McCarthy must be inserted into the rotation...

BearSox

If Ozzie and Kenny don't realize this now, shame on them. Either make a waiver trade and dump Vazquez off somewhere or move him to the pen. Even though Garcia hasn't done much better if better at all, but he still has experience down the stretch and in the playoffs.

This rotation needs a spark. Right now Garland is the only one on this team who we can count on for 7+ innings. McCarthy pitched very well tonight. And now, he does deserve to be inserted into the rotation.

Got to do something to get this team on a role! :gosox1: :gosox2: :gosox3: :gosox4: :gosoxretro:

Edited by BearSox

Does 5.1 innings tonight prove they have secretly been geting him ready for htis on the side? Has his shoulder injury been a cover for the team while deciding which starter to demote to the pen? As bad as Freddy has been, he'd be crummy out of the pen whereas Vazquez could emerge as the game's predominant right-handed set-up man. He could be excellent in that role.

QUOTE(SinkingShip06 @ Aug 27, 2006 -> 03:28 AM)
Vazquez has to go to the pen. if you can't go more than 5 innings you're no use to this team

Or our manager just get his head out of his ass when Vaz starts, and he pulls him no matter how well he's doing if the game is within 3 runs.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 26, 2006 -> 11:30 PM)
Or our manager just get his head out of his ass when Vaz starts, and he pulls him no matter how well he's doing if the game is within 3 runs.

And now the bullpen is in a funk and can't hold any lead.

After this game Ozzie will have a lot of pressure to insert McCarthy.

QUOTE(G&T @ Aug 27, 2006 -> 03:33 AM)
And now the bullpen is in a funk and can't hold any lead.

After this game Ozzie will have a lot of pressure to insert McCarthy.

This situation is 1/100th of the situation Ozzie had last year, and he still kept Duque in the rotation over McCarthy.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 26, 2006 -> 11:35 PM)
This situation is 1/100th of the situation Ozzie had last year, and he still kept Duque in the rotation over McCarthy.

I'm not saying BMAC will be in the rotation, I just think there will be even more pressure. Ozzie is known for not listening to anything that sounds rational. The other thing is that McCarthy was just up to the bigs last year so not using him in the playoffs wasn't totally irational. Now, McCarthy has experience and could easily contribute.

QUOTE(G&T @ Aug 27, 2006 -> 03:39 AM)
I'm not saying BMAC will be in the rotation, I just think there will be even more pressure. Ozzie is known for not listening to anything that sounds rational. The other thing is that McCarthy was just up to the bigs last year so not using him in the playoffs wasn't totally irational. Now, McCarthy has experience and could easily contribute.

Who's he going to replace McCarthy with in the rotation? Not even I can think of a logical choice.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 26, 2006 -> 11:39 PM)
Who's he going to replace McCarthy with in the rotation? Not even I can think of a logical choice.

I don't know. I can't think of a situation that makes sense outside of Ozzie making a decree that someone is moving to the pen and McCarthy is coming to the rotation and to hell to anyone who doesn't like it. But I doubt that'll happen. I guess it's all wishful thinking.

QUOTE(premo @ Aug 27, 2006 -> 12:14 AM)
To me, putting McCarthy in the rotation and Vasquez in the pen makes perfect sense. I think he would actually be dominant coming in as a setup man.

The problem is the Vazquez gives you 5 solid innings every outting at least before he tanks. The other guys don't even give that much. While he makes sense in the pen because of his stuff, it doesn't necessarily help the rotation. Meanwhile putting anyone else in the pen probably hurts the pen.

McCarthy's 5 innings of work this evening has made an impression upon me. I say with more certaintly now than previous posts he's been throwing side sessions.

Would it make sense for McCarthy not to pitch for nearly a week, then 2 innings August 22, then 5+innings (63 pitches) four days later? If this is mere coincidence brought on by Contreras' ineffectiveness, it's an indictment on management for pushing Brandon following supposed "shoulder tightness."

if they are going to do it, then do it now, don't screw around any longer. he would probably only get 5 or 6 starts (without doing the math) and i don't know how long they would want him to go in the first couple. it seems a little late to shake things up like that. it's something they probably should have done earlier. i can understand sticking with all the starters except freddy. i don't know if there was any reason to think he would magically find 4-6 mph on his fastball or learn to throw left handed if was just going to throw junk up there.

Edited by fullcollapse

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 26, 2006 -> 11:40 PM)
McCarthy's 5 innings of work this evening has made an impression upon me. I say with more certaintly now than previous posts he's been throwing side sessions.

Would it make sense for McCarthy not to pitch for nearly a week, then 2 innings August 22, then 5+innings (63 pitches) four days later? If this is mere coincidence brought on by Contreras' ineffectiveness, it's an indictment on management for pushing Brandon following supposed "shoulder tightness."

You're in luck, Flash

A commenter at my site says that's exactly what he has been doing, with him headed to the rotation September 1. The reason for the wait appears to be waiting for rosters to expand so they could add an arm or two to the pen, which seems a bit odd to me. Almost as if the Sox intend to go with a 6-man rotation.

I still can't see Ozzie removing anyone from the rotation without a DL trip, and I think the only candidate for that, based on recent performance and Ozzie's post-game quotes is Contreras.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 27, 2006 -> 03:41 PM)
You're in luck, Flash

A commenter at my site says that's exactly what he has been doing, with him headed to the rotation September 1. The reason for the wait appears to be waiting for rosters to expand so they could add an arm or two to the pen, which seems a bit odd to me. Almost as if the Sox intend to go with a 6-man rotation.

I still can't see Ozzie removing anyone from the rotation without a DL trip, and I think the only candidate for that, based on recent performance and Ozzie's post-game quotes is Contreras.

Maybe it just might be happening after all, and Ozzie's patience has just run out with the performance of our starters.