Sox sign Toby Hall

Frankensteiner

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Dec 17, 2006 -> 06:24 PM)
We won 90 games. We would've won quite a few more with legitimate back-ups at C and CF, not to mention a better bullpen.

I can't imagine our starters being as bad as they were last year.

Can I quote you on this in about, oh, July/August/September next year when you're b****ing?

:P

(I'm just razzing you. I'm glad you're upbeat...)

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way, small note...this signing again fills up the White Sox 40 man roster completely. So if the White Sox did want to make another signing, or trade a pitcher for multiple other young pieces, we need to make the deal for people young enough that they don't need a 40 man slot, or we need to remove an equal number of guys from our 40 man.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Dec 17, 2006 -> 12:02 PM)
Really? You'd be happy with this offseason if the only upgrades over the 2006 team were a slightly better backup catcher and backup CF, and maybe another reliever (given the fact that nothing particularly good is left to sign)? Wouldn't that be essentially standing pat?

What would make you happy? Anything? Or are you really that miserable?

Im loving the deals made this offseason, and I expect one or two more good ones.

Personally, I was fine with Stewart as a back-up, I really don't think its all that necessary for the back-up catcher to hit all that well. That said, Hall is definitely an upgrade from Stewart and even more from Alomar. AJ takes pride in being behind the plate as much as possible. I just hope Hall can adjust to playing once or twice a week. For some guys, that is very difficult. On the other side, Ozzie did say Thome was going to be getting a breather more often in 2007. Maybe AJ DH's a few times this coming season, although we know Ozzie likes to save his catchers in case of injury.

What would make you happy? Anything? Or are you really that miserable?

Huh? Did somebody wake up on the wrong side of the offseason today? What would make me happy is upgrading this team in significant ways. One hole we had was backup catcher and it has been filled very nicely. I made my comment in response to someone who said that with this season, he was fully satisfied with the offseason even if no other acquisitions are made. I'm not. I don't see how anyone could be. A third place team needs to fill some holes. Essentially standing pat isn't enough. What would make me happy? A real overall upgrade to the team. Not an overhaul. Not necessarily bringing in a marquee player. But something that does good job of filling a hole from the 2006 team.

Good signing, although I have questions over Hall's character a little after what he said about the D-Rays this week.

Hopefully he develops a nice rapport with the pitchers straight off the bat, and we seem him in pretty much every game against an opposing lefty.

Nice to have a guy who wants to be here though, which at least that we must be doing something right.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Dec 18, 2006 -> 09:28 AM)
Huh? Did somebody wake up on the wrong side of the offseason today? What would make me happy is upgrading this team in significant ways. One hole we had was backup catcher and it has been filled very nicely. I made my comment in response to someone who said that with this season, he was fully satisfied with the offseason even if no other acquisitions are made. I'm not. I don't see how anyone could be. A third place team needs to fill some holes. Essentially standing pat isn't enough. What would make me happy? A real overall upgrade to the team. Not an overhaul. Not necessarily bringing in a marquee player. But something that does good job of filling a hole from the 2006 team.

So in other words you're basically saying, you would want a team that would have a better chance to win this season, at the cost of being as competitive in future seasons? Is it not worth us acquiring good young starting pitching considering the current market price for pitching in the FA Market?

In terms of an overall upgrade, what guys were out there that could of been had, and if they were in the FA market, was it worth overpaying (e.g giving 3 years to Dave Roberts) to accomplish that?

So in other words you're basically saying, you would want a team that would have a better chance to win this season, at the cost of being as competitive in future seasons? Is it not worth us acquiring good young starting pitching considering the current market price for pitching in the FA Market?

When the team has serious holes to fill for the coming season, I don't think it makes sense to trade your best trading chip for prospects that won't help you this season. I don't think that is entirely a choice between winning this season or being competitive in the future. But when you have a good chance to contend immediately, I think you need to maximize that chance. Again, I'm not saying trade a bunch of prospects for veterans. That would be mortgaging your future. I'm saying don't trade veterans for prospects. That is ALL about the future to the detriment of the present.

As I have said many times, I never had any problem with trading Garcia. BMac will fill his rotation spot nicely. But that trading chip should have been used to upgrade the current team. Or, if you trade for prospects, use that money to acquire an upgrade. Unfortunately the significant FA upgrades are off the market. Perhaps KW will make a trade which will bring in someone really good, and thus put that money to good use. If so, depending on what he gives up in that trade, he could turn the Garcia trade into something good. I'm hoping.

In terms of an overall upgrade, what guys were out there that could of been had, and if they were in the FA market, was it worth overpaying (e.g giving 3 years to Dave Roberts) to accomplish that?

Two obvious choices that would have been affordable are Abreu and Guillen. They would have been huge upgrades over Pods and affordale.

