Miguel Batista. MIGUEL BATISTA?!?!

CanOfCorn

From Ken Rosenthal:

Free-agent right-hander Miguel Batista is on the verge of signing a three-year contract with the Seattle Mariners, FOXSports.com has learned.

The deal is pending a physical.

The Royals have been told that Batista will sign with another club, major-league sources say, and it is believed that the Cardinals also have been eliminated from the bidding.

The Mariners, Royals and Cardinals were believed to be the three finalists for Batista, though the Rangers and Mets are among the other clubs that have shown interest.

The Royals made Batista a three-year, $24 million offer. The winning bid figures to be higher.

The Mariners, seeking to add two starting pitchers through free agency, also are targeting free-agent left-hander Barry Zito.

Seattle added left-hander Horatio Ramirez, another rotation candidate, in a trade last week with the Braves for right-handed reliever Rafael Soriano.

I know people are paying a lot for pitching but, COME ON!!!

Miguel Batista is a good pitcher, as opposed to say an Adam Eaton who got a 3/24. Batista pitches 190IP of league average or better ball every year. Solid pitcher. He's a better signing than Gil Meche.

I should add that I really wanted us to sign him in '04 when he was last a free agent.

Edited by Gene Honda Civic

This is one of the better signings of the FA market. He's not great but he's not awful. It looks like he'll get money similar to Marquis and he's a better player than Marquis (although Marquis has a bit more upside) and a far safer signing than that of Gil Meche.

If your gonna sign someone in this market, this appears to be one of the better deals (pending the final numbers).

QUOTE(Melissa1334 @ Dec 11, 2006 -> 06:26 PM)
"The Royals made Batista a three-year, $24 million offer. The winning bid figures to be higher."

sad how even the royals are spending and we havent signed anyone or traded for anyone(yet)

Yes it's sad we can't spend $55M for a pitcher that we could get the same production from a $380K rookie.

The 2006 25-man roster had 2 Free Agents. 2!!!! Sandy Alomar and David Riske. How many free agents did we need to sign to replace them? Come to think of it. You know how many free agents we signed last off-season? 2! Paul Konerko and Chris Widger. At least one of those worked out.

True, we haven't signed anyone to replace either candidate, but both Gavin Floyd (Obtained in a trade that apparently didn't get reported to your parts) and David Aardsma (again, another phantom trade not reported by the damn liberal media) feature better stuff than Mr. Riske.

As for Alomar, there's no excuse for him coming back. He sucks, but the best back-up options (Hall,Torrealba) are still being held ransom -- though they figure to be non-tendered by tomorrows deadline, so the best option is to wait until they become available as free agents by Wednesday.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Dec 11, 2006 -> 06:38 PM)
Yes it's sad we can't spend $55M for a pitcher that we could get the same production from a $380K rookie.

The 2006 25-man roster had 2 Free Agents. 2!!!! Sandy Alomar and David Riske. How many free agents did we need to sign to replace them? Come to think of it. You know how many free agents we signed last off-season? 2! Paul Konerko and Chris Widger. At least one of those worked out.

True, we haven't signed anyone to replace either candidate, but both Gavin Floyd (Obtained in a trade that apparently didn't get reported to your parts) and David Aardsma (again, another phantom trade not reported by the damn liberal media) feature better stuff than Mr. Riske.

As for Alomar, there's no excuse for him coming back. He sucks, but the best back-up options (Hall,Torrealba) are still being held ransom -- though they figure to be non-tendered by tomorrows deadline, so the best option is to wait until they become available as free agents by Wednesday.

yes, i was perfectly aware of the trade, after all, freddy was my favorite player on the sox. but i said we havent spent money, that was a salary dump/thinking of the future trade.

>i wouldnt mind seeing the sox get hall as a backup, but im sure some1 else might offer him more years and might like him as a starter

>btw, i hope we can get a catcher that can actually hit a bit when he bats and isnt an automatic out.

Edited by Melissa1334

This was some body's quote about the Batista signing here in Arizona

"Should have gone to the Royals they have a definite chance this year. They looked at their downfalls and their GM really went at it. I am glad to see that Miggy got the $$$ he deserves. should have gone to the Royals they have a definate chance this year. They looked at their downfalls and their GM really went at it. I am glad to see that Miggy got the $$$ he deserves. Anyway about them Royals I think they bought their ticket to 2nd place in the AL Central. ".

Didn't know what to make of this

Edited by BHAMBARONS

QUOTE(BHAMBARONS @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 12:58 AM)

"Should have gone to the Royals they have a definite chance this year. They looked at their downfalls and their GM really went at it. I am glad to see that Miggy got the $$$ he deserves. should have gone to the Royals they have a definate chance this year. They looked at their downfalls and their GM really went at it. I am glad to see that Miggy got the $$$ he deserves. Anyway about them Royals I think they bought their ticket to 2nd place in the AL Central. ".

Someone is AZ is delusional.

QUOTE(Melissa1334 @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 12:54 AM)
yes, i was perfectly aware of the trade, after all, freddy was my favorite player on the sox. but i said we havent spent money, that was a salary dump/thinking of the future trade.

>i wouldnt mind seeing the sox get hall as a backup, but im sure some1 else might offer him more years and might like him as a starter

>btw, i hope we can get a catcher that can actually hit a bit when he bats and isnt an automatic out.

Would you have actually been happy had the Sox offered $28 million for Batista? or $40 million for Lilly? I am not so sure I would be.

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 07:20 AM)
Would you have actually been happy had the Sox offered $28 million for Batista? or $40 million for Lilly? I am not so sure I would be.

That's exactly what I thought of. I mean, he's 35 or 36...down side of his career and the Mariners give him 3 GUARANTEED years at more than $8 mil per year.

That's just a wow.

QUOTE(BHAMBARONS @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 12:58 AM)

thats the dumbest S*** i have read all off season