Sox sign Toby Hall

Frankensteiner

Abreu for Garcia huh? Im sure KW didnt even think of that possibility and never explored it. In fact if the idea came up, im sure he immediately declined based on it being too great of a return for a declining pitcher in his walk year.

I'm sure the Sox would have had to throw in more. It would have been worth it.

I know Jose Guillen's stats, thanks, maybe I saw them when i quote his exact SLG from last year?

If you know them, then why did you ignore everything before 2006?

Of course im sure in your assessment of PODS, im SURE you have examined his career stats, and not just last year's.

I have indeed. What I see is one good year (2003). He also did pretty well for the Sox in the first half of 2005 and then downright crappy in the second half. And then even worse in 2006. He's never been particularly good. Last year he showed throughout the entire year a player who wasn't good at any aspect of the game. He has gone from not very good, to bad to awful. If you have some good evidence or even argumentation that Pods is anything but awful, please share.

The team has improved in several areas so far this year, you are too blind and hateful towards the organization to even take notice.

The team has improved its backup catcher. So far, that's it. I don't see Aardsma as an improvement over Cotts. Maybe Aardsma will develop into a better pitcher than Cotts, but I doubt it will happen all of the sudden. Sisco isn't an improvement for 2007. He has great upside potential, but he clearly isn't there yet. So please tell me how "the team has improved in several areas so far this year." Because everyone who had a poor season in 2006 is going to have a good season in 2007, and no one who had a good season in 2006 is going to have a bad season in 2007?

Anyone with a signature such as yours pretty much has solidified himself as someone who cant be happy even with success.

No, I just don't blindly give the manager credit when credit is not due. Did you see Ozzie's managing in 2006? It as simply abysmal. He's not a good manager, period.

Have a great night, and maybe this season the team may bring you some joy.

You too, and Happy Holidays to you and yours.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This whole time Soxhawk was talking about "signing" Abreu, I thought he was talking about last July.

I heard and read NOTHING about Abreu being moved. All I remember is hearing Abreu talk about how much he enjoys playing in NY. Why would New York trade Abreu if they already traded Sheffield?

QUOTE(Leonard Zelig @ Dec 17, 2006 -> 09:12 AM)
How is his defense?

Very good, plus he hits LHP and has been an everyday player many a time for that minor league team known as the DRays. This is a fantastic deal and we got him for a lot cheaper than I thought (assuming that the 3 mill plus figure is over the course of 2 years, meaning he gets just over 1.5 million a year which is nice.

This whole time Soxhawk was talking about "signing" Abreu, I thought he was talking about last July.

I heard and read NOTHING about Abreu being moved. All I remember is hearing Abreu talk about how much he enjoys playing in NY. Why would New York trade Abreu if they already traded Sheffield?

For a while, it was talked about quite a bit here in New York, and no it wouldn't have been a straight up trade.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 18, 2006 -> 01:56 AM)
Very good, plus he hits LHP and has been an everyday player many a time for that minor league team known as the DRays. This is a fantastic deal and we got him for a lot cheaper than I thought (assuming that the 3 mill plus figure is over the course of 2 years, meaning he gets just over 1.5 million a year which is nice.

I love this deal because it makes sense. Just like before the 2005 season where we made a few moves that just seemed so logical. That offseason, we didn't have a starting catcher, and AJP was on the market looking for a team. Also, we didn't have a realistic 2nd baseman, and Iguchi was lurking as a FA. This offseason, we desperately needed a back-up catcher who could hit LHP. Hall is a great fit because he's a contact hitter, and that's very important because of the tough LHP we face. We could have spent 3 million more on this deal for him, and I would have been happy.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Dec 18, 2006 -> 12:21 PM)

Abreu seemed like the perfect #3 hitter for them, and really got their offense motoring when he came across (well except for in the playoffs).

Don't really see the logic in the Yankees trading him about 3 months after they acquired him (unless he pissed off Ol' Steiny by saying he doesn't like his macho head games or something). :D

i like it! good move, i like his passion for coming here. now get us one more reliever and we are in good shape. i guess KW was right when he said he was just going to tweek this team. so i expect no flashy trades or anything crazy to happen, this team as is can contend for the title. KW obviously believes Anderson can turn it around as well as Pods and the starting rotation, and i believe they can also.

great signing he hit better in the second half of the season with the dodgers as opposed to the first half with the devilrays. He crushed lefties.. There is one thing that puzzles me.....we got Sandy from the Dodgers to replace Widger now we get Tobey Hall from the Dodgers to replace Sandy.. When we need another catcher in 3 years I guess we go to the dodger used catcher store......