"Playing against the White Sox in the American League, I was familiar with all that they had accomplished over the past few years and it will be an honor to wear the Sox uniform," said Hall. "Chicago is where I wanted to be."

wow. i just love that.

the world championship season continues to benefit our club, and will for a long time coming...

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Dec 17, 2006 -> 04:53 PM)
Two obvious choices that would have been affordable are Abreu and Guillen. They would have been huge upgrades over Pods and affordale.

Huh? When was Abreu a free agent? Guillen who?

Which one of those guys would have batted lead off?

Huh? When was Abreu a free agent? Guillen who?

Which one of those guys would have batted lead off?

Abreu was available. "Guillen who" is Jose Guillen. Iguchi could lead off. Abreu could lead off. As I have said before, you don't need a base stealing speedster leading off. You need a guy who can actually get on base.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Dec 17, 2006 -> 05:36 PM)
Abreu was available. "Guillen who" is Jose Guillen. Iguchi could lead off. Abreu could lead off. As I have said before, you don't need a base stealing speedster leading off. You need a guy who can actually get on base.

Abreu was available for what? Jose Guillen is your answer as well? Maybe it was his .398 SLG last year that caught your eye? And I guess just placing iguchi in the lead-off spot is logical considering he really never hit there, and isnt ideal for the slot, but sure it makes sense.

Basically anything different that what we are currently planning to do is what you would like us to do, i understand.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Dec 17, 2006 -> 06:28 PM)

If you're referring to me, that's absolutely not what I said. I said I'd be happy with a right-handed 4th OFer and another reliever.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Dec 18, 2006 -> 09:53 AM)
When the team has serious holes to fill for the coming season, I don't think it makes sense to trade your best trading chip for prospects that won't help you this season. I don't think that is entirely a choice between winning this season or being competitive in the future. But when you have a good chance to contend immediately, I think you need to maximize that chance. Again, I'm not saying trade a bunch of prospects for veterans. That would be mortgaging your future. I'm saying don't trade veterans for prospects. That is ALL about the future to the detriment of the present.

As I have said many times, I never had any problem with trading Garcia. BMac will fill his rotation spot nicely. But that trading chip should have been used to upgrade the current team. Or, if you trade for prospects, use that money to acquire an upgrade. Unfortunately the significant FA upgrades are off the market. Perhaps KW will make a trade which will bring in someone really good, and thus put that money to good use. If so, depending on what he gives up in that trade, he could turn the Garcia trade into something good. I'm hoping.

Not a bad argument there. But I look at it this way.

The AL Central is going to be the toughest division for the next 5 years. Minny have a lot of great young players and they always develop pitching, Detroit have got their act together and have Zumaya and Verlander while Cleveland has a good young core with the likes of Grady Sizemore. So those 3 teams are going to be +.500 teams for the next 5 seasons IMHO.

Now if say Buehrle, Dye and Iguchi leave for FA during the next off-season, that's going to open up some big holes. If we didn't trade Garcia for Floyd and Gonzalez, who would fill in for Mark in the 2008 rotation? Lance Broadway?

So in my mind, KW has looked at a team like Minnesota and seen how important good young pitching is. It's easier to find and sign a better hitter than pitcher in FA, because pitching is at such a premium right now, every team wants it.

So if you can develop young effective starters, that is going to offer you a lot of payroll flexibility over the upcoming years.

Personally, I would rather the Sox be competitive and have a chance at making the playoffs for the next 5 years, then to put all of our eggs into the 1 basket, and try to win everything again.

And the Sox have made some acquisitions which should help the team not only in the future but for next season. Aadrsma should add to the pen, while Vazquez could be a possible lefty reliever for us in the future. Gload gets traded for a young lefty with good stuff, while B-Mac just slides over into Garcia's spot in the rotation and that could certainly be an upgrade for us. Hall gets signed as a backup catcher, which will be a major upgrade on Widger and Alomar from last season.

The 2 areas that COULD have been upgraded are at LF and SS. But you have to look at the options. Jose Guillen got something like 5M for 2007 and a 9M team option for the next season. Plus I've heard his knee isn't going to be right until the 2nd half of the season or something (although I could be wrong on that). So if you signed him, do the Sox then have to move Iguchi into the leadoff spot, or does Ozzie insist on acquiring a Figgins, Crawford or Baldelli and giving up some of that young pitching which could be extremely important in the upcoming seasons? Dave Roberts was an option in my mind, but I would have given him 2 seasons at the most.

As for possible SS's, well basically there's only the trade market, as an Alex Gonzalez doesn't really excite me (unless you're Wayne Krivsky).

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Dec 18, 2006 -> 10:36 AM)

And I think we all understand that. The problem is, Ozzie Guillen is going to insist on having a "speed" guy up there, because that's just the way he likes it.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Dec 17, 2006 -> 04:53 PM)
As I have said many times, I never had any problem with trading Garcia. BMac will fill his rotation spot nicely. But that trading chip should have been used to upgrade the current team.

