Could the Sox get MICHAEL YOUNG?

blazewc77

QUOTE(blazewc77 @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 10:02 AM)
Do you guys think we can get possibly Michael young for Uribe and Freddy Garcia and maybe a minor leaguer? Who would you give up ? or anyone else in the starting rotation instead of Freddy? :cheers

this is going to be a loooong offseason on soxtalk...

i nominate a new forum "non-justified trade speculation"... so i can ignore it and posts like this.

QUOTE(blazewc77 @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 10:02 AM)
Do you guys think we can get possibly Michael young for Uribe and Freddy Garcia and maybe a minor leaguer? Who would you give up ? or anyone else in the starting rotation instead of Freddy? :cheers

I think Michael Young is definitely on the sox' radar especially how Ozzie show how much he like Young during the ASB. If we can get it done with Vazquez, I'll trade Javier right away.

QUOTE(bulokis @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 11:18 AM)
I think Michael Young is definitely on the sox' radar especially how Ozzie show how much he like Young during the ASB. If we can get it done with Vazquez, I'll trade Javier right away.

Javy and Freddy hopefully raised their value, i for one want to find a lefty pitcher and get rid of buerhle. I would love Young and someone in the rangers bullpen.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 11:30 AM)
Put yourself in the spot of the Texas GM right now. Would YOu bite at an offensively retarded SS and a SP who has lost his fastball? If I was him, for Young I would be asking for Garland, Buehrle or BMAC. There is no way I would trade a batting-champion type player for those two.

rangers need pitching and lots of it....the could care less about uribe, they have spider arias.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 11:34 AM)
rangers need pitching and lots of it....the could care less about uribe, they have spider arias.

Agreed, but i think Uribe has some upside, at the very least you know what your going to get 20HR 65RBI and excellent to amazing defense having that while breaking in Arias isn't that bad. I think if you put him in Arlington with a new hitting coach he would flourish again and if he doesn't work out for '07 you have a .3mil buy out, if he does well in '08 you can deal him and get something in return. I think to aquire Young your going to have to give up Jose or Garland + Uribe and possibly paying a little on their contracts with a B level pitching spec coming back our way.

QUOTE(SoxFanInDallas @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 04:44 PM)
No. They love Michael here it Texas. If they did trade him, it would have to include a prospect pitcher or McCarthy and a hell of a lot better than Uribe to replace him at SS.

I have read around here that everybody is available, but MY would cost the most to get.

They are high on Michael Young but the asking price for Texiera has to be much higher. I wouldnt mind giving up a starter for a player like Young though. If we signed Dave Roberts or something like that to go with it our lineup would be much improved.

LF: Dave Roberts

SS: Michael Young

RF: Jermaine Dye

DH: Jim Thome

1B: Paul Konerko

3B: Joe Crede

C: AJ Pieryznski

2B: Tad Iguchi

CF: Brian Anderson

I love Michael Young, but we don't have what the Rangers would be asking. Garcia won't cut it. It would take at least one elite pitching prospect, something we don't have (unless McCarthy counts) and 2 other major league ready players (Garcia+McCarthy+Sweeney may get it done, but get real).

Further, for the price it would cost us to get Young, we could get so much more and add speed to the team. To give up what we would need to for Young we could get a very capable LF, SS (both with speed) and a bullpen guy.

Michael Young still doesn't solve our pen problems, our leadoff hitter problems and our speed problems. It's a silly move to even think about.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 03:10 PM)
Michael Young WOULD solve the leadoff hitter problems... He might not be a traditional speed guy, but he is a guy who is on base a ton.

I agree he could leadoff, and honestly i don't think that would be a bad idea. Young is just a great hitter, hes got over 200 hits again this year, and with him in the lead off spot he would have more ABs and i imagine it would cut down on his GIDPs a lil bit.

Young has two years left on his contract @ 07:$3.5M, 08:$4M club option (may increase to $5M) ($0.5M buyout)

His contract is really friendly.

I think Jose or Garland and Uribe would get it done, both of Jose & Garland have a few years left on their respective contracts.

Jose is locked up until 09 (07:$9M, 08:$10M, 09:$10M)

Jon is locked up until 08 (07:$10M, 08:$12M), Garland induces alot of GB thats definatly an asset in a place like texas.

Either Jose or Jon would help strengthen their SP and would make a good 1-2 punch with Millwood.

As for Uribe hes locked up till '08(07:$4.15M, 08:$5M club option ($0.3M buyout)), The Rangers are high on Arias and could break him in slowly with Juan and as ive stated you know what your going to get with Uribe 20HR 65RBI great to amazing defense, putting him in Arlington would only help him. If he sucks in '07 you only have to pay .3 to buy him out in '08, if he returns to form like when he first came to the sox you can deal him for something.

QUOTE(blazewc77 @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 03:02 PM)

Contending teamd don't trade criticalparts of their club just to fill some other need. We could get any player on any team if we are willing to trade a lot for one

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 04:07 PM)
If the choice were between Young or Rollins, it might be a toss up for which ever one we get cheaper. I think Julio Lugo is the most realistic option.

Julio Lugo's numbers in the 2nd half have still be abjectly awful. He is hitting .188 this month. There are 3 months out of this season where he's hit below .250. He had a very good June and July, after an injured April and a crappy May. He's followed it up with a crappy August and a "Worse than Podsednik" September. For the money he's asking for and may get...this season sure doesn't look like it'd be worth it. He's about as consistent as Uribe.