Game thread Sox(73-50) at Detroit(79-45)

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 07:06 PM)
I remember when we were all laughing at the Indians' pitching problems back in May. That seems like 20 years ago. I can't believe how badly this pitching staff has underachieved.

Our pitching is no longer a "concern". It is a bonafide disaster and KW and Ozzie need to go into emergency mode. They can no longer afford to "wait" for the pitching to "come around" 'cause it ain't gonna happen. It is what it is, and Ozzie needs to shift his managing philosophy with that in mind. I think even though he's only got a 4th grade education, Ozzie has a pretty stout baseball IQ and he will understand that the hook needs to be applied swiftly at first sign of trouble. They can sit around and do nothin, a la Boston Dead Sox, or scramble around and find what this team needs. At least Boston has a good excuse, 3 young pitchers replacing injured ones. The White Sox have had no significant injuries of any sort. I thought a month and a half ago that the Skankees were done, with Sheff and Matsui gone tits up, but they didn't fold their tents. That's a credit to them, and now they look to be The Standard.

This season really makes me appreciate last year even more. A bunch of rag-tag scappers somehow found a way, while this team full of All-Stars is barely cuttin' the mustard. Baseball's a funny game. I love it!

Edited by cgaudin

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 01:14 AM)
INEXCUSABLE for Pods not to tag.

I realize we're down 6 runs, but if it's beyond his heads he's on third, if it's gone -- it's gone.

I didn't see the play, but the last thing we need is someone making out on the bases.

Shockingly Paulie hit that to the 3rd baseman. Of all places, I never thought he would hit it there. /sarcasm

I am surprised that teams dont do the paulie shift and put 3 infielders on the left side of the diamond. Paulie would hit probably about .216 if that were to happen.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 08:15 PM)
How hot are the A's right now? They were down 8-0 after two innings tonight. It's now 11-8 A's.

I'm pretty sure Toronto is going to have a new manager next season. Lilly gave Gibbons a bloody nose tonight.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(cgaudin @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 08:17 PM)
Our pitching is no longer a "concern". It is a bonafide disaster and KW and Ozzie need to go into emergency mode. They can no longer afford to "wait" for the pitching to "come around" 'cause it ain't gonna happen. It is what it is, and Ozzie needs to shift his managing philosophy with that in mind. I think even though he's only got a 4th grade education, Ozzie has a pretty stout baseball IQ and he will understand that the hook needs to be applied swiftly at first sign of trouble.

This season really makes me appreciate last year even more. A bunch of rag-tag scappers somehow found a way, while this team full of All-Stars is barely cuttin' the mustard. Baseball's a funny game. I love it!

Problem is we have 4 guys right now who get into trouble just about everytime they go out there. There's really not a whole lot you can do when your entire staff (save Garland) can't hold a team to even 4 runs.

QUOTE(cgaudin @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 06:17 PM)
Our pitching is no longer a "concern". It is a bonafide disaster and KW and Ozzie need to go into emergency mode. They can no longer afford to "wait" for the pitching to "come around" 'cause it ain't gonna happen. It is what it is, and Ozzie needs to shift his managing philosophy with that in mind. I think even though he's only got a 4th grade education, Ozzie has a pretty stout baseball IQ and he will understand that the hook needs to be applied swiftly at first sign of trouble.

This team isn't much different than last year, unfortunately the starters all decided to take this year off.

Edited by CYGarland

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 08:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I didn't see the play, but the last thing we need is someone making out on the bases.

It was hit to deep RF, and Clevelan looked like he was ready to trip over his own feet. That was stupid of Pods. IT was either going to be a homer or a flyout.

QUOTE(cgaudin @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 08:17 PM)

He doesnt understand why Vazquez has a plus 10 ERA past 75 pitches, and still tries to get him to deep into games.

He thinks that this is the 2005 whitesox and tries to have his 5 + era pitchers go deep into games no matter how many runs they give up.

He takes one of our hottest hitters out of the lineup every 3rd game so he can put a corner OF in center field.

One of our best pitchers in the stretch last year, he called lousy and hasnt stretched him out even though SP is our problem. Well now we cant hit either, but for most of the year SP has been the problem.

He let boone logan pitch to Travis Hafner in game what 3.

And he starts his starters less than some bench players play in most games.

So again with the high baseball IQ.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 01:20 AM)
It was hit to deep RF, and Clevelan looked like he was ready to trip over his own feet. That was stupid of Pods. IT was either going to be a homer or a flyout.

Here's another question: don't you think that in a 7-1 game, Pods should be able to just walk into 2nd base on a steal attempt if he wanted to?

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 08:17 PM)

I didn't know the arm strength of their RF, but considering Pods supposed speed, and how the ball was caught on a slight angle, I would have expected him to tag. Didn't matter much, really. Just being Podsednik, I'm more willing to criticize him. :P