Dammit, I fell for a scam

Texsox

I have my resume on one of the resume sites and get regular notices when jobs match my field. I usually don't respond, but this one caught my eye and I followed the link and it look dead on for career builders. It wasn't until after I entered my social security number and moved to the next field that I started to get that s***ty feeling in my stomache. In the list of "hints" questions was "What is your favorite Internet password?". No way that was legit. I stopped at that point but those bastards have my name, address, and social. A email to career builders confirmed it was a scam. :angry:

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 09:23 PM)
Whoa, that sucks! Now what do you do?

You put a fraud alert on the credit report sites. You also fill out a form online saying your social has been stolen. Its the same as if you lost your wallet.

I get those fake paypal emails all the time that says, enter password and credit card info, I always enter something funny, and I never thought anyone actually got scammed. Guess not.... :P

QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 09:19 PM)
I have my resume on one of the resume sites and get regular notices when jobs match my field. I usually don't respond, but this one caught my eye and I followed the link and it look dead on for career builders. It wasn't until after I entered my social security number and moved to the next field that I started to get that s***ty feeling in my stomache. In the list of "hints" questions was "What is your favorite Internet password?". No way that was legit. I stopped at that point but those bastards have my name, address, and social. A email to career builders confirmed it was a scam. :angry:

That sucks Tex. You need to start to be proactive, and not wait for the hammer to fall. Sites like the one that you hit are collectors, they collect this info and then forward it to a main site which ferrets through it and either sells this to illegals, or uses it to establish credit for free money.

Of course start monitoring your credit. You don't want to wait until a bill collector is calling you on some mortgage you never had. Here is some other info.

Here is a good site for some checklists after you have disclosed personal info.

What to do after you have disclosed personal info Make sure you pay special attention to the If you have given out your personal identification information section.

Here is a site on Identity theft.

Identity Theft

There is no reason that any site should ask for your passwords, or your SSN.

Here is a good site to look at for examples of phishing emails.

AntiPhishing

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 09:35 PM)
You put a fraud alert on the credit report sites. You also fill out a form online saying your social has been stolen. Its the same as if you lost your wallet.

I get those fake paypal emails all the time that says, enter password and credit card info, I always enter something funny, and I never thought anyone actually got scammed. Guess not.... :P

It could be worse, he could be in Nigeria right now trying to figure out where Prince Mintabu is to give him his millions.

:bang

I get them all the time as well and thought I could spot them a mile away. Everything looked legit. They perfectly copied career builder except for the email addy. Looking now I was stupid. If I wasn't so damn arguing in the 'buster, I would have looked closer. :D

Sorry to hear that Tex, hope it all works out for you, make sure you let one of the credit bureaus know about it.

As a rule I never click on anything from an email and always take a direct link to a site myself by bookmark or just typing in the URL.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 09:47 PM)
I get them all the time as well and thought I could spot them a mile away. Everything looked legit. They perfectly copied career builder except for the email addy. Looking now I was stupid. If I wasn't so damn arguing in the 'buster, I would have looked closer. :D

Tex

Unfortunately the bad guys are getting better at making their sites look more and more like the real site. Before they used to use copy the look of the site, now they are going as far as direct linking the images right from the website. The more and more we think we are getting in front of this, the more and more the bad guys are getting more innovative. Remember people are visual, and we process the look of the site before we process the meaning of it. That is what they count on. My company just setup Identity Theft insurance to help with our associates that fall for this.

Ah, OK I see it was an online identity scam you fell for. When I first read the thread title, I thought to myself, uh-oh Tex didn't remember what I told him about always checking for an adam's apple before picking up a woman at a bar. :P

Seriously, it stinks that The Internets are chock-full of con men and scammers and bank tellers from Pennsylvania, but what can ya do?

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 10:01 PM)
Tex, did this scam email have anything to do with "iagra-vey?" :D

:lolhitting

What was amazing the site asked for my zip code and the locations for the company were correct. I am impressed by their efforts. Pissed, but impressed.

