Columbia House DVD's

SoxFan1

Someone told me about it and said that they've had a good experience with it so I joined. You start off with 5 DVD's at $.49 each and then you have to buy 4 or 5 movies in the next 2 years and you're a life-time member. Supposedly you get ridiculous discounts and stuff.

Anyone else a member? How is it?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 8, 2007 -> 05:19 PM)
I was a member waaaaay back when they were offering (12) 8-track tapes for $.01 :-)

Check to see if they ship the selection of the month if you don't send in the card. That's what nails most people.

That's what I've heard. If you don't respond to the Director Selection, they automatically ship it and you either a.) pay to ship it back or b.) are forced to pay for it.

Edited by SoxFan1

I just finished my obligation with them by getting my buying my 5th DVD, and i canceled my membership right away. It was nice picking 5 dvds for 49 cents to start, but then the 5 dvds over the next 2 years are way overpriced, and none of the ones i had to choose from were that great. You have to buy new releases at full price wich is 19.95 plus some sort of handeling and shipping fee and tax so for each dvd i was billedfor came out to 24 dollars and change. the movies they mail to you to buy, and the few alternative choices were usually chick flicks or family films that i didnt want to own, so i ended up with some movies i never would have bought just to fullfill my commitment. So in the end I ended up with averaged price dvd's and half of them i didnt really care to own. The deals you get as a memeber are ok, but getting a small netflix package then buying used copies from netflix is a much cheaper way to build a nice collection.

QUOTE(joemg311 @ Jan 8, 2007 -> 05:58 PM)
I just finished my obligation with them by getting my buying my 5th DVD, and i canceled my membership right away. It was nice picking 5 dvds for 49 cents to start, but then the 5 dvds over the next 2 years are way overpriced, and none of the ones i had to choose from were that great. You have to buy new releases at full price wich is 19.95 plus some sort of handeling and shipping fee and tax so for each dvd i was billedfor came out to 24 dollars and change. the movies they mail to you to buy, and the few alternative choices were usually chick flicks or family films that i didnt want to own, so i ended up with some movies i never would have bought just to fullfill my commitment. So in the end I ended up with averaged price dvd's and half of them i didnt really care to own. The deals you get as a memeber are ok, but getting a small netflix package then buying used copies from netflix is a much cheaper way to build a nice collection.

Don't you get DVDDollars or something like that for every movie you buy? I've heard if you rack those up, you can get movies for free...and, you get 2 free DVD's for every person you refer.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jan 8, 2007 -> 06:21 PM)
Don't you get DVDDollars or something like that for every movie you buy? I've heard if you rack those up, you can get movies for free...and, you get 2 free DVD's for every person you refer.

yes, they did give me a dvd dollar for every directors selection or whatever they call the new releases you have to buy to fullfill your obligation,which you can use just as money off when buying a dvd if you dont have enough to buy a whole dvd. i dont know if you get them for buying discounted dvds. They did send me an email every month where i could decline their selection without them shipping it out to me (they also gave me a few other alternative choices instead of declining it) which made it nice.

QUOTE(joemg311 @ Jan 8, 2007 -> 09:21 PM)
yes, they did give me a dvd dollar for every directors selection or whatever they call the new releases you have to buy to fullfill your obligation,which you can use just as money off when buying a dvd if you dont have enough to buy a whole dvd. i dont know if you get them for buying discounted dvds. They did send me an email every month where i could decline their selection without them shipping it out to me (they also gave me a few other alternative choices instead of declining it) which made it nice.

Sounds good. I'm a big movie guy and I've heard lot's of great things. You can't beat that 5 for $.49 each offer, either.

Edited by SoxFan1

The big problem I remember (I did it once way back in the day for the CD's) was that you get totally screwed on shipping. I just took advantage of the free one's and than fullfilled my obligation and left and said I'd never do it again.

I may have saved a few bucks, but the shipping charges suck (or at least did) not to mention they didn't typically have the selection I wanted.

Plus when it comes to a lot of movies, if you look around Target or Best Buy, often times you see really good movies on sale for like 5.99-9.99.

What I remember is when I was CD club member. When I was sick of CDs (or when I got those two 20 free CD shipments when I didn't order it and was never charged for it) and wanted to sell them back, many times they wouldn't take them back because it had that special BMG/Columbia House bar code on it. Or they would give me less.

I would never join again, but if you are looking to build up your collection fast, and have some money to spare...it's not the worst thing you can do.

You can send back movies as long as you haven't opened the brown mailer they're sent in.

If you're looking to build your collection this is a good deal. Fulfull your membership, quit, then they'll offer you an even better package to rejoin. Repeat until there just aren't any more movies that you want from their selection.

I'm not in either club any more just because of the damn directors picks that they send you automatically. I'm just bad about remembering to decline online or by sending the postcard.