Shannon Stewart

ILoveThisGAme

THIS AND THAT

• The Marlins were one of several teams on hand to watch outfielder Shannon Stewart provide a private workout Friday at Miami-Dade Community College.

Stewart, who turns 33 next month, could be considered an option to play center field. But he has played just 98 games at the position during a career that began with Toronto in 1995, none since 2000. And he has been plagued by ailments in both feet in recent years.

A career .299 hitter with 102 home runs, Stewart was limited to 44 games last season with the Minnesota Twins. He also was being scouted by the Mariners, A's, Rangers, Angels, Reds, Padres and White Sox.

Could be another decent option off the bench or starter in left field?

The White Sox have no remaining slots to fill on their 40 man roster, and barring an additional trade, I don't think they're looking to add anyone else right now (depending on the Uribe situation). Knowing the admiration for the way some of the Twinkies have performed the last few years within our management, I think they'd have picked up Stewart if they thought he was a viable option. They Chose Erstad.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Jan 30, 2007 -> 11:45 AM)
Only waY i can see this changing is if they fear Pods is going to be out for a long time -- like until July.

Maybe Stewart will take a cheap deal with incentives because he wants to win.

More aging left-handed outfielders, this one with with no power or speed or ability to play centerfield and with injury issues to their feet? And who already asked for too much money and was turned down by the Sox.

We got Erstad, first and foremost, because we had only BA who could play CF.

For leftfielders it looks like we're going to have to make do with just Mackowiak, Pods, Erstad, Ozuna, and Fields. We probably won't add a 6th LF unless a meteor hits half the team during a spring-training game.

Stewart is a right handed outfielder and if he doesn't get a contract from anyone else I don't see where the harm is in giving him a minimum deal and have him come in (in case Pods stinks) because while Stewart is god awful defensively in LF (so was Pods) he could be a decent bat to have off the bench (that said it seems we'd have one too many veteran bats on the bench if we did pick him up).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 30, 2007 -> 10:46 AM)
Stewart is a right handed outfielder and if he doesn't get a contract from anyone else I don't see where the harm is in giving him a minimum deal and have him come in (in case Pods stinks) because while Stewart is god awful defensively in LF (so was Pods) he could be a decent bat to have off the bench (that said it seems we'd have one too many veteran bats on the bench if we did pick him up).

Do you think he would accept a minor league deal? If not, who do we drop from the 40 man?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 30, 2007 -> 10:57 AM)
We talked to Stewart, but his price was too high and we went with Erstad. The Stewart stuff is dead.

I wonder what his asking price was. I know hes got real trouble staying healthy. I would have said 1 year deal with an option that becomes guranteed would have done it based on certain perfermence criteria. Say something like 1 year 2.5-3 Mil with incentives that could bring it to like 5 mil and then have an option for 08 at like 6 mil or so based on Ab's or something. Wonder what he demanded if it was 2 years guranteed anything over 12-13 Mil forget about it he wouldn't have been worth it. It would have been nice to have a guy at the top of the order who can actually lit lefties though, unlike Pods, Iguchi, Thome......oh wait that was our 1,2,3 combo for awhile last year no wonder we struggled.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 30, 2007 -> 12:46 PM)
Stewart is a right handed outfielder and if he doesn't get a contract from anyone else I don't see where the harm is in giving him a minimum deal

right-handed, you are correct. my bad. Assumng Pods is out at the beginning of the season which leaves open a potential spot, I still would rather see Ozuna and probably Fields as right-handed lf options.

Why not sign him anyway to a zero-cost, no risk (minor league) Junior Spivey-type deal?

We already inquired about him, and his asking price was too high- one of those-type deals is not available.

QUOTE(Vance Law @ Jan 30, 2007 -> 03:40 PM)
right-handed, you are correct. my bad. Assumng Pods is out at the beginning of the season which leaves open a potential spot, I still would rather see Ozuna and probably Fields as right-handed lf options.

Why not sign him anyway to a zero-cost, no risk (minor league) Junior Spivey-type deal?

We already inquired about him, and his asking price was too high- one of those-type deals is not available.

He'll undoubtedly get more playing time elsewhere, so long as he can prove he's healthy.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jan 30, 2007 -> 03:57 PM)

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jan 30, 2007 -> 03:57 PM)
He'll undoubtedly get more playing time elsewhere, so long as he can prove he's healthy.

Yes, I agree with you, wsf, I was answering my own question in the second line. He won't sign for peanuts with us cause he'll get a better offer somewhere.

QUOTE(Vance Law @ Jan 30, 2007 -> 12:35 PM)
More aging left-handed outfielders, this one with with no power or speed or ability to play centerfield and with injury issues to their feet? And who already asked for too much money ....

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, Let me dial Jim Hendry here really quick .....