Winter Meetings Thread

RME JICO

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 10:43 AM)
Rotoworld is speculating that the Schmidt signing would allow LA to ship Brad Penny in a package to Boston for ManRam.

Wow, that would make a lot of sense for Boston. They added offense than move Manny and with Penny and Matsueka they'd have a pretty damn formidable rotation. I have disagreed with the money going around, but Epstein would have made the BoSox a lot better.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 03:02 PM)
Houston is an interesting trade partner, but I would rather have Troy Patton than Hirsch. Patton's more of a high upside guy. Maybe Burke+Patton for Freddy.

That's why KW's not interested in him at all. Every Sox fan should know by now that KW doesn't trade vital and very valuable pieces for high upside guys, which is why it should be no surprise at all that Hirsh interests the Sox quite a bit. I'd like Hirsh very much.

Just to break it up a little... how come normal everyday work life can't be like the winter meetings and free agency? I am going to take a break for 2 months and people could start bidding on me to work for them. Everyone could spread office rumors about me and who i might go to work for and how much i might get from my other employer. See that would be friggin sweet!

QUOTE(ChiSox9 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 03:13 PM)
Just to break it up a little... how come normal everyday work life can't be like the winter meetings and free agency? I am going to take a break for 2 months and people could start bidding on me to work for them. Everyone could spread office rumors about me and who i might go to work for and how much i might get from my other employer. See that would be friggin sweet!

Can you hit a curve ball?

QUOTE(ChiSox9 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 04:13 PM)

I'll offer 51.1 million dollars to your current employer for the rights to negotiate a 50,000 dollar a year contract with you.

Burke + Patton + Justin Towles (catcher prospect) would be a type of deal I'd enquire about for Garcia.

Also, considering the Astros have Carlos Lee, Willy Taveras, Luke Scott, Jason Lane and possibly Chris Burke who could all be starting OF's for them, it could make a guy like Hunter Pence available. He had very good numbers in the minors this season, and if you could get him in a deal, and get more in that deal than say you would with a deal including Lastings Milledge for one of our starters, the Sox should certainly look into that possibility.

We're gonna need someone to replace Jermaine Dye if he leaves in FA after next season, and a guy like Pence who we would control for a long time could be ideal.

Looks the the Cubs might possibly get hosed... sounds like Lilly prefers the Yanks over the Cubs AND might play for them for less (looking for 4/40) and Mench seems to be locked up by Toronto. Could it be the that Cubs spend tons but still come out with NO rotation???

QUOTE(ChiSox9 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 04:41 PM)
Looks the the Cubs might possibly get hosed... sounds like Lilly prefers the Yanks over the Cubs AND might play for them for less (looking for 4/40) and Mench seems to be locked up by Toronto. Could it be the that Cubs spend tons but still come out with NO rotation???

(you mean meche?) its all a bunch of b.s., how it was mentioned in the suntimes that pinella was doing a great job recruiting FA's. im sure soriano chose the cubs becuase of pinella. whatever. lilly, meche, there going to the highest bidders.as with all the other FA's

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 05:38 PM)
Supposedly a local radio station in Texas is mentioning a possible Buehrle/Pods for Michael Young deal being discussed. A couple of guys in my sim league are talking about it. Just throwing it out there.

Thanks for the news. That would be interesting, and perhaps lead to another deal to acquire a center fielder, ahem, CC.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 05:38 PM)
Supposedly a local radio station in Texas is mentioning a possible Buehrle/Pods for Michael Young deal being discussed. A couple of guys in my sim league are talking about it. Just throwing it out there.

I hope to hell we are getting MUCH MUCH more than Michael Young.

MUCH more.

Did I mention we should get A LOT more!

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 05:43 PM)
Buehrle >>>>>>>> Young. And then to throw in Pods? C'mon, we better be getting back some young pitching. Hopefully LHP. I'll take a workhorse LHP over just about any player out there.

Well, Young will make only 3.5 million next year and has a club option for 4 million in 08'. I think considering Mark's FA status after 07', this would be a fairly even deal.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 05:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why?

Because Young is a butcher at short?

Because with the exception of one season Young has a drastic split in offensive numbers between home and away?

Because Buehrle has more value than that?

Because it puts the Sox in a weaker position because we would still have a hole (instead of a semi-hole at the moment) in LF and two SS signed for around the same price?

Bill Bavasi is just really a horrible GM.

He's getting crucified from all directions on the Soriano for Ramirez deal. Trading a stud reliever (when healthy) for a 4th starter is how you sum it up. Guess that's the price of Starting Pitching though.

Guess that means the possibility of Freddy Garcia going to Seattle has ended as well. Which is a shame, because in Bavasi's current mind state, we'd probably end up with Ichiro for him. :D

As for the Buehrle and Young rumors, I'd rather target Hurley, Danks and Masset if we're going after someone from the Rangers. Young's not the greatest defensively at SS either, and I can't believe that will appeal to Ozzie and KW. He's underrated offensively in my mind though, but the difference isn't big enough to trade a SP for him.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 06:04 PM)
Because Young is a butcher at short?

Because with the exception of one season Young has a drastic split in offensive numbers between home and away?

Because Buehrle has more value than that?

Because it puts the Sox in a weaker position because we would still have a hole (instead of a semi-hole at the moment) in LF and two SS signed for around the same price?

Are you suggesting you would rather entertain the notion of Humberto Sanchez for Mark? I don't know about you, but at least this gives us back a quality player in return, at an affordable salary. It also solves our leadoff man quandry, as clears payroll for perhaps another move, maybe even for a deal including a Left fielder.

I would much rather give up on a Garcia or Vaz to Texas, but to get a player like Michael Young would fill major holes for our team. We would lose some speed, as he only had 7 steals last year,

but his line was .314/.356/.459 had over 100 RBI, over 50 doubles, and plays pretty solid defense.

Maybe we could include Uribe (sicne we would have no need for him) and try and get some young pitching in return

The lineup would be incredible:

Young- SS

Iguchi- 2B

Thome- DH

Konerko- 1B

Dye- RF

Crede- 3B

AJ- C

(Anderson, Owens, Sweeney, Fields, Mackowiak)- CF or LF

(Anderson, Owens, Sweeney, Fields, Mackowiak)- CF or LF

Plus financially it makes sense for us, the Rangers would take on around 15 mill compared to Young's 3.5

if we could get taht extra prospect in the deal then we are in a spot to compete heavily this year and give us more flexibility for years to come