Post-game curse-a-thon

Cerbaho-WG

QUOTE(Wealz @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 11:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So you're ok with having Contreras locked in through 2009? Hey, KW should be the GM for however long he wants to be after winning a World Series, but some of his moves since deserve to be questioned.

Yes I am fine with Contreras being under control for that long because:

A) He got a below market deal

B) he enjoys playing here

C) He was very vital to our World Series run

D) I have always been a fan of his even before his great 2006 start when you mysterously weren't posting while Contreras was 9-0 and on the All-star team.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 11:35 PM)
Huh?

Garland had one year of arbitration left.

Contreras had one year left on his 4 year deal he signed with the Yankees BACK BEFORE the 2003 season with the Sox payin $6 million

You said the same things about Jeremy Reed when he was traded for Garcia. I'm not saying Young won't being anything, but how exactly would he fit in the Sox's current plans? Guillen won't play Anderson everyday, and Pods is always out there.

We just called up Sweeney, Owens is on the way, and Fields has been seeing some OF time. Dye will ahve his option picked up (a whopping $6 million. STUPID KW wrecklessly spending the chairman's money and Mack is signed for a few more years.

You're happy with the Vazquez deal and the Contreras signing Dorf?

QUOTE(Wealz @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 11:37 PM)
Sources that he's hurt?

I don't know, going from a 17-game win streak to losing velocity, altering his arm angle to relieve pain, and getting lit up routinely should be enough source.

Ozzies postgame quote

I think we played very bad defensively," manager Ozzie Guillen said. "I'm not going to blame Jose."

"If you don't get help, you're not going to look good," Guillen said in reference to Contreras' pitching line.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(Dan @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 11:33 PM)
steff ive always wondered why are you "do-able" picsorban.gif

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QUOTE(Wealz @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 11:37 PM)
Sources that he's hurt?

Common sense...?

QUOTE(Dan @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 11:40 PM)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOL.

Anyone that suggests that we shouldnt of signed the Count after his dominant last year, for the money he is making needs therapy. When did you think it was a bad idea to sign him, after his great start this year, or when you were real smart and it was after his DL stint.

The guy is hurt, give me a break.

I keep forgetting. He just decided that as a perfectly healthy pitcher, he would just mail it in and start sucking. f*** this winning stuff, just lob it up there and see how hard he can hit it.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 11:37 PM)
So Kenny's intelligence won us the WS least year...?

Alrighty.

I was teaching you why your logic was faulty. A smart GM doesn't lose his intelligence like a player loses his physical skills. To say a presently underperforming player doesn't deserve criticism because of his past accomplishments is folly.

QUOTE(shoota @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 11:44 PM)
I was teaching you why your logic was faulty. A smart GM doesn't lose his intelligence like a player loses his physical skills. To say a presently underperforming player doesn't deserve criticism because of his past accomplishments is folly.

If I said they didn't deserve criticism, you might have a point.

QUOTE(Wealz @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 11:42 PM)
Wrong again. At least you're consistent.

It beats being a prick.

;)

QUOTE(Wealz @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 11:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're happy with the Vazquez deal and the Contreras signing Dorf?

I was happy with the Vazquez deal at first, but he has not lived up to expectations

I am happy with Contreras even with the current concerns with his health, something you are not aware of.

The Garcia trade then signing was worth it because of his efforts in 2004 and in 2005. KW must've known something as well because he tried moving him this offseason.

I have never been a fan of Garland, didn't like the deal he got, but he can continue making me doubt him as long as he wins games

I wanted to see Buehrle extended during the season, but with his current stretch, I am currently having my doubts.

For next season; Trade Garcia to the NL. He has always been an AL pitcher, so many teams have not seen him before, and off the top of my head I recall him pitching well in interleague over the years especially against the Cubs

Can't trade Vazquez because people will think KW and the Sox are admitting it was a bad trade. People wanted to cast Contreras out of here during this time a couple of seasons ago, but after some adjustments he turned out to be terrific. KW has always had it for Vazquez, and he was not brought here to be a one year mercenary.

Could trade Garland, but you need to have a lot of confidence in Contreras' health, Vazquez's ability, and another rookie or journeyman pitcher because I can't see Freddy on the Sox next year.

Don't really see the point in trading Buehrle because his value is low and he's only signed for one more year.

There is currently talk about the CBA eliminating compensation picks as part of the next agreement (like around July of 2002 when the Sox got nothing for Durham) so there's really no point for a team to trade for Mark unless they are assured they can sign him to a long term deal.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 11:42 PM)
Anyone that suggests that we shouldnt of signed the Count after his dominant last year, for the money he is making needs therapy. When did you think it was a bad idea to sign him, after his great start this year, or when you were real smart and it was after his DL stint.

The guy is hurt, give me a break.

Three years is a LONG time for a pitcher as "experienced" as Contreras. Williams was thinking more with his hear than his head which is somewhat understandable given the World Series.

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 11:49 PM)
If I said they didn't deserve criticism, you might have a point.

You said: "Hysterical.. you give Kenny a pass.. someone that sat in an office while the players played their asses off.. but you won't give the actual guys that did all the work some slack."

I took "slack" as meaning criticizing less, but I'll adjust my previous post because of your objection:

I was teaching you why your logic was faulty. A smart GM doesn't lose his intelligence like a player loses his physical skills. To say a presently underperforming player deserves slack because of his past accomplishments is folly.

QUOTE(Wealz @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 11:52 PM)
Three years is a LONG time for a pitcher as "experienced" as Contreras. Williams was thinking more with his hear than his head which is somewhat understandable given the World Series.

So what do you suggest, a 1 year contract with team options for the next 2 years on the no suckage clause in his contract. Sure Contreras's agent is a moron. He would of done it.

So what other ptichers would you have plugged in there after this year.

You realize that Freddy fastball is throwing 86 and is in the last year of his contract next year. We might be wise to ditch him. So how much of our rotation do you want to replace, and with what.

QUOTE(shoota @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 11:54 PM)
You said: "Hysterical.. you give Kenny a pass.. someone that sat in an office while the players played their asses off.. but you won't give the actual guys that did all the work some slack."

I took "slack" as meaning criticizing less, but I'll adjust my previous post because of your objection:

I was teaching you why your logic was faulty. A smart GM doesn't lose his intelligence like a player loses his physical skills. To say a presently underperforming player deserves slack because of his past accomplishments is folly.

Don't quit your day job, kid.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 11:50 PM)
Its funny when people forget your Q&A session with KW at soxfest. :ph34r:

Even this year he got some. I am the last person to lets s*** slide. But I am also the first to give someone a chance.

I can't imagine what it must be like to be so perfect. Maybe lonely and pathetic...

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 11:55 PM)
So what do you suggest, a 1 year contract with team options for the next 2 years on the no suckage clause in his contract. Sure Contreras's agent is a moron. He would of done it.

So what other ptichers would you have plugged in there after this year.

You realize that Freddy fastball is throwing 86 and is in the last year of his contract next year. We might be wise to ditch him. So how much of our rotation do you want to replace, and with what.

The point isn't who would you replace Contreras with, it's that they might've signed their new Jamie Navarro.

QUOTE(Wealz @ Sep 2, 2006 -> 12:01 AM)
The point isn't who would you replace Contreras with, it's that they might've signed their new Jamie Navarro.

So you beleive that Contreras just lost it. That he just sucks now. He was the most dominant pitcher for a year, then poof done.

You dont buy the injury.

Unless Contreras' supposed health issues miraculously right themself, we're not going to reach the playoffs without McCarthy in the rotation.

How many starters can we consistently count on a decent pitching performance now? ONE, in Garland?

If Williams doesn't atleast try several starts with McCarthy, it's his own damn fault. Fine, no trade deadline moves were made aside from MacDougal; I understand that. But not improving our rotation with a valuable piece from last year is inexcusable. It'll undoubtedly be a topic he'll be criticized for this upcoming offseason. It's frustrating watching this unfold when you consider half the damn board said McCarthy should have been stretched for the rotation around midseason.

No matter who McCarthy initially replaced -- whether it was Garcia or Vazquez -- he would have been able to pitch 6+ innings by now if the move were approved in July/Early August.