...and how, when, and from whom do you suggest a better way of getting hot-shot pitching prospects, which most everyone agrees is extremely important given the market for pitching now (and considering how excited teams are to give up their pitching prospects), if not by trading a starter that we don't need anymore, in his walk-year.

Abreu was available for what?

Of course we don't know for sure. But the word around NYC was that he was available for SP help, like Garcia.

Jose Guillen is your answer as well? Maybe it was his .398 SLG last year that caught your eye?

Do you always just look at the prior year's production? Is it relevant to you that this wasn't even a full season of play for him and that it is very different from each of the prior 3 years? It should be. Jose Guillen would have been a huge upgrade over Pods.

And I guess just placing iguchi in the lead-off spot is logical considering he really never hit there, and isnt ideal for the slot, but sure it makes sense.

It makes a lot more sense than having Pods lead off. Are you saying only guys who have hit leadoff before should leadoff? That doesn't make much sense. He's the best candidate for the job, and certainly sufficient. No, he's not ideal, but he would be a MUCH better leadoff hitter than Pods who can't get on base and steals for a poor percentage when he does get on base.

Basically anything different that what we are currently planning to do is what you would like us to do, i understand.

I would like the team to improve. That's not a very radical position.

Disclaimer to sox fans:

most likely no player on the white sox is the top player at his position, there may always be someone else you may want on the team instead of that person. Regardless, that is not the way that teams are put together, nor is it rational and realistic. The Chicago White Sox specifically pay extremely qualified individuals to make the best choices for the team in the present and in the future. Thanks and have a great night.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Dec 17, 2006 -> 06:29 PM)
Of course we don't know for sure. But the word around NYC was that he was available for SP help, like Garcia.

Do you always just look at the prior year's production? Is it relevant to you that this wasn't even a full season of play for him and that it is very different from each of the prior 3 years? It should be. Jose Guillen would have been a huge upgrade over Pods.

It makes a lot more sense than having Pods lead off. Are you saying only guys who have hit leadoff before should leadoff? That doesn't make much sense. He's the best candidate for the job, and certainly sufficient. No, he's not ideal, but he would be a MUCH better leadoff hitter than Pods who can't get on base and steals for a poor percentage when he does get on base.

I would like the team to improve. That's not a very radical position.

Abreu for Garcia huh? Im sure KW didnt even think of that possibility and never explored it. In fact if the idea came up, im sure he immediately declined based on it being too great of a return for a declining pitcher in his walk year. I know Jose Guillen's stats, thanks, maybe I saw them when i quote his exact SLG from last year? Of course im sure in your assessment of PODS, im SURE you have examined his career stats, and not just last year's. The team has improved in several areas so far this year, you are too blind and hateful towards the organization to even take notice. Anyone with a signature such as yours pretty much has solidified himself as someone who cant be happy even with success. Have a great night, and maybe this season the team may bring you some joy.

Edited by RockRaines

This is an impressively solid move. He and AJ will make a good combo behind the plate. I really didn't think KW had a chance after hearing that Hall wanted to start. He should get plenty of playing time coming off of Ozzie's bench and hopefully he can continue that near 300 average vs. lefties.

Add my congratulations to KW on another fine effort to improve the Sox! Good news 2 days in a row!

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 17, 2006 -> 06:37 PM)
Disclaimer to sox fans:

most likely no player on the white sox is the top player at his position, there may always be someone else you may want on the team instead of that person. Regardless, that is not the way that teams are put together, nor is it rational and realistic. The Chicago White Sox specifically pay extremely qualified individuals to make the best choices for the team in the present and in the future. Thanks and have a great night.

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

I am SO sick to death of those that continue to advocate that the Sox have not made the best of this offseason THUS far. What they fail to acknowledge is that A) Its not over yet and B) The S*IT that was out there was not really worth bragging about. I especially love those who are so dedicated to their hatred of everything the organization does that they can do nothing but whine about it...

It seems that alot of people here seem to think that the Sox will either be no better or even worse than last year. Do you have the same thoughts about our central foes? Rodgers had one his best years ever. I thik last year was the first time he has put together a complete year ever. Will he do that again, or revert to his old self? Bonderman has his best year ever in his brief career. Will he go back to being a .500 pitcher? Will Verlander continue his good ptiching, or will the sophomore jinx get him as it has so many before him? Same with Zumaya? And Miner? Robertson was only .500, which was his second best year ever! If these pitchers go back to 'average', detroit only wins 80-85 games next year. Noone knows for sure until the games are played. Every team has players that under performed and over performed. The Sox won 90 games while vastly underperforming. If the pitching was even average last year, 95 wins should have been a real possibility. While I would like some of the free agents out there, not sure if I would have liked them at the prices they are commanding. Hall was a good move. Hopefully, there will be one or two more to come.