Another solid move. The offseason continues to go well. The only significant problem area left for 2007's roster, to me, is Pods. Other upgrades, such as CF or SS, would be nice, but are by no means necessary.

Now, as far as longer term issues of contracts, and trying to restock young arms in the system, those are areas that still needs work. But KW seems to be working on that.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Dec 17, 2006 -> 10:48 PM)
i like it! good move, i like his passion for coming here. now get us one more reliever and we are in good shape. i guess KW was right when he said he was just going to tweek this team. so i expect no flashy trades or anything crazy to happen, this team as is can contend for the title. KW obviously believes Anderson can turn it around as well as Pods and the starting rotation, and i believe they can also.

Why do we need another reliever? I'll take some outfield help, but I think that our bullpen right now is pretty solid.

QUOTE(soxpride77 @ Dec 18, 2006 -> 02:04 PM)
Why do we need another reliever? I'll take some outfield help, but I think that our bullpen right now is pretty solid.

Because there's only 3 really proven guys. I'm not saying at least one of Aardsma/Logan/Sisco can turn out to be a fine reliever, but having one more solid reliever would go a long way in making our bullpen one of the best around.

Also, definitely still need a back-up CF.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Dec 18, 2006 -> 01:22 PM)
Because there's only 3 really proven guys. I'm not saying at least one of Aardsma/Logan/Sisco can turn out to be a fine reliever, but having one more solid reliever would go a long way in making our bullpen one of the best around.

Also, definitely still need a back-up CF.

Can't argue with that. While our bullpen should be great anything can happen. I wouldn't expect anyone important to be signed though, for the bullpen that is.

What about Ben Grieve?

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 18, 2006 -> 10:58 AM)
I think we'll see Terrero or Owens brought to the club for that purpose. Not saying that's great, but I think that's what we'll get.

After dropping Gload, we do have room on the 25 man roster for 1 more backup that we didn't carry last year. However, we don't have room on the 40-man for any other signings without someone clearing waivers or being traded.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 18, 2006 -> 01:00 PM)
After dropping Gload, we do have room on the 25 man roster for 1 more backup that we didn't carry last year. However, we don't have room on the 40-man for any other signings without someone clearing waivers or being traded.

Terrero is already on the 40-man.

EDIT: So is Owens.

Edited by NorthSideSox72

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Dec 18, 2006 -> 11:52 AM)
Can Owens even play CF? I know almost nothing about him, except that he still needs time in the minors.

He would probably be a pretty poor solution at CF, but probalby better than Mackowiak, IMO.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Dec 18, 2006 -> 01:52 PM)
Can Owens even play CF? I know almost nothing about him, except that he still needs time in the minors.

I don't know much either, just saw him do it in ST last year and he played a couple games in OF late this past season. He seems to have some of the skills for it. But I really don't know if he is (or can be) that good. I just think Ozzie and others are pointing him in that general direction. But KW seems to want Terrero to be that guy.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 18, 2006 -> 08:25 PM)
I don't know much either, just saw him do it in ST last year and he played a couple games in OF late this past season. He seems to have some of the skills for it. But I really don't know if he is (or can be) that good. I just think Ozzie and others are pointing him in that general direction. But KW seems to want Terrero to be that guy.

Jerry Owens is a well-below average defensive MLB center fielder. From everything I've seen and heard about him, he's not even close to being ready to contribute in the majors offensively or defensively.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 18, 2006 -> 02:36 PM)
Jerry Owens is a well-below average defensive MLB center fielder. From everything I've seen and heard about him, he's not even close to being ready to contribute in the majors offensively or defensively.

Well then let's hope he isn't the one picked for the backup CF role. I am hoping, at this point, we have Terrero for that role, and then either Sweeney or Owens as the backup corner OF (which leaves Mack, Cintron and Hall for the other 3 bench slots). Sweeney is probably more ready, but knowing Ozzie, he'd prefer a speedster like Owens on the bench.