Pods Surgery Details...

joeynach

Bruce Levine is currently discussing. First of all he said the Erstad signing was sert long before they learned about Pods needing surgery. He this surgery is not related to various groin problems or groin strains Pods has had over the past couple years with the white sox. He said the surgery is on the other side groin where he incurred an injury 4 years ago in Milwaukee. Still didn't really label the surgery as anything specific. I would still like to find out is this a tear, a hernia, a strain, scar tissue, and other details like how long will he be out, whats the timetable, etc.

I guess this make the Erstad signing look a little better. We couldn't just have Ozuna out there everyday in LF we needed a real OF with a real glove and at least Erstad brings that to the table for us.

Edited by joeynach

QUOTE(fathom @ Jan 23, 2007 -> 02:56 PM)
Well, the Pods lovers have an excuse now if he sucks all season again. Forget about Pods or Erstad...Mackowiak's a much better option in LF.

When you suck because of surgery 2 years in a row, it's no longer an excuse; you've gone from being a player who didn't perform because of injury to being injury-prone.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 23, 2007 -> 11:02 PM)
When you suck because of surgery 2 years in a row, it's no longer an excuse; you've gone from being a player who didn't perform because of injury to being injury-prone.

And an injury-prone speed player usually ends up being a crap player.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jan 23, 2007 -> 05:23 PM)
Maybe I'm a psycho, but I'd almost prefer to see Sweeney get the majority of the ABs if Podsednik goes down, just to see if he can hit .270, regardless of the power numbers he puts up.

I would almost prefer sosa... did i really just say that :bang

Not to be an alarmist, but the signs are not good for Pods.

A former speed guy with persistent groin woes and now surgery.

It's time to thank Pods for the Series year and wish him well somewhere else.

Erstad isn't very good is he?

Go with the younguns, Sox.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jan 23, 2007 -> 05:23 PM)
Maybe I'm a psycho, but I'd almost prefer to see Sweeney get the majority of the ABs if Podsednik goes down, just to see if he can hit .270, regardless of the power numbers he puts up.

I agree with this. If Pods is injured or sucks cause he's hurt, Sweeney should be in there.

QUOTE(Vance Law @ Jan 23, 2007 -> 07:51 PM)
I agree with this. If Pods is injured or sucks cause he's hurt, Sweeney should be in there.

That's what I've been wondering

errr, quoted wrong post...i'm also wondering why he waited until now

Edited by mmmmmbeeer

QUOTE(SEALgep @ Jan 23, 2007 -> 05:48 PM)
How was 05 a bad year for him?

Well, the 2nd half wasn't exactly stellar, but my goal in that sentence was this season.

Last season, yeah, ok, i'll accept Pods being hurt as an excuse. He had no spring training, had surgery in the offseason, and didn't seem healthy all year.

Now, we're talking about him missing chunks of ST again, maybe having no ST or missing parts of the season again, and its fairly likely that this will negatively affect his playing ability...again. In other words, he may well suck again this year because of injuries. At which point, he'll have sucked for 2 straight years and been hurt for 2.5. That's injury prone. That's the kind of guy you don't pencil in as your starting leadoff hitter.

Wow, many of you guys are heartless. This guy is having surgeries and busting his rear to come back. I realize many think stolen bases and speed are useless but you don't need to tear the guy to shreds. He was never much more than an average to an above average player at his best who busted his rear to do whatever he could. Depending on the severity of the problem this could very well be the end of a short career. i'm not sure what the problem is because it was kept quiet and no one was talking.

but give the guy a break.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Jan 24, 2007 -> 03:43 AM)
Wow, many of you guys are heartless. This guy is having surgeries and busting his rear to come back. I realize many think stolen bases and speed are useless but you don't need to tear the guy to shreds. He was never much more than an average to an above average player at his best who busted his rear to do whatever he could. Depending on the severity of the problem this could very well be the end of a short career. i'm not sure what the problem is because it was kept quiet and no one was talking.

but give the guy a break.

He doesn't hustle, that's the problem many of us have with him.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jan 23, 2007 -> 10:11 PM)
He doesn't hustle, that's the problem many of us have with him.

on defense it doesn't seem like it, but I do that's because of his groin. I noticed before his groin injury in 2005, even though he got bad reads, he hustled hard towards the ball and hustled when on the bases. Now he runs like he has something stuck up his arse, especially defensively.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jan 23, 2007 -> 10:12 PM)
on defense it doesn't seem like it, but I do that's because of his groin. I noticed before his groin injury in 2005, even though he got bad reads, he hustled hard towards the ball and hustled when on the bases. Now he runs like he has something stuck up his arse, especially defensively.

Then he should not have been playing.