What to do with Neal

beck72

QUOTE(beck72 @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 05:23 AM)
Some people are speculating that Cotts could be traded. Realistically, that isn't going to happen. Some team would have to come in with an overwhelming offer. That isn't likely. The only teams that will overpay for a LH reliever are teams with a lot of cash and are perennial playoff contenders. Neal's horrible 2nd half of 2006 will scare those teams away. Other GM's will come with ridiculous low ball offers that KW should laugh at.

Not to mention who could replace Neal. LH relievers are hard to come by. Jamie Walker will be very expensive, and he could go to virtually any team in the majors. Boone Logan probably isn't ready. So for what the sox could get in return for Neal, and the cost it would take to get a replacement, a trade probably isn't worth it. And what happens if Thornton has trouble. The sox would be back to square one with Neal gone.

Can Neal bounce back and come near his 2005 and 1st half of 2006? Who knows [iMO, the workload of 05, coupled with the busy 1st half of 2006 when Neal had to pick up the slack left by Cliff not being reliable contributed to Neal's 2nd half drop.] But it's more likely than the sox picking up someone new to come in and put up those same numbers. Neal's 1st half was very respectable, posting a sub .300 ERA. It's his horrible 2nd half that most of us remember.

For my money, Neal should stay. And have an eRA for '07 near 3.00 like his 1st half of 06. 2005 may have been a career yr for Neal. But something close to what he did then would still be very valuable

spoke to soon

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 05:46 PM)
I think we should trade him to the Cubs, they might want to slot him into a starting pitchers slot. Maybe we can get David Aardsma and Carlos Vasquez for him?

is that all??? that would be a terrible deal for a hard throwing lefty with just one bad year last year. We can get much more than that!!! :D :D

QUOTE(beck72 @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 07:15 PM)
I'm sure the cubs will try. that's the scary part.

Well its only scary for cub fans .Think about it :They put Cotts in the rotation , he fails miserabley and Sox fans have yet something else to make fun of cub fans about .I really like the idea !

QUOTE(Leonard Zelig @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 07:31 PM)
Is there a quote from Hendry somewhere saying that he may start for them?

Yes there is .I heard this afternoon on espn radio .Hendry said that he and Lou would talk to Cotts about it .All Cotts has to do is develope a few more pitches and its put me in coach im ready to start .

QUOTE(R.Sweeney @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 08:11 PM)
Yes there is .I heard this afternoon on espn radio .Hendry said that he and Lou would talk to Cotts about it .All Cotts has to do is develope a few more pitches and its put me in coach im ready to start .

If I remember right when he came up he already had fastball, curve, slider and change up. But they shelved the slider in the bullpen. There is also a lot more money in starting than relieving so I'd expect he'd look at it would favorably. I'd really like to see Neal do well but the grubs! Maybe he can set the record for low ERA and WHIP among 20 game losers in the NL and sign a big contract elsewhere.

QUOTE(TLAK @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 08:22 PM)
If I remember right when he came up he already had fastball, curve, slider and change up. But they shelved the slider in the bullpen. There is also a lot more money in starting than relieving so I'd expect he'd look at it would favorably. I'd really like to see Neal do well but the grubs! Maybe he can set the record for low ERA and WHIP among 20 game losers in the NL and sign a big contract elsewhere.

Oh ok ,you mean be the Chubs version of Detroits Maroth a few years back ? :lolhitting