McCarthy

Harry Chappas

Brandon McCathy has thrown 3 innings the last two weeks.

Is it possible that he is being streched out on the side for a spot start? Depending on what happens the next two days, Thursdays game could have very little meaning as compared to this weekend. Could Garland get pushed back to Friday and McCarthy pitch Thursday and either push everyone back a day or skip Contrearas or Vazquez to give them an extra day. Our starters look gassed right now. Would a 6 man rotation be that bad? Tracey can come up for Ozuna to get another bullpen arm until rosters expand.

I am just curious as to why Cotts has actually pitched 3 of the last 4 games and he has not looked good for sometime.

I doubt highly that Brandon is being worked in 100 pitch sessions on the side. He's only pitched 3 innings because that's what Ozzie has needed, in close games where we have the lead he can do the MMac, Thor, Jenks rotation and it's over, in games where we're behind we're throwing in Cotts and Riske and conceding the loss.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 07:28 PM)
I doubt highly that Brandon is being worked in 100 pitch sessions on the side. He's only pitched 3 innings because that's what Ozzie has needed, in close games where we have the lead he can do the MMac, Thor, Jenks rotation and it's over, in games where we're behind we're throwing in Cotts and Riske and conceding the loss.

Cotts and Riske pitching = conceding? :huh:

Its pretty evident that Kenny and Ozzie see things different when it comes to Brandon. Ozzie's managing has been detrimental to McCarthy's development this season. He seems to finally be figuring things out in regards to Anderson (which is nice to see) but Ozzie has done an awful job (and I've been saying it all season) all season when it comes to McCarthy.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 03:10 PM)
McCarthy wasn't needed on the ML roster this year the way he was used.

The Sox should have kept him in the minors STARTING.

Stupid use of him this year.

I disagree completely...this is exactly the way the White Sox brought Buehrle along in 2000. Let him get a taste of the big leagues, they can stretch him out over the winter and in Spring Training.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 01:48 PM)
I disagree completely...this is exactly the way the White Sox brought Buehrle along in 2000. Let him get a taste of the big leagues, they can stretch him out over the winter and in Spring Training.

Different situations though. Buehrle was not pitching out of the pen for an entire season and he did have the ocassional spot start.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 08:12 PM)
Its pretty evident that Kenny and Ozzie see things different when it comes to Brandon. Ozzie's managing has been detrimental to McCarthy's development this season. He seems to finally be figuring things out in regards to Anderson (which is nice to see) but Ozzie has done an awful job (and I've been saying it all season) all season when it comes to McCarthy.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 08:51 PM)
Different situations though. Buehrle was not pitching out of the pen for an entire season and he did have the ocassional spot start.

Absolutely agree.

But again, as I mentioned a couple of days ago, McCarthy is not going to be the "hallelujah boy" everyone is making him out to be... aka - Mark Prior for the Cubs. Sox fans about McCarthy sound just like Cub fans when it comes to Mark Prior (well at least before this latest injury fiasco).

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 04:58 PM)
Absolutely agree.

But again, as I mentioned a couple of days ago, McCarthy is not going to be the "hallelujah boy" everyone is making him out to be... aka - Mark Prior for the Cubs. Sox fans about McCarthy sound just like Cub fans when it comes to Mark Prior (well at least before this latest injury fiasco).

I agree. That's what I hate about McCarthy.

java script:emoticon(':gosox3:', 'smid_17')

:gosox3:

Now I was a real believer in McCarthy, but the teams use or more

correctly misuse of him this year, has been a tragedy. He is a

mediocre middle reliever at best and with too few stretches of work,

he seems not to be in condition to step in as a starter. And IMHO as

well as others, he was among the elite young prospective starters

coming into this year, but the brass went with an unnecessary trade

for Vasquez and certainly damaged this asset.

lb

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Aug 23, 2006 -> 01:35 PM)
McCarthy is long relief. We haven't needed long relief for awhile now. But, none of the relief corp (except Jenks) has been that consistent either. Cotts and BMac equal at lest one homer given up per appearance.

Brandon is your bridge to your backend.

Since the allstar break

Brandon

3.24 ERA, 1.20 WHIP, 3 homers, 8.10ks/9 innings

3.86 ERA, .096 WHIP in August

Neal

6.23 ERA, 2.62 WHIP, 3 homers, 6ks/9 innings

8.10 ERA, 2.85 WHIP in August

Brandon is not mop up, it should be Cotts and his pathetic numbers.