What would it be like to kick Bono in the nuts

juddling

QUOTE(shipps @ Oct 22, 2006 -> 05:41 AM)
Iam sorry but i think U2 is great.One of the better live shows there is out there.

This may be true but over the last 10 years or so Bono consistently seems to me to come off as a self-righteous, arrogant, blowhard who IMO needed a kcik in the nuts.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Oct 21, 2006 -> 05:52 PM)
I would prefer to rip out his vocal cords and cure his visions of gradeur that make his think he is John Lennon.

Bono doesn't think he is John Lennon, because that would be a step down in just about every way.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Oct 22, 2006 -> 01:47 PM)
Bono doesn't think he is John Lennon, because that would be a step down in just about every way.

He is certainly the overexposed torch bearer of the mixing of politics and rock music. The problem with Bono is most people really don't care about his opinions.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Oct 22, 2006 -> 02:18 PM)
He is certainly the overexposed torch bearer of the mixing of politics and rock music. The problem with Bono is most people really don't care about his opinions.

But having opinions and doing something...it is better than 50 "I got shot 9 times yet still can't rap for crap on anything that isn't produced by Eminem/Dre" Cent and the rest of the commercialized idiot pop/rock/rap that folds like a flan in a cupboard when it comes to issues of substance and doing anything even the slightest bit meaningful.

I don't enjoy U2 or their music, but gotta give a golf clap for him at least getting issues out there and doing something.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Oct 22, 2006 -> 07:37 PM)
But having opinions and doing something...it is better than 50 "I got shot 9 times yet still can't rap for crap on anything that isn't produced by Eminem/Dre" Cent and the rest of the commercialized idiot pop/rock/rap that folds like a flan in a cupboard when it comes to issues of substance and doing anything even the slightest bit meaningful.

I don't enjoy U2 or their music, but gotta give a golf clap for him at least getting issues out there and doing something.

Any points taken off for the hypocracy of wanting the government to spend tax money on his pet projects, them moving their company to a tax-haven to avoid paying taxes? That is reason alone to dismiss his politics.

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Oct 22, 2006 -> 03:29 PM)
Any points taken off for the hypocracy of wanting the government to spend tax money on his pet projects, them moving their company to a tax-haven to avoid paying taxes? That is reason alone to dismiss his politics.

No more than the average US company that does the exact same thing.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Oct 22, 2006 -> 08:36 PM)
No more than the average US company that does the exact same thing.

The average US company doesn't ask the Feds to use tax money to feed the poor, THEN find ways to lower their taxes. If Bono wants to feed all the starving Ugandians, he should use his own tax savings to pay for it and quit trying to use MY tax money to do it (or Englands,in this case). When corporations standup for a cause, they front their own money for it, and then ask others for donations. Not the government for tax money.

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Oct 22, 2006 -> 10:57 PM)
The average US company doesn't ask the Feds to use tax money to feed the poor, THEN find ways to lower their taxes. If Bono wants to feed all the starving Ugandians, he should use his own tax savings to pay for it and quit trying to use MY tax money to do it (or Englands,in this case). When corporations standup for a cause, they front their own money for it, and then ask others for donations. Not the government for tax money.

Um, companies don't ask the gov't for policies to help their agendas and then find ways to get around their responsibilities such as taxpaying?

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Oct 22, 2006 -> 05:57 PM)

Plenty of companies ask for taxpayer money to assist their agendas, pay for their stadiums etc. and then move (in name only) their headquarters to Bermuda or another area to avoid paying taxes.

So, why is it good business sense for these companies and then something bad for Bono to do? (Not that I'm condoning what this practice is -- just trying to flush out the double standard)

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Oct 22, 2006 -> 01:18 PM)

as opposed to Lennon? War is over, that's about all I can remember John talking about.

Perhaps it's in the way you approach things? Perhaps it's the time and place?

either way, Bono and The Edge > Lennon and Mccartney

as people and as musicians

Not only that, but to say either of those yahoo's are better than McCartney in a musical sense is absurd. He is an incredible musician who could play Edge and Bono under the table on almost any instrument you hand them. Plus Paul has a much stronger voice than Bono, and Pauls "yell" is still one of the greatest in the history of RnR. That bit about the yell is onbiously IMHO.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Oct 23, 2006 -> 01:02 PM)
as opposed to Lennon? War is over, that's about all I can remember John talking about.

Perhaps it's in the way you approach things? Perhaps it's the time and place?

either way, Bono and The Edge > Lennon and Mccartney

as people and as musicians

Go find the "Some Time In New York City" album PA. Working Class Hero, John Sinclair, Attica.... His political views very nearly got him deported. And it was more than just about the war.

Dumb question, was Sunday Bloody Sunday used during a program? Or as part of a commercial they paid for? If it was just in a promotional spot or as part of a tease during a broadcast, ESPN didn't need permission to use it. It just had to pay royalties to U2 for its use.

However, if the song was used for a paid commercial. U2 would have had to give permission.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Oct 23, 2006 -> 10:14 PM)
Dumb question, was Sunday Bloody Sunday used during a program? Or as part of a commercial they paid for? If it was just in a promotional spot or as part of a tease during a broadcast, ESPN didn't need permission to use it. It just had to pay royalties to U2 for its use.

However, if the song was used for a paid commercial. U2 would have had to give permission.

I actually don't recall the use of Sunday Bloody Sunday in NFL spots, but I've not followed football for several years unless my wife is watching the Bucs and I can't escape.

What I do recall however is some heavy use of "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses" in NFL broadcast spots for a while. can't recall if it was just rejoin or teaser music, though.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Oct 23, 2006 -> 10:14 PM)

It was used as a promo lead-in. So, if they just had to pay royalties and not give permission that makes it a little better (for U2). I remember just being absolutely stunned and pissed when I heard that.

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Oct 22, 2006 -> 01:29 PM)

Imagine that, a guy with money not wanting to give huge sums of it to the government in taxes. The Beatles should write a song about that.

Regarding Bono being a blow-hard. There's two things that charitible organizations really want and need. Time and money. Without people like Bono sacrificing their time, most organizations and causes simply do not get the recognition they need. The recognition is what raises money. Is there some hypocracy in his message? Sure. But, at least he's doing something.

Edited by Middle Buffalo