Has this team quit?

fathom

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 07:34 PM)
Awful=contrary to your opinion, it seems.

That's all anything on this board is. Opinion. Despite the fact that there is no evidence that anybody on this team has quit. The one guy people would pen that on went out and shut them down tonight.

Just because you are playing like s*** doesn't mean you aren't trying.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 08:35 PM)
Thanks for the personal attack. You've really been missed. Do you really think this is an awful post? You really don't think this team has quit?

They're just playing bad baseball right now, they'll pick it up soon, all they need is for Podsednik to go on a tear which he will afterall he was the MVP of the World champs last year. This team is still 20 or so games over .500 and still has not hit their stride, just wait until they start playing their best baseball LOOK OUT AMERICAN LEAGUE!!!!!11111111

QUOTE(GoRowand33 @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 01:37 AM)
lets all send ozzie angry emails for encouragement :lol:

Nope....do the opposite. Send him e-mails about how Pods needs to play every day, and Mackowiak should be in CF. He's in the mode where he feels like it's him against the world, so lets do some reverse psychology.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 07:35 PM)
Thanks for the personal attack. You've really been missed. Do you really think this is an awful post? You really don't think this team has quit?

Of course they haven't quit. Are you really serious? Why would this team quit? I mean, I can't believe what I'm reading around here.

But I shouldn't be surprised. It was the same type of stuff going down the stretch last year, led by you.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 08:38 PM)
They're just playing bad baseball right now, they'll pick it up soon, all they need is for Podsednik to go on a tear which he will afterall he was the MVP of the World champs last year. This team is still 20 or so games over .500 and still has not hit their stride, just wait until they start playing their best baseball LOOK OUT AMERICAN LEAGUE!!!!!11111111

wow I didn't know that optimism was possible after 3 crushing defeats in a row

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 01:38 AM)
That's all anything on this board is. Opinion. Despite the fact that there is no evidence that anybody on this team has quit. The one guy people would pen that on went out and shut them down tonight.

Just because you are playing like s*** doesn't mean you aren't trying.

I don't think anyone has ever said Vazquez has quit. He just has a mental issue when it comes to the 6th inning. At least Vazquez cares enough to b**** about pitches that don't go his way. There's some other people who just seem to ground out, not hustle to first base, and then go into the dugout like it's no big deal.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 07:39 PM)
bagdad_bob_large.jpg

If you quit on the team now, Allah wont let you enjoy the fruits of championship glory. There is nothing wrong with the offense. We have the best record in .... ah Chicago..

I don't think anybody would dispute that there is something wrong with the offense right now. That doens't mean they quit. WHat kind of deduction is that?

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 01:39 AM)
Of course they haven't quit. Are you really serious? Why would this team quit? I mean, I can't believe what I'm reading around here.

But I shouldn't be surprised. It was the same type of stuff going down the stretch last year, led by you.

Never once did I say the team last year had quit. They were trying too hard, and they weren't having any fun on the field. For all my negativism, I was one of the few during the tough stretch who believed (along with Jason Gage), that once they made the playoffs, the pressure would be off, and they'd go on a roll.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 07:38 PM)

What does that have to do with the team quitting. It doesn't take a genius to tell that they aren't playing right now, but it seems I've stepped into bizarro world where playing like crap means they've quit.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 08:40 PM)
I don't think anybody would dispute that there is something wrong with the offense right now. That doens't mean they quit. WHat kind of deduction is that?

I never said they quit. Our offense is bad though. The Tampa Bay Devil Rays\Royals\Pirates would of put up at least a 4 spot on Julian last night, and this kid tonight would of been rocked.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 07:42 PM)
I never said they quit. Our offense is bad though. The Tampa Bay Devil Rays\Royals\Pirates would of put up at least a 4 spot on Julian last night, and this kid tonight would of been rocked.

This thread was about the team quitting. Why would you put something in the thread that wasn't about that discussion? Hmmm, I wonder....

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 07:43 PM)
The term "quitting" in baseball is similar to "choking". Obviously, they're not literally doing one or the other. However, when a team looks lazy on the field, shows no urgency on or off the field, and things go bad, then the term quitting is thrown around.

LOLOLOLOLOL

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 01:43 AM)
Shockingly it seems that the Twins have figured out how to beat the juggernaut Devil Rays at home. I dont know how they figured that one out, but they did. My hats off to them for going into the hornets nest and coming out with a W.

I thought I heard that they've won 14 straight vs the DRays.

EVERYBODY in the lineup is pull, pull pull right now.

The game we see guys like Crede, PK, and AJ try to use THE WHOLE FIELD TO HIT TO, we will stop getting completely owned by Kansas City, Tampa Bay, Julian Tavarez, and a AAA pitcher who never posted a winning record in his career.

That might be next season though.

Their plate approaches were horrible today.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 08:43 PM)
This thread was about the team quitting. Why would you put something in the thread that wasn't about that discussion? Hmmm, I wonder....

You should put your resume together, and get that over to the FBI stat. They could use someone with crack deduction skills like that.

Osama you better hide better, Jphat is coming for you.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 01:46 AM)
So quit doesn't ACTUALLY mean quit now huh?

It means exactly what I said. If it literally meant they quit, then that would mean they "to cease normal, expected, or necessary action". It's just like when we discussed choking last season. I think every person in this thread knows exactly what the term quit means in regards to sports.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 07:48 PM)
It means exactly what I said. If it literally meant they quit, then that would mean they "to cease normal, expected, or necessary action". It's just like when we discussed choking last season. I think every person in this thread knows exactly what the term quit means in regards to sports.

I think everybody knows that when you say quit, you mean they have given up. No need to try to spin it any other way. You've said as much at other times, no need to try and spin it. If you are gonna say it every other post, at least stand by it.