NBC: Saddam to hang within 48 hours.

Balta1701

QUOTE(NUKE @ Jan 1, 2007 -> 11:13 PM)
Why would the U.S. seek to delay the execution? The longer that man was allowed to live, the longer he was a thorn in our side and an impediment to Iraq's rebirth. Better to get rid of the bastard now and let whatever reaction, positive or negative, work itself out so people can move on.

Because the U.S. wanted the execution to have some semblance of justice and fairness, unlike the trial, so as to try to avoid having executioners shouting "Muqtada" and causing even more riots.

They wanted to try to follow the nation's laws, such that executions were prohibited during this holiday period, and executions require signatures from the nation's Prime Minister and both Presidents or whatever the Hell they're called. Talabani wouldn't sign off on his (he appears to genuinely reject the death penalty, and after Living under Saddam it's hard to blame him), neither would the Sunni guy, so the only people who actually were willing to authorize the execution were the Shi'a.

Basically Maliki did an end-around where he went to the Shia clerics in Najaf, asked them if it was ok to go around the law, they said it was, so he pushed the execution through without following the procedures in the law.

Basically, you've got the Duke prosecutor being told by the Supreme Court that he hadn't met the legal standard to give the kids the chair, and the prosecutor deciding to do the execution anyway because they'd been convicted.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(NUKE @ Jan 2, 2007 -> 01:13 AM)
http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/meast/01/02/...tion/index.html

Back on topic.........

Why would the U.S. seek to delay the execution? The longer that man was allowed to live, the longer he was a thorn in our side and an impediment to Iraq's rebirth. Better to get rid of the bastard now and let whatever reaction, positive or negative, work itself out so people can move on.

Of course that will never get any play outside of the US, because no one would believe it anyways.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 4, 2007 -> 12:55 PM)
According to one Arab news source, the actual noose that hung Saddam has ended up in the hands of Muqtada al-Sadr. And a Kuwaiti businessman is trying to buy it from him.

No offense, but that sounds like a load of crap. It sounds to me like something along the lines of all of the Jews were told right before 9-11 not to go into the Twins Towers kind type of BS.

In the week since Saddam Hussein was hanged in an execution steeped in sectarian overtones, his public image in the Arab world, formerly that of a convicted dictator, has undergone a resurgence of admiration and awe.

On the streets, in newspapers and over the Internet, Mr. Hussein has emerged as a Sunni Arab hero who stood calm and composed as his Shiite executioners tormented and abused him.

“No one will ever forget the way in which Saddam was executed,” President Hosni Mubarak of Egypt remarked in an interview with the Israeli newspaper Yediot Aharonot published Friday and distributed by the official Egyptian news agency. “They turned him into a martyr.”

In Libya, which canceled celebrations of the feast of Id al-Adha after the execution, a government statement said a statue depicting Mr. Hussein in the gallows would be erected, along with a monument to Omar al-Mukhtar, who resisted the Italian invasion of Libya and was hanged by the Italians in 1931.

In Morocco and the Palestinian territories, demonstrators held aloft photographs of Mr. Hussein and condemned the United States.

Here in Beirut, hundreds of members of the Lebanese Baath Party and Palestinian activists marched Friday in a predominantly Sunni neighborhood behind a symbolic coffin representing that of Mr. Hussein and later offered a funeral prayer. Photographs of Mr. Hussein standing up in court, against a backdrop of the Dome of the Rock shrine in Jerusalem, were pasted on city walls near Palestinian refugee camps, praising “Saddam the martyr.”

“God damn America and its spies,” a banner across one major Beirut thoroughfare read. “Our condolences to the nation for the assassination of Saddam, and victory to the Iraqi resistance.”

By standing up to the United States and its client government in Baghdad and dying with seeming dignity, Mr. Hussein appears to have been virtually cleansed of his past.

“Suddenly we forgot that he was a dictator and that he killed thousands of people,” said Roula Haddad, 33, a Lebanese Christian. “All our hatred for him suddenly turned into sympathy, sympathy with someone who was treated unjustly by an occupation force and its collaborators.”

“The Arab world has been devoid of pride for a long time,” said Ahmad Mazin al-Shugairi, who hosts a television show at the Middle East Broadcasting Center that promotes a moderate version of Islam in Saudi Arabia. “The way Saddam acted in court and just before he was executed, with dignity and no fear, struck a chord with Arabs who are desperate for their own leaders to have pride too.”

Ayman Safadi, editor in chief of the independent Jordanian daily Al Ghad, said, “The last image for many was of Saddam taken out of a hole. That has all changed now.”

Link.

QUOTE(NUKE @ Jan 2, 2007 -> 04:13 AM)
They really act like its a holy month or day or whatever when they blow people up, gun them down and leave dozens of beaten and bullet riddled bodies laying around.

Religon of peace...............

I have no love lost for a religon that sanctions rape, abuse of women, and murder of anyone who doesn't share their beliefs then claims it is a "religon of peace". I'll take any opportunity I can to point out the hypocrasy in that.

I cant believe someone would say all that..... small minded...

Edited by SoxFan101

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jan 7, 2007 -> 09:37 PM)
I cant believe someone would say all that..... small minded...

Small minded huh? Read the Koran and see what it says about the treatment of women and what should be done with those who do not follow the prophet Mohammed.

If you're going to make stupid comments like that I suggest you have your ducks in a row first.

The teachings of the Koran give women rights to property, inheritance, satisfaction, marriage, divorce, and education. When it was written in the eighth century, it was quite radically feminist. Christian nations didn't give women these rights until over 1000 years later.

QUOTE(NUKE @ Jan 7, 2007 -> 11:09 PM)
Small minded huh? Read the Koran and see what it says about the treatment of women and what should be done with those who do not follow the prophet Mohammed.

If you're going to make stupid comments like that I suggest you have your ducks in a row first.

I have yet to see a religious text that couldn't be "translated" to fit the author's agenda. Nuke, you seem to be the Koran expert here, which language do you read the Koran in? There are dozens and dozens of translations of the Bible, are there as many with the Koran? Forgive my ignorance, I have never tried reading the Koran.

QUOTE(NUKE @ Jan 8, 2007 -> 05:09 AM)

My dad is Muslim and I have read the Koran, I'm not a Muslim myself because I just don't care much for religion but you really have no idea what your talking about....