trade possiblity?

southsideirish

The Brewers seem to have a lot of outfielders and Ned Yost confirmed that Billy Hall will play center field and Core Hart will play right field. That means Geoff Jenkins, Kevin Mench, Gabe Gross, Brady Clark, Tony Gwynn Jr., and Laynce Nix are all fighting for playing time and one outfield spot.

Could we possibly work out a trade for Brady Clark? I can't believe he would cost that much and he could be an upgrade over Pods and could possibly help out in CF and give BA a day off every now and then.

Any thoughts on this situation? Does this seem like a possibility?

Brady Clark was a guy a lot of people were talking about last season when BA was struggling.

The thing is, we've just brought in Erstad for basically the role that if Clark was acquiried, he would play.

So unless one of our OF's was traded first, I can't see this happening.

We've already got enough of a logjam on the bench as it is.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Feb 15, 2007 -> 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Brady Clark was a guy a lot of people were talking about last season when BA was struggling.

The thing is, we've just brought in Erstad for basically the role that if Clark was acquiried, he would play.

So unless one of our OF's was traded first, I can't see this happening.

We've already got enough of a logjam on the bench as it is.

Who is a better player at this point of their career? Brady Clark or Darrin Erstad? I have no idea as I see very little of either one of them. What is your opinion? Would Clark be or have been a better option? What if Pods is traded? Would Clark be better than him?

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Feb 16, 2007 -> 10:53 AM)
Who is a better player at this point of their career? Brady Clark or Darrin Erstad? I have no idea as I see very little of either one of them. What is your opinion? Would Clark be or have been a better option? What if Pods is traded? Would Clark be better than him?

Probably Clark. The thing is, what would we get back for Pods on the open market, and what would the Brewers want for Clark.

I think most of us would swap Clark and Pods in a heartbeat, but Pods has one thing over Clark which makes him valuable in Ozzie's eyes, speed.

We signed Erstad because he's got good intangibles, plus he was a free agent, so you don't have to give up anything to sign him, instead of trading for Clark.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Feb 15, 2007 -> 06:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Probably Clark. The thing is, what would we get back for Pods on the open market, and what would the Brewers want for Clark.

I think most of us would swap Clark and Pods in a heartbeat, but Pods has one thing over Clark which makes him valuable in Ozzie's eyes, speed.

We signed Erstad because he's got good intangibles, plus he was a free agent, so you don't have to give up anything to sign him, instead of trading for Clark.

What could it possibly take to get Clark. He doesn't seem like a hot commodity and he is 34 years old. I don't see it taking much at all, but I could be wrong. As far as Pods goes, we could be able to get something, maybe a project pitcher like Borchard brought us back last year. Who knows. But your right, he does have speed, something Ozzie loves and the Sox have very little of.

QUOTE(Beltin @ Feb 15, 2007 -> 06:05 PM)
Pods?

thatd be who I was thinking of.

Simply trade him to a team willing to take a flyer on him and try and get a Lujan-type prospect for him. At this point, his speed can't be counted on, and if he doesn't have his speed, you can't count on his defense (not that you ever really could). If a team's lucky, he puts up a either a decent season as a LFer or he acts as a decent 4th OFer.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 15, 2007 -> 05:59 PM)
It is pretty easy to clear room for Clark if you were to really think about it. Take like 2.9 seconds and the answer should come to mind.

Since it seems no one else got it, I like the 2.9 reference :P

As much as it pisses me off, i think the organization is staying with Pods (this year).

Otherwise they would have gone after one of those guys mentioned instead of signing Pods to a contract.

Pods does have a higher ceiling than most of those guys; unfortunately he hasnt been within spitting distance of that ceiling for a year and a half.

Pods is not a bad player. Why are we bashing him? The guy was hurt. He can steal 50 plus bases when healthy and I think do much better this year with the bat. It seems we have to complain about somebody on the team and suggest trading him for some A league rookie and the Sox player doesn't deserve it.

Here's some more discussion on Brady Clark from July and August of last year.

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...=50860&st=0

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...=52830&st=0

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=53421

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Feb 15, 2007 -> 06:56 PM)
Pods is not a bad player. Why are we bashing him? The guy was hurt. He can steal 50 plus bases when healthy and I think do much better this year with the bat. It seems we have to complain about somebody on the team and suggest trading him for some A league rookie and the Sox player doesn't deserve it.

He is a bad player, he's been below average for the majority of his career and when he is healthy enough to attempt a stolen base he does so at a terrible success rate (worst in baseball last season). When exactly is he going to be healthy then? He was apparently injured all of last season and now he's coming off groin surgery (talk about a nagging injