Keith Foulke Declines Arbitration

phiteinphils

QUOTE(philadelphia sox fan @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 08:52 AM)
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2690859

He isn't the same pitcher he was in Oakland, but with the Sox dealing starters like there's no tomorrow, a bullpen slot is bound to open up. Why not pick him up, see what he can still do without the pressure of Fenway?

He did quite well in Fenway in '04.

QUOTE(philadelphia sox fan @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 08:54 AM)
But that was 2 years ago.

Yes, but your post implied he couldn't handle the pressure at Fenway when he has in fact proven he can ... during a World Series yet. His problems haven't been due to pressure.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 08:58 AM)
Yes, but your post implied he couldn't handle the pressure at Fenway when he has in fact proven he can ... during a World Series yet. His problems haven't been due to pressure.

Havent his problems revolved around really bad knees?

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 09:58 AM)

I believe he was under minimal pressure for his position that first year in 04, but once things started to unravel a little for him, he started feeling it from the fans, front office, teamates... whatever the case. If he leaves and starts over, he might become that dominate pitcher he once was.

QUOTE(philadelphia sox fan @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 09:02 AM)
I believe he was under minimal pressure for his position that first year in 04, but once things started to unravel a little for him, he started feeling it from the fans, front office, teamates... whatever the case. If he leaves and starts over, he might become that dominate pitcher he once was.

How does the first world series for a supposed cursed frachise in 80+ years equate minimal pressure? Thats just silly.

He had injury problems, not head problems. His mental problems were in Chicago.

And it is dominant, not dominate. ;)

QUOTE(philadelphia sox fan @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 08:52 AM)

He isn't the same pitcher he was in Oakland, but with the Sox dealing starters like there's no tomorrow, a bullpen slot is bound to open up. Why not pick him up, see what he can still do without the pressure of Fenway?

man, KW moves 1 SP and a rumor, which KW denies got as far as it seems, and suddenly there's no tomorrow...

QUOTE(philadelphia sox fan @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 09:02 AM)

He signed a big dollar multiyear free agent contract and came to Boston and performed as a closer for a WS championship team. Sorry, but it's not a lack intestinal fortitude.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 10:07 AM)
He signed a big dollar multiyear free agent contract and came to Boston and performed as a closer for a WS championship team. Sorry, but it's not a lack intestinal fortitude.

I'm saying when everything was going good, he had no problems. But when things turned south, he started to break down.

QUOTE(philadelphia sox fan @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 09:09 AM)
I'm saying when everything was going good, he had no problems. But when things turned south, he started to break down.

And I'm saying that whatever caused things to turn south, Foulke did not falter due to pressure.

QUOTE(philadelphia sox fan @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 09:09 AM)

Here, this was posted 36 minutes ago on ESPN. Check out the headline.

money quote:

Foulke spent three seasons in Boston and was on the mound when the Red Sox clinched the World Series in St. Louis in 2004. He had a 2.17 ERA and 32 saves that season, his best in Boston. Injuries hampered Foulke in 2005 and 2006, limiting him to a total of 87 appearances and 15 saves.

And please edit your sig. Or I am going to start calling the Phillies the Phlliies ;)

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 09:10 AM)
And I'm saying that whatever caused things to turn south, Foulke did not falter due to pressure.

He suprised me in Boston in '04. I was a Keith fan with the White Sox, but in pressure situations he didn't do so well (I remember a game against Minny down the stretch that was a crippler)

But like I said, he stepped up in Boston, so if he's healthy I would love to see KW give him a shot

QUOTE(philadelphia sox fan @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 09:12 AM)
Ok. So would you want him in the pen if he is healthy, now that we've determined thats why he went down hill?

I don't know if he'd be a fit with this team but on the surface, with a reasonable salary, I'd love to have Keith in the pen. He'd be a different look from all of our power arms in the pen now.

I don't see how any team could hand him a closer's role initially. I wouldn't mind seeing him back. He set-up with the White Sox and was great. 2005, the Sox went through 3 closers. The Sun Times article a couple of days ago which said Jenks has lost weight and is down to 279 also stated he has a hip problem that the Sox believe to be weight related but aren't 100% positive. Foulke, if he could snap back, would be great insurance if something went haywire there. Any interest would be pending the results of an extensive physical.

Definately not a closer, but Foulke as the main set up guy would be an excellent move, as, if healthy, that change would be a moster pitch when surrounded by the Sox flamethrowing pen. The contrast would be huge.

That being said, why would Keith want to come here when there are much more open jobs in MLB?

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 09:51 AM)
I don't see how any team could hand him a closer's role initially. I wouldn't mind seeing him back. He set-up with the White Sox and was great. 2005, the Sox went through 3 closers. The Sun Times article a couple of days ago which said Jenks has lost weight and is down to 279 also stated he has a hip problem that the Sox believe to be weight related but aren't 100% positive. Foulke, if he could snap back, would be great insurance if something went haywire there. Any interest would be pending the results of an extensive physical.

I agree, but I don't think it'll happen.

QUOTE(philadelphia sox fan @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 09:52 AM)

Cool...another Pennsylvania sox fan.