Game thread Sox(73-50) at Detroit(79-45)

QUOTE(CYGarland @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 07:55 PM)
I dont think their choking, they just don't have IT right now.

It has nothing to do with IT.

Its to do with a mathmatical formula.

Our hitters are trying to pull everything in sight for whatever reason.

Our pitchers are throwing low and away, its almost like they are trying to pitch to our hitters.

And with Mackowiak in CF do we really believe in D. Our young CF is hitting over 290 since what June, and he needs to rest like every 3rd day

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(klaus kinski @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 07:56 PM)
A trade deadline

Yankees get Abreu-get hot

Dodgers get Maddux-get hot

We get nothing-thats 17-22 folks

It would be explainable if we were good at the deadline

Lidle was a huge pick up for the Bronx Bombers. He's a journeyman who pitches pretty well when he has a lot of runs to work with.

QUOTE(klaus kinski @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 12:56 AM)
A trade deadline

LOL -- Maddux would get rocked in the AL. He might have a couple week grace period, but AL teams would smoke his 85 MPH junk as much as they do Freddy's (heh -- no pun intended).

The reason we suck is because our five starters are s***, not because we didn't make a move.

QUOTE(klaus kinski @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 07:56 PM)
A trade deadline

But KW asked Paulie and company if they needed anything. And they looked around and said we can win it with this.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 07:49 PM)
AJ -- I think I have a good idea on how to get Monroe out. Throw a fastball, preferable 85-87 MPH, on the inside corner.

I have not seen this bastard, Monroe, hit an opposite field shot against us ALL YEAR.

OMFG. Look at his hit chart at Comerica. HE HASN'T HIT A f***ING OPPOSITE FIELD SHOT ALL YEAR AT COMERICA.

Why this team INSISTS on pitching him inside, and going away to slap hitters like Vance Wilson, Jason Tyner, and Pudge Rodriguez is BEYOND ME. This is absolutely un-f***ing-real.

From what I've observed, Monroe crowds the plate. Watch when he's preparing himself at the plate -- his bat covers a sizeable portion of the outside corner. Enough room is left to pull.

It's a similar concept to David Ortiz. I realize they aren't comparable on a talent level , but as far as identifying a weakness, one would believe it's outside. How many opposite field HR's have you recalled him hitting? I honestly can't remember one. I'm sure a hitting chart would support me.

Both hitters crowd plates and compensate outside corners fairly well. Considering Contreras plunked several batters, he may have been reluctant to pitch Monroe in.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(klaus kinski @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 07:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A trade deadline

Oh give me a break.

Abreu would only waive his NTC for Mets, Yankees and someone else

Maddux did not have a NTC but Jim Hungry had a handshake deal with him saying he would not trade him unless Maddux wanted him to and he got to choose the team.

You can thank the Garbage NL and AL West for making this a sellers' market for the second year in a row.

Jeez Pods. try to show some heart please.

QUOTE(shawnhillegas @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 12:58 AM)
so who is going to write the "DONT WORRY GUYS, WE WILL COME BACK" thread tonight?

Greg Hibbard :P

If you read this Mr. Hibbard, I'm just kidding. Your post was well thought out today, even if I disagreed with the tone.

QUOTE(klaus kinski @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 07:59 PM)
Are there any figures available on how much, if anything, the team made on sales of LDS, LCS and World Series merchandise last year?

If it was substantial, wouldnt that have warranted some deadline activity?

Ticket prices are rising significantly in 2007 and people will be locked in with how they wisely put together the postseason ticket policy. They will have a lot of money to work with next season. They will throw it into the team.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 05:57 PM)
It has nothing to do with IT.

Its to do with a mathmatical formula.

Our hitters are trying to pull everything in sight for whatever reason.

Our pitchers are throwing low and away, its almost like they are trying to pitch to our hitters.

And with Mackowiak in CF do we really believe in D. Our young CF is hitting over 290 since what June, and he needs to rest like every 3rd day

Basically, their not playing well. Nuff said

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 07:57 PM)
Never said I wasn't "worried" about them. Some were giving them the pennant as soon as they got Abreu. Their pitching is still suspect. But as of "right now" they're the favorites.

So you weren't "worried" about them despite them being the favorites? Is that different than being worried about them? I'm confused.

QUOTE(klaus kinski @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 12:59 AM)
Are there any figures available on how much, if anything, the team made on sales of LDS, LCS and World Series merchandise last year?

If it was substantial, wouldnt that have warranted some deadline activity?

We increased our payroll a ton this year. It might be the one thing I can't find anything to complain about.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 12:59 AM)
Oh give me a break.

Abreu would only waive his NTC for Mets, Yankees and someone else

Maddux did not have a NTC but Jim Hungry had a handshake deal with him saying he would not trade him unless Maddux wanted him to and he got to choose the team.

You can thank the Garbage NL and AL West for making this a sellers' market for the second year in a row.

Jeez Pods. try to show some heart please.

I'd be willing to bet Abreu would play for Ozzie. They're very close friends, FWIW.

QUOTE(CYGarland @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 07:59 PM)
There not going to come around, the offense is the only chance we have, and they better get it going FAST

Then we're done. We're not gonna hit our way to the playoffs. Even if we do, will get knocked out in round 1. The pitching has to get better.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 01:02 AM)
Then we're done. We're not gonna hit our way to the playoffs. Even if we do, will get knocked out in round 1. The pitching has to get better.

Well, I'll take our chances in the postseason. I'd rather lose every game 15-0 then to not make it.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 08:02 PM)

You're right. If the pitching continues like this, even if the playoffs are made, its going to be a quick exit.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 06:02 PM)

The only way were going to win this thing, is if a couple of our starters get Hot, and the offense starts mashing again.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 01:03 AM)
You're right. If the pitching continues like this, even if the playoffs are made, its going to be a quick exit.

It's just amazing how many times a week a starting pitcher gives up 5 or 6 runs in their outing. As you said earlier, don't you think they'd have a fluke week where they all pitched well?