves, and two are building or have built newer parks since their last 'holdup'.

I didn't say JR doesn't want to be 'liked' by the fans, everyone wants to be liked, I said that was least important to him and his view, not the priority.

I love Carlton Fisk. But understand, Fisk is a real bastard, much like me. He can be nice, but has more fun pointing out how stupid someone is. Remember too that Fisk was a bit of a freak, as most catchers cannot squat after their 35th birthday. LaRussa tried to get him to play 1st base and left field, and he threw fits, and Schu tried too, just to help extend his career. Who knew the guy could still perform behind the plate at 43 years old? Nonetheless, JR and Fisk are fine now, they've mended fences, the one who treated Pudge the way you and so many objected to was Schueler. They hate each other. JR stayed out of it, backing his GM. If you are talking about the 2000 playoffs when Fisk was turned away, and a few others, that too was Schu.

I have nothing good to say about Jack McDowell, I find him to be the most despicable individual I've met in baseball.

Robin was, and still is a favourite, though I think Crede is gonna make us all forget Robin a bit before he's through. It is my opinion that Ventura was not worth the $6 million we were paying him, and not worth what he's gotten since, though I am happy for him that he got it. Favourite or not, there is a point of worth, and Robin was well past it.

I'd say some fans put more importance on players than they deserve, and get caught up in that. JR has not only promoted Thomas, he's protected him. But do keep in mind that pro athletes are not always the most likable people behind closed doors.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to comments and questions. It is appreciated very much.

• 7 months later...
Baloney..... :lol:

If you miss him you can take the extra two seconds and browse the White Sox MLB site, where he runs s***.  Over there he has developed quite a reputation for being an asshole and seems to enjoy all the attention.

It will be one long, cold-ass day when I "browse" MLB site OR its troll boards.

Corg's posts made this site better.

I miss Corg.

No he hasn't.  At least not that I know of... He might not be posting here by his own choice for whatever reason, but he hasn't been banned.  Only 4 real posters hold that distinction.

Oh how lovely!

That means Corg may return one day.

Moi amore! :wub: