Sox offer arbitration to Crede & Cintron

EvilJester99

Sox retain control of Crede, but future iffy

Third baseman still could be traded away

By Mark Gonzales

Tribune staff reporter

December 11, 2006, 7:49 PM CST

Offering a contract is the easy part for the White Sox.

The tough part begins soon and could last until a salary-arbitration hearing in February if the Sox and representatives for third baseman Joe Crede can't agree on a one-year deal.

There's always the possibility the Sox could deal Crede, who had an All-Star-caliber season in 2006.

For now, however, the Sox will tender offers to Crede and utility infielder Alex Cintron by Tuesday's deadline, which is all they need to do to retain their rights.

The Sox's current cash obligations are about $85.5 million for 15 players for 2007. That gives them enough room to field a 25-man roster under the $100 million mark—unless they add a marquee player and hang on to Crede.

Crede, with more than four years of service time, should receive an offer that exceeds the $3.8 million Astros third baseman Morgan Ensberg was paid in 2006 after he had a career year in 2005. He could receive more than the $4.75 million that Rangers third baseman Hank Blalock is due in 2007.

The Tigers' Brandon Inge, who has about one more year of service time than Crede, recently signed a four-year, $24 million contract that will pay him $4.9 million in 2007.

Since the end of the 2006 season, the Sox have agreed to terms with four arbitration-eligible players: left fielder Scott Podsednik ($2.9 million), reliever Mike MacDougal (three years, $6.45 million), infielder Pablo Ozuna ($800,000) and outfielder/first baseman Ross Gload ($625,000).

They avoided another negotiation last month by trading left-handed reliever Neal Cotts to the Cubs.

Cintron, who turns 28 on Sunday, should receive a decent raise from his $1.6 million salary in 2006. The switch-hitting Cintron batted .285 in 91 games, and the Sox were 38-28 with him in the starting lineup.

"We've had good discussions, but there's still a bit of a difference," agent Brian David said.

Cintron is the Sox's only true backup shortstop but isn't eligible for free agency until 2009.

The stakes, however, are greater for the Sox and Crede. Special assistant Dennis Gilbert handled talks with agent Scott Boras last winter and negotiated a $2.675 million contract two weeks before arbitration hearings started.

The Sox are hesitant to discuss a multiyear contract with Crede, who is recovering from lower back problems that didn't require off-season surgery.

But there are serious financial ramifications for the Sox. Crede, 28, set career highs in batting average (.283), hits (154), doubles (31), home runs (30), RBIs (94) and runs (76). He ranked third among AL third basemen in homers, RBIs, slugging percentage (.506) and extra-base hits (46) and had a personal-best .978 fielding percentage.

That may be one of several selling points Boras uses if negotiations reach arbitration.

General manager Ken Williams said last month that this year's off-season signings should have no affect on arbitration-eligible players. But Crede is eligible to become a free agent in 2009, and the emergence of 2004 first-round pick Josh Fields as a potential replacement gives the Sox more to ponder.

mgonzales@tribune.com

Edited by EvilJester99

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Dec 11, 2006 -> 10:59 PM)
The Sox are hesitant to discuss a multiyear contract with Crede, who is recovering from lower back problems that didn't require off-season surgery.

it seems like everytime theres stories/rumors written about crede, it always mentions about how the sox are hesitant to resign him becuase of his back. why do they even mention it, they should down play it shouldn they? im sure it takes interest away from teams trying to trade for him

It's quite simple as to why the Sox would make such a move - it's a negotiation tactic used to devalue a player. It's no surprise that the White Sox would want to retain Crede long term, bad back or not, because he's a pretty good all-around 3Bman.

I wouldn't worry about it much. It's quite doubtful he gets traded this offseason, because I'm not sure how they could find a match with anyone while also getting something of equal or comparable value in return either in trade or free agency.

QUOTE(SinkingShip06 @ Dec 11, 2006 -> 11:55 PM)
They're not gonna keep him long term. They'd prolly jump at the chance to trade him for 2 more no names for the "future"

That means so much coming from someone with such a broad understanding of the game.

Give it a rest dude.

QUOTE(Melissa1334 @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 05:05 AM)
it seems like everytime theres stories/rumors written about crede, it always mentions about how the sox are hesitant to resign him becuase of his back. why do they even mention it, they should down play it shouldn they? im sure it takes interest away from teams trying to trade for him

Melissa

I do not see the Sox saying anything about Crede's back. All I see is a comment from the journalist - Mark Gonzalez. So you cannot blame the Sox for this. Writers write what they want. Thye do not care if it hurts the White Sox's chances to trade Crede.

QUOTE(SinkingShip06 @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 04:55 PM)
They're not gonna keep him long term. They'd prolly jump at the chance to trade him for 2 more no names for the "future"

So a former #4 pick, and a top 30 (argubly top 10 SP spect in baseball) are both no names? Ok then.

But no, let's go for everything now, and see the likes of Buehrle, Dye, Iguchi leave for nothing, and then we sink back down the AL Central.

Based on Boras's comments regarding Matsuzaka today, I would be shopping Crede if I were the Sox.

"Free agent pitchers who are 26 and have Matsuzaka-like ability receive salaries in excess of $100 million over five or six years in free agency."

Imagine what he will say about Crede when he becomes a free agent. There will be teams lining up to pay Crede 70 or 80 million for 5 or 6 seasons after Boras gets him on the open market. The Sox aren't going to be one of them. If the Sox can get a solid deal in place to move Crede, I say go for it.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 01:04 PM)
Based on Boras's comments regarding Matsuzaka today, I would be shopping Crede if I were the Sox.

Imagine what he will say about Crede when he becomes a free agent. There will be teams lining up to pay Crede 70 or 80 million for 5 or 6 seasons after Boras gets him on the open market. The Sox aren't going to be one of them. If the Sox can get a solid deal in place to move Crede, I say go for it.

Agreed. It's sad that contracts are getting this ridiculous and owners are actually signing them. I don't see this boding well for the Sox.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 01:06 PM)
Agreed. It's sad that contracts are getting this ridiculous and owners are actually signing them. I don't see this boding well for the Sox.

Konerko's deal looks like a helluva bargain right now. Likewise with Garland and Contreras.

Either way Boras is a jagoff! From what I have been reading he is the reason there is stalling in the BoSox contract talks. He is looking to assist Matsuzaka in buying out his option with the Japan leauge and bring him to free agency (which the league has now shot down). If you want to point fingers on the rising price of FAs and players in general... he would be a good start! They play a game many of us played when we were younger, god how much i would love to have the talent they do to play a game for 162 games a year!

QUOTE(ChiSox9 @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 12:29 PM)
Either way Boras is a jagoff! From what I have been reading he is the reason there is stalling in the BoSox contract talks. He is looking to assist Matsuzaka in buying out his option with the Japan leauge and bring him to free agency (which the league has now shot down). If you want to point fingers on the rising price of FAs and players in general... he would be a good start!

Boras may be a jagoff, but the owners don't have to give his clients money. The rising price of FAs is on the shoulders of the owners not some super agent.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 12:37 PM)
Boras may be a jagoff, but the owners don't have to give his clients money. The rising price of FAs is on the shoulders of the owners not some super agent.

When Boras pisses owners off with his methods, he's got them right where he wants them.

There may not be another person on the face of the earth who is better at their job than Scott Boras, the man is a genius and I for one admire him. You can b**** about Boras all you want but it doesn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense to blame an agent for the escalating price of players like 99 said before me, no one if forcing these owners to hand out insane contracts to average players that's all their doing.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 01:08 PM)
To add on to that, no one forces the PLAYERS to sign on with Boras. The players are just as money hungry. You don't chose Scott Boras as your agent to stay with your "home team"

When a player picks Boras to represent them, they pretty much have 1 thing in mind. $$$.

Exactly and that's what makes signing Crede to an extension anytime before the '08 offseason completely unrealistic, the players sign with Boras to maximize their income and he does that through free agency. If you sign with Boras you're going to free agency and you're going to make some money it's as simple as that.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 12:53 PM)
There may not be another person on the face of the earth who is better at their job than Scott Boras, the man is a genius and I for one admire him. You can b**** about Boras all you want but it doesn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense to blame an agent for the escalating price of players like 99 said before me, no one if forcing these owners to hand out insane contracts to average players that's all their doing.

Its funny he doesnt steer all his clients to the North Side-who overpay for everyone

QUOTE(ChiSox9 @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 12:29 PM)
Either way Boras is a jagoff! From what I have been reading he is the reason there is stalling in the BoSox contract talks. He is looking to assist Matsuzaka in buying out his option with the Japan leauge and bring him to free agency (which the league has now shot down). If you want to point fingers on the rising price of FAs and players in general... he would be a good start! They play a game many of us played when we were younger, god how much i would love to have the talent they do to play a game for 162 games a year!

The Amazing Boras. Anyone that looks into his eyes immediatly loses all control and starts throwing money around. All Boras has to do is ask for $100,000,000 and teams will rush to see who can pay it. Too bad we can't send him around the world to solve all the worlds problems. :lolhitting

Boras attracts the best talent and the best talent signs the biggest contracts. Anyone here who thinks they would sign for less and turn down more money is lying.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 01:08 PM)
To add on to that, no one forces the PLAYERS to sign on with Boras. The players are just as money hungry. You don't chose Scott Boras as your agent to stay with your "home team"

When a player picks Boras to represent them, they pretty much have 1 thing in mind. $$$.

Players are competitive. Would you take your job for less than the guy in the next cubicle, especially if you are better at it? Every player I've ever known, knew where he ranked in salaries. It's as much a competition as on the field.