Charlie Haeger

jackie hayes

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 03:50 PM)
That depends on an awful lot of variables. I.e. guys who are having career years this year not regressing (K. Rogers, Bonderman, Verlander, Maroth), a lot of young guys staying healthy (Verlander, Maroth, Liriano), and we've seen in recent years in Chicago that guys can unexpectedly go from very down years to very up years.

If Mark Buehrle puts up a 3.25 ERA next year, Jon Garland goes for 20 wins, and Vaz/Jose find a way to put up something, anything...and McCarthy gives us anywhere close to what he's capable of putting up...all of which are within the realm of possibility...there's no reason why our pitching staff can't match up with anyone in the Central.

That of course assumes that guys won't suddenly decide to suck, which in some ways is a problem for any pitcher in the division except 1.

I didn't even see this post, must be going blind.

But i completely agree, the sox have the best offense in baseball and that was with 1/3 there line up not producing for the first half, and 2/9ths in the second half, i have to believe at the very least we could maintain what this offense did this year if not get even better.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(beautox @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 02:38 PM)
I didn't even see this post, must be going blind.

But i completely agree, the sox have the best offense in baseball and that was with 1/3 there line up not producing for the first half, and 2/9ths in the second half, i have to believe at the very least we could maintain what this offense did this year if not get even better.

On some level though, the offense is almost certain to take at least one step backwards...because it's very hard for me to see Jermaine Dye putting up these sorts of numbers again next year.

Konerko? Yeah, this is right where he should be. Thome? Maybe a little worse, maybe a little better, you never know with a guy like him. Iguchi? He's right where he was last year overall. Crede? Ok, this is a career year, but it's something we've been hoping for from him for a while. He could, however, take a step back next year. Anderson? Giant step forwards is required. AJ? Well, he's pretty close to his career numbers as well, but he might be down a little bit next season.

So, on the guys we have who look like starters for next year...we have at least 1 who has a lot of room for improvement, a couple who are right where they should be, and a couple who could take small-medium steps backwards. And then there's always the injury issue on top of that. So it's entirely possible our offense could lose some amount of potency next year, just based on Dye and a couple others hitting a few skids.

If you're smart...you'll also notice the 2 positions I didn't mention...SS and LF...both of which have massive amounts of room for improvement.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 04:46 PM)
On some level though, the offense is almost certain to take at least one step backwards...because it's very hard for me to see Jermaine Dye putting up these sorts of numbers again next year.

Konerko? Yeah, this is right where he should be. Thome? Maybe a little worse, maybe a little better, you never know with a guy like him. Iguchi? He's right where he was last year overall. Crede? Ok, this is a career year, but it's something we've been hoping for from him for a while. He could, however, take a step back next year. Anderson? Giant step forwards is required. AJ? Well, he's pretty close to his career numbers as well, but he might be down a little bit next season.

So, on the guys we have who look like starters for next year...we have at least 1 who has a lot of room for improvement, a couple who are right where they should be, and a couple who could take small-medium steps backwards. And then there's always the injury issue on top of that. So it's entirely possible our offense could lose some amount of potency next year, just based on Dye and a couple others hitting a few skids.

If you're smart...you'll also notice the 2 positions I didn't mention...SS and LF...both of which have massive amounts of room for improvement.

This is how i realisticly see our line up hitting next year

Thome - .285/35-40/100

Konerko - .285/35-40/100

Dye - .285/30-35/100

Anderson - .270/15/60

Sweeney - .290/10/45

Crede - .290/30/100

Iguchi - .280/15/60

AJP - .290/10-15/60

SS - .285+/15/60

i also think with a line up like that even with Dye coming off an MVP caliber season, the line up offers ton of protection and with Sweeney batting leadoff and dye and thome in the 3-4, hes going to see a steady diet of fastballs. I don't see a better offensive team in baseball, except maybe the yankees, but i think it would be 1-2, really close.

that team is going to hit over 200HR again.

and average wise thats a conservaite est.

I think this is a very classy act by Tim Wakefield. From Scott Merkin on MLB.Com:

Learning the trade:

Tim Wakefield had an interested bystander as he threw a simulated game on Wednesday. White Sox rookie Charlie Haeger watched the game's premier knuckleballer over the last decade in action and picked his brain in between innings. Haeger was there at Wakefield's invite, extended Monday.

"I talked to him a couple of days ago and mentioned to him that I was going to throw a simulated game today and if he wanted to come out and watch, I'd be more than happy for him to come out and talk to him between innings," Wakefield said. "We talked about things, and I'm anxious to see him throw.

"It's nice to be able to talk to somebody who went through what I went through at a young age. I was lucky to have Charlie Hough and the Niekro brothers and [Tom] Candiotti to talk shop."

personally im also not against trading 2 of our SP's this offseason and giving the last 2 spots to B-Mac and a competition of Haeger/Broadway for the 5th spot. The loser of those 2 would of course go to triple A and become our 6th starter. Than Tracey could probably take B-Macs role in the bullpen and if we wanted Logan could take Cotts role.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Sep 7, 2006 -> 11:09 PM)
personally im also not against trading 2 of our SP's this offseason and giving the last 2 spots to B-Mac and a competition of Haeger/Broadway for the 5th spot. The loser of those 2 would of course go to triple A and become our 6th starter. Than Tracey could probably take B-Macs role in the bullpen and if we wanted Logan could take Cotts role.

With the way Vazquez has looked over the past month and a half, I've got no doubts he'll be part of this ballclub next season.

That means Freddy is the odd man out.

Broadway probably needs a year down at AAA. The tough pitching environment down there will do him some good, before he's a member of this rotation.

I would also rather sign a FA on a 1 year deal with incentives before instantly handing the job to Haeger or Broadway. Probably be good for Haeger to get some experience at the major league level in the bullpen first, just like Mark Buehrle really, and if he's sucessful there, you don't have to move him.

I think Haeger is gaining valuable experience this last month of the season. He should have been out of the inning if Uribe hadn't made a throwing error. He showed some moxie by battling back and almost getting out of the inning without giving up a run. He looked sharp in the 7th with two K's before he was lifted for Cotts to pitch against the lefty (not sure I understand that move...righty, lefty when there's a knuckleballer on the mound!) He is showing that he can get ML hitters out!

QUOTE(shawnhillegas @ Sep 7, 2006 -> 10:25 AM)
he struck out 12 AAA hitters last night. hes ready for the big show.

Forgot to mention that Haeger's a starting pitcher and is not accostomed to coming out of the bullpen. He will need make the required adjustments to be successful. I would love to see him start a few games before the end of the year where he can prepare with his normal pregame routine to see how he performs in a familiar role.

QUOTE(beautox @ Sep 7, 2006 -> 03:37 PM)
:cheers to wakefield, i love when people are class acts.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Sep 8, 2006 -> 12:44 AM)
Are people really suggesting haeger in the rotation? Really bold prediction on my part... haeger will not be in the chicago white sox starting rotation.

I hope he's not a member of the White Sox organization. That's not based on anything that's happened in his brief major league career either. He should have at least some decent trade value and I just can't trust a knuckleballer, ya I'm racist against knuckleballers. :P

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 8, 2006 -> 03:46 PM)
I hope he's not a member of the White Sox organization. That's not based on anything that's happened in his brief major league career either. He should have at least some decent trade value and I just can't trust a knuckleballer, ya I'm racist against knuckleballers. :P

Probably now would be the most ideal time to move him, since his value is at the highest it's really ever been (well earlier on in the season it was probably even higher).

Still it's something KW probably wouldn't consider I would imagine.

You guys are ready to dump this kid after 9 innings pitched at the ML level? Remember, Haeger has the most wins in the WhiteSox organization and minor league baseball over the last two years. If you add in his stint in winter ball, he has a record of 32-14. Don't be so hasty on such a young prospect after such a short time......I like his stuff...nasty! He will be a #4 or #5 pitcher in a ML rotation very soon. Look at Wakefield's career. Every year he starts out as the #4 starter and usually, (not this year due to an injury), ends up as a #2 or #3 due to injuries, etc. with the guys positioned ahead of him. The White Sox would be crazy to trade him!

QUOTE(beautox @ Sep 8, 2006 -> 06:08 AM)
Word, personally I love watching Knuckleballers, they're a dying breed. I just love how the ball dances.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Sep 8, 2006 -> 12:44 AM)
Are people really suggesting haeger in the rotation? Really bold prediction on my part... haeger will not be in the chicago white sox starting rotation.

I think its becoming glaringly obvious to the people who have mentioned that he may.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 7, 2006 -> 10:48 PM)
Probably now would be the most ideal time to move him, since his value is at the highest it's really ever been (well earlier on in the season it was probably even higher).

Still it's something KW probably wouldn't consider I would imagine.

Honestly, I don't believe that's true. His value is still pretty low compared to the numbers he's put up, because he's a knuckleballer.

If you had a guy who just turned 23 throwing 97 who had put up a 14-6 record, a 3.07 ERA in Charlotte, and was chewing up innings...you'd have one of the best prospects in baseball. But because he's a knuckleballer instead of a guy with a big fastball...teams don't always buy into his ability to get people out.

You know what would really raise his trade value? Pitching in the big leagues and putting up non-terrible numbers...as he's doing right now to some extent. People can project how a 97 mph fastball translates to the big leagues. People can't project how a knuckleball translates to the big leagues until they've seen it.

I will say this about Haeger. I sat right at the end of the bullpen last night where he was warming up. His knuckler does have alot of bite to it. But you can tell that he is still working on his mechanics to a great extent. Even Art had to come over and work with his release during his warmups. I would say another year or two on Charlie.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 8, 2006 -> 09:07 AM)
I will say this about Haeger. I sat right at the end of the bullpen last night where he was warming up. His knuckler does have alot of bite to it. But you can tell that he is still working on his mechanics to a great extent. Even Art had to come over and work with his release during his warmups. I would say another year or two on Charlie.

Is it possible that part of the problem there was Haeger warming up as a relief pitcher, and not having a full warmup, with long toss and everything, to start the game? I mean, if McCarthy has struggled with some of his "touch" pitches like the changeup this season coming out of the pen, I can't imagine getting a knuckler into a groove would be any easier.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 8, 2006 -> 11:11 AM)
Is it possible that part of the problem there was Haeger warming up as a relief pitcher, and not having a full warmup, with long toss and everything, to start the game? I mean, if McCarthy has struggled with some of his "touch" pitches like the changeup this season coming out of the pen, I can't imagine getting a knuckler into a groove would be any easier.

I dont know honestly. He warmed up a long time. You could just tell that he was trying to repeat his mechanics very hard. Its kinda hard to explain without acting it. But you could tell he was trying to stay in the same arm slot actively. I think its just not comfortable yet for him.