Politte has shoulder surgery

Mr. Showtime

Not sure if this was posted:

After struggling with all sorts of questions this season, former White Sox pitcher Cliff Politte finally received some answers.

According to the right-handed reliever, he had surgery on Thursday to repair a rotator cuff that was 40 percent torn and had more bone spurs than were originally anticipated removed from the shoulder area. The surgery was a success, and Politte said he and his doctor expect him to be completely healthy by the spring.

''When I came home after the Sox let me go, I had interest from a few teams,'' Politte said in a telephone interview.

''I kept trying to throw and the pain got worse and worse. So I decided to shut it down and get a few other opinions.''

Politte, who was designated for assignment on July 15 after a career year in 2005, struggled with the Sox in '06, posting a 2-2 record and 8.70 ERA in 30 games.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 19, 2006 -> 10:57 PM)
Glad to hear that Cliff is going to get taken care of. Once he heals up, he will be a great set up man again for someone.

I doubt it, his career as anything but a mop up man or back end middle reliever is done IMO. He had his career year, and god bless 'em for having it with the Sox.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Aug 20, 2006 -> 03:29 AM)
I doubt it, his career as anything but a mop up man or back end middle reliever is done IMO. He had his career year, and god bless 'em for having it with the Sox.

Cliff did a great jpb for us in 2005. I belieev I posted here more than once that I thought he had arm troubles this year. I hope he can bounce back. Maybe th Sox will invite him to ST

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 19, 2006 -> 09:57 PM)
Glad to hear that Cliff is going to get taken care of. Once he heals up, he will be a great set up man again for someone.

Could that someone be the White Sox? If BMAC starts next year there is an opening. As a homer, I hated it when Cal Eldred came back with the Cardinals instead of the Sox, if Cliff's shoulder is really fixed he'd be a great righty situational.

QUOTE(TLAK @ Aug 20, 2006 -> 08:37 AM)
Could that someone be the White Sox? If BMAC starts next year there is an opening. As a homer, I hated it when Cal Eldred came back with the Cardinals instead of the Sox, if Cliff's shoulder is really fixed he'd be a great righty situational.

He would be a good situational until he gives up a run or two, then people will say that his shoulder is still messed up and he needs to be released or sent down again.

QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ Aug 19, 2006 -> 03:37 PM)
Not sure if this was posted:

Does the quote stating that Politte got a second opinion mean that the Sox were his first opinion and didn't realize he needed surgery?

Edited by shoota

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 19, 2006 -> 04:36 PM)
I'm happy that they found the partial tear. This gives hope for Politte that he can rehab the injury and pitch in the majors again. If there was nothing physically wrong, then I don't think he would have been a MLB pitcher again.

I guess you're done questioning whether he was seriously hurt or not, :D