Question

jasonxctf

there's been some speculation about the Sox making a deal with the D-Rays for Carl Crawford. If they did trade for Crawford (say McCarthy/Fields or Vazquez/Fields, etc) would you give Podsednik a chance to play CF instead of Anderson. Thus the lineup would be...

1) Crawford-LF

2) Iguchi-2B

3) Dye-RF

4) Thome-DH

5) Konerko-1B

6) AJ-C

7) Crede-3B

8) Uribe-SS

9) Podsednik-CF

I know the Crawford isn't your typical leadoff hitter (with his power) however the .348 OBP and 58 SB would be a nice tablesetter for Iguchi, Dye and Thome. Plus with Podsednik hitting 9th, his speed followed up by Crawford's speed and average could produce a lot of runs.

Personally I'd rather have Podsednik hitting 9th and playing CF than Anderson doing the same.

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Nov 22, 2006 -> 01:53 PM)
there's been some speculation about the Sox making a deal with the D-Rays for Carl Crawford. If they did trade for Crawford (say McCarthy/Fields or Vazquez/Fields, etc) would you give Podsednik a chance to play CF instead of Anderson. Thus the lineup would be...

1) Crawford-LF

2) Iguchi-2B

3) Dye-RF

4) Thome-DH

5) Konerko-1B

6) AJ-C

7) Crede-3B

8) Uribe-SS

9) Podsednik-CF

I know the Crawford isn't your typical leadoff hitter (with his power) however the .348 OBP and 58 SB would be a nice tablesetter for Iguchi, Dye and Thome. Plus with Podsednik hitting 9th, his speed followed up by Crawford's speed and average could produce a lot of runs.

Personally I'd rather have Podsednik hitting 9th and playing CF than Anderson doing the same.

I would love for the Sox to nab Crawford, but I don't think the Sox will give up B-Mac because he gives them payroll flexibility, and I don't think the D-Rays would take Vazquez because of his salary.

Either way, Pods will not be starting in CF in 2007.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 22, 2006 -> 11:02 AM)
The same jackass that stuck Mack in CF for half the season was quoted as saying Podsednik might have been able to play CF on a team like the Brewers, but not on a team trying to win a title.

That should tell you a little something about his D.

:lolhitting

QUOTE(klaus kinski @ Nov 22, 2006 -> 01:39 PM)
Well, the decent CF's are all being signed while we sleep-Crawford is about all thats left-with likely a rising price tag

If being "awake" means giving 5 years $55 million to Gary Mathews Jr, or a huge contract to JD Drew, then Kenny Williams could be Rip Van Winkle for all I care.

[turns on soothing soft playing nursery rhymes]

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 22, 2006 -> 07:50 PM)
If being "awake" means giving 5 years $55 million to Gary Mathews Jr, or a huge contract to JD Drew, then Kenny Williams could be Rip Van Winkle for all I care.

[turns on soothing soft playing nursery rhymes]

i'm caught in the middle here with the whole free agent issue. this is a marketplace where the price of quality free agents is more and more each and every year. konerko was approx $10mil per year last year. the marketplace would probably place him at $15-16 mil per year this year, and probably $18mil next year if he was a free agent during those periods.

so you're caught between a rock and a hard place. we all may think that matthews, pierre, soriano, etc are overpriced this year, but their contracts may seem like bargains (ala Konerko) in 2 years when the marketplace is $15 million/yr for an average outfielder or starting pitcher.

so do you bite the bullet now, lock guys in at what seems to be high rates to hedge against the future increases, or do you roll the dice and hope that the marketplace settles back down in a few years?

The benefit that this gives us that BA's trade value continues to rise tremendously with Pierre getting $9 mil/year and Gary Matthews getting $10 mil/year. He will be under the control of the team that signs him for a while and plays a position that is far too overpriced in free agency. That can be a big chip in acquiring someone like Michael Young from a team that is looking to replace their CF'er and have payroll flexibility to sign another slugger.

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Nov 22, 2006 -> 02:21 PM)
i'm caught in the middle here with the whole free agent issue. this is a marketplace where the price of quality free agents is more and more each and every year. konerko was approx $10mil per year last year. the marketplace would probably place him at $15-16 mil per year this year, and probably $18mil next year if he was a free agent during those periods.

so you're caught between a rock and a hard place. we all may think that matthews, pierre, soriano, etc are overpriced this year, but their contracts may seem like bargains (ala Konerko) in 2 years when the marketplace is $15 million/yr for an average outfielder or starting pitcher.

so do you bite the bullet now, lock guys in at what seems to be high rates to hedge against the future increases, or do you roll the dice and hope that the marketplace settles back down in a few years?

Not true, the market fluctuates. Last year, Kong got a pretty decent deal considering what other free agents were signing for. All it takes is for one GM/owner to go crazy (Hendry w/ Soriano, Colletti w/ Pierre) and it sets the market for the rest.

For instance, what if Zito signs for 5/$50 mil? Not saying it WILL happen, but if he did, then that's the market value and all other contracts are signed according to that.

Remember the Ramirez, A-Rod and I forget the third player...they all signed ridiculous contracts and then after that, it simmered. And that's what always happens, it's cyclical.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Nov 22, 2006 -> 04:05 PM)
I disagree...he was able to get Crawford for Vazquez and Fields. That's a great trade. I'm surprised he was able to talk the DRays into that one.

That will NEVER happen. We are talking about the D-Rays here. One of the lowest payroles in the league and will not take on a salarie like Javy"s. They have already said they want more than just pitching prospects, they want a young pitcher(s) who can start for them in 07. Thats why we keep hearing about BMc as possible trad-bait.

If the D-Rays would take Javy/ Fields for Crawford I will buy them first class tickets on the flight out of Chicago and as an added bonus some hookers for the long flight to Tampa.

In other word I totaly agre with you hitless.

QUOTE(R.Sweeney @ Nov 22, 2006 -> 04:51 PM)
Oh, I havent heard that. Well that could be a scenerio. Could be used as part of a three-way too.

From ESPN

"No movement on the D-Train

Nov 14 - The Marlins aren't expected to dangle Dontrelle Willis as trade bait just yet, the Palm Beach Post reports. Despite speculation that the left-hander could be moved, a National League general manager said that the Fish are telling teams that Willis is not available.

Before Florida parts with Willis, the club will try to move pitchers such as Sergio Mitre, Jason Vargas or Yusmeiro Petit. "