Ok Tex, as far as I know you're in luck, the state law in Texas helps you out, and the Previous Congress didn't get around to overturning this option in favor of the Credit Card companies as far as I know.

In several states, including Texas, you have the right to call the 3 major credit companies and place an actual "Credit Freeze" on your account. If you do this, by law those companies will not be allowed to issue any credit in your name without actually speaking to you first. It will cost you like $8 per company I believe. In Texas, the law only lets you do this if you've been the victim of some sort of security breach (California, for example, anyone can do it regardless of the reason), but you may qualify after this incident.

I believe you can find the information you need at this page. (includes phone numbers and links to the relevant statutes in Texas law, although it may be out of date)

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 10:23 PM)
Ok Tex, as far as I know you're in luck, the state law in Texas helps you out, and the Previous Congress didn't get around to overturning this option in favor of the Credit Card companies as far as I know.

In several states, including Texas, you have the right to call the 3 major credit companies and place an actual "Credit Freeze" on your account. If you do this, by law those companies will not be allowed to issue any credit in your name without actually speaking to you first. It will cost you like $8 per company I believe. In Texas, the law only lets you do this if you've been the victim of some sort of security breach (California, for example, anyone can do it regardless of the reason), but you may qualify after this incident.

I believe you can find the information you need at this page. (includes phone numbers and links to the relevant statutes in Texas law, although it may be out of date)

Thank you. I think that would be worth the $$ for the peace of mind.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 08:34 PM)

You best get working on it tomorrow when those companies open though, you do have to send some things certified through the mail, which can take a couple days. Check the Texas statutes to see if you need to file a police report first, or if you can file a police report just based on having given it out.

P.s. Am I allowed to slam the previous Congress for the fact that a committee passed a bill (I don't think it got all the way through) that would have prevented any consumer from freezing his or her credit in this manner? Because I really, really want to.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 11:34 PM)

The only drawback is that you'll have to contact the credit agencies before you make any new credit lines... i.e. house, car, credit card, maybe cell phone services.

That sucks Tex - I hope nothing happens. With any of those types of emails, I go directly to the site rather than from my email (ie careerbuilder, monster, ebay). They are getting too good with faking the email. People suck, all you can do is be proactive.

Edited by Queen Prawn

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 10:23 PM)

Hmm, I dont know about a credit "freeze". Equifax, Experian and TransUnion offer a Fraud alert for 90 days for anyone, and they monitor your credit and let you know if anyone is attempting to obtain credit in your name(and tell you which company so you can call them and stop the application), but the credit bureaus cannot actually stop anyone from getting credit because they are just a monitoring service. If you have proven CC fraud, they will monitor your credit for 7 years, but I deal with them everyday at Chase and I havent heard of any freeze.

Who knows though, as soon as I hear one thing, they change it on me. ;)

Edited by kyyle23

Lots of good advice here. But one thing I see has been forgotten, unless I missed it. You need to tell Careerbuilder, or whomever runs the site! If they site that ripped you has access to resumes, they have an account. It would be nice for them to know, so they can at least try to prevent that account from continuing to operate.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Dec 13, 2006 -> 08:34 AM)
Hmm, I dont know about a credit "freeze". Equifax, Experian and TransUnion offer a Fraud alert for 90 days for anyone, and they monitor your credit and let you know if anyone is attempting to obtain credit in your name(and tell you which company so you can call them and stop the application), but the credit bureaus cannot actually stop anyone from getting credit because they are just a monitoring service. If you have proven CC fraud, they will monitor your credit for 7 years, but I deal with them everyday at Chase and I havent heard of any freeze.

Who knows though, as soon as I hear one thing, they change it on me. ;)

This was accurate, as far as I know, when I thought I got scammed over the summer by a door to door energy company employee in New York. Turned out to be legit, but I looked into all that information. The process is pretty easy. You just have to call one of the credit companies and they inform the others.

Edited by G&T