Winter Meetings Thread

RME JICO

John Delcos of The Journal News says Rich Harden's name is coming up more in talks between the A's and Mets than Joe Blanton's and that a package of Lastings Milledge, Aaron Heilman and Philip Humber could get a deal done.

From Roto:

What would it take for the sox to get those 3?

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(ChiSox9 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 06:18 PM)
John Delcos of The Journal News says Rich Harden's name is coming up more in talks between the A's and Mets than Joe Blanton's and that a package of Lastings Milledge, Aaron Heilman and Philip Humber could get a deal done.

From Roto:

a guy with the upside of harden.....which we dont have

QUOTE(iamshack @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 06:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are you suggesting you would rather entertain the notion of Humberto Sanchez for Mark? I don't know about you, but at least this gives us back a quality player in return, at an affordable salary. It also solves our leadoff man quandry, as clears payroll for perhaps another move, maybe even for a deal including a Left fielder.

It would be completely pointless to trade a starter and not make a net gain on our current team. The Sox aren't going to pay $4.5 million for Uribe to be a super sub, and Uribe doesn't have much trade value to begin with.

Young has a career .335 OBP batting #1, regardless, he hasn't led off in a game since 2004. I will remain skeptical of Young until his consistently improves his road numbers. He had a great 2005, and I wouldn't mind having him over Uribe, but I'm certainly not going to trade Buehrle + another major leaguer (Yes, I know it's Pods) to conduct the experiment.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 04:23 PM)

Mark Buehrle (yeah, he's older and therefore more expensive, but he also has a much better history of health).

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 04:24 PM)
It would be completely pointless to trade a starter and not make a net gain on our current team. The Sox aren't going to pay $4.5 million for Uribe to be a super sub, and Uribe doesn't have much trade value to begin with.

Young has a career .335 OBP batting #1, regardless, he hasn't led off in a game since 2004. I will remain skeptical of Young until his consistently improves his road numbers. He had a great 2005, and I wouldn't mind having him over Uribe, but I'm certainly not going to trade Buehrle + another major leaguer (Yes, I know it's Pods) to conduct the experiment.

Buehrle has a much greater value than Young. But that doesn't mean that one of our favorite pitchers, i.e. Danks, couldn't be attached by Texas to sweeten the deal. And there better be something else attached if Buehrles were to go.

Young would also to my eyes be an absolutely ideal #2 hitter, and while his defense at SS isn't anything to write home about, I believe he also does have the ability to play 2nd base, and the White Sox have a 2nd baseman who just happens to be a Free Agent at the end of 2007.

If we're stuck with Podsednik at the top of the order, Podsednik/Young > Podsednik/Iguchi.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 07:41 PM)
Mark Buehrle (yeah, he's older and therefore more expensive, but he also has a much better history of health).

Buehrle has a much greater value than Young. But that doesn't mean that one of our favorite pitchers, i.e. Danks, couldn't be attached by Texas to sweeten the deal. And there better be something else attached if Buehrles were to go.

Young would also to my eyes be an absolutely ideal #2 hitter, and while his defense at SS isn't anything to write home about, I believe he also does have the ability to play 2nd base, and the White Sox have a 2nd baseman who just happens to be a Free Agent at the end of 2007.

If we're stuck with Podsednik at the top of the order, Podsednik/Young > Podsednik/Iguchi.

We are overvaluing our own players. Im pretty sure that Texas fans would laugh at the notion of Danks and Young for rent-a-Buerhle.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 11:23 AM)

Take out Heilman, put in Garcia, Milledge and Humber for Garcia I would do.

If Vazquez was traded, I'd ask the Mets for another prospect (one that isn't in their top 5, but would still interest us).

QUOTE(iamshack @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 07:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, let's ask ourselves this question....

If Barry Zito were still with the A's, and was a FA after 2007' instead of this year, would you be in favor of a deal sending Joe Crede to the A's for Zito and Jay Payton?

You can't trade Joe Crede for two free agents, and ever hear of a guy named "Eric Chavez?"

-n00b

What is the point in discussing this fictious situation? Are you trying to compare Chavez to Uribe, Young to Crede, Payton to Podsednik and Zito to Buehrle????

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 07:09 PM)
You can't trade Joe Crede for two free agents, and ever hear of a guy named "Eric Chavez?"

-n00b

What is the point in discussing this fictious situation? Are you trying to compare Chavez to Uribe, Young to Crede, Payton to Podsednik and Zito to Buehrle????

There is a reason I asked you to imagine Zito was a FA after NEXT season.

The point was to try and put you in someone else's shoes for once. We all get attached to our own players, and sometimes we are a little unobjective when it comes to their value.

I understand the metrics say Young isn't Juan Uribe defensively, but he is still a solid all-around player, and an all-star at that. Additionally, Ozzie is a big fan of him, contrary to what another poster seemed to think would be the case.

Anyways, excuse me for trying to get you to look at it from a Texas perspective. Carry on, with your black and white tinted glasses.

QUOTE(shawnhillegas @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 06:48 PM)
We are overvaluing our own players. Im pretty sure that Texas fans would laugh at the notion of Danks and Young for rent-a-Buerhle.

I'm getting that feeling too. It seems that we are going to get no more than one top prospect STRAIGHT UP for one of our starters. If that is the case then we should look to sign Buehrle to an extention and trade Garcia at the deadline in July. If the best package we could get is Milledge for Buehrle, then either the fans are overvaluing our starters or teams would much rather pay ridiculous amounts for #4 or #5 starters than pony up top talent for a member of the Sox rotation. I think our overvaluing of the Sox starters has to do with that the scouts like pitchers who K a lot of batters, and Vazquez is the only guy in the rotation who does that, but he does it with an ERA in the mid to high 4s, which makes him only as attractive as a guy like Gil Meche, who does the same thing, and teams can get Meche for less money than we are paying Vazquez. So I think we might end up with the situation that McCarthy is in AAA next spring, and we have basically the same team that we had to end 2006 besides the Cotts-Aardsma trade. :(

QUOTE(iamshack @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 05:01 PM)
Well, let's ask ourselves this question....

If Barry Zito were still with the A's, and was a FA after 2007' instead of this year, would you be in favor of a deal sending Joe Crede to the A's for Zito and Jay Payton?

In that hypothetical, I'd make that deal in a fraction of a second.

QUOTE(ChiSox9 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 06:18 PM)

From Roto:

We won't get those three. Garcia/Vazquez could maybe net us Humber and Heilman.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 07:37 PM)
Knowing that Zito would walk in a year?

'cuz the devil is gonna get him mad money

Buehrle's agent isn't Boras, so there's a shot that he could be resigned.

Regarding the actual deal itself, ya I'd make that deal. I don't see a reason not to. Worst case scenario, you're looking at like two sandwich picks.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 05:37 PM)
Knowing that Zito would walk in a year?

Knowing that I could hold Zito and get draft picks for him, or that I could make an effort to sign him, or that I could deal him midseason, and considering the fact that Zito's overall value is so ungodly much higher than Crede, yes, I absolutely make that deal, and getting another OF that I could move somewhere else or fill a hole would just be icing on the cake.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 12:34 PM)
Kenny should be drooling right now...

Richie Sexson will be out the door next, for I dunno, Noah Lowry, because he's a SP and he's a lefty, which ticks all of Bavasi's boxes.

Good luck to the Mariners winning over 70 games next season.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 07:42 PM)
Knowing that I could hold Zito and get draft picks for him, or that I could make an effort to sign him, or that I could deal him midseason, and considering the fact that Zito's overall value is so ungodly much higher than Crede, yes, I absolutely make that deal, and getting another OF that I could move somewhere else or fill a hole would just be icing on the cake.

Well Balta, I suppose I think you have a somewhat more realistic way of looking at our player's value than most...

Not sure if I missed it...would you do this Buehrle deal for Young?

QUOTE(iamshack @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 05:48 PM)
Well Balta, I suppose I think you have a somewhat more realistic way of looking at our player's value than most...

Not sure if I missed it...would you do this Buehrle deal for Young?

From the White Sox side? I make them add in a pitching prospect (Danks-level) and have the Sox hold onto Podsednik, maybe more. From Texas's side? I figure if KW is that stupid, I try to bargain for an A ball pitcher or two just to see if he'll bite, but I jump at it.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 07:51 PM)
From the White Sox side? I make them add in a pitching prospect (Danks-level) and have the Sox hold onto Podsednik, maybe more. From Texas's side? I figure if KW is that stupid, I try to bargain for an A ball pitcher or two just to see if he'll bite, but I jump at it.

And Jon Daniels would laugh at you.

Should we just wait until he's released?

Jose Molina-C- Angels Dec. 6 - 9:18 pm et

The Angels will consider moving Jose Molina, possibly for a left-handed reliever.

Molina isn't going to bring much in return, but some club may want him as a backup. If the Angels move him, they could then go with a tandem of Mike Napoli and Jeff Mathis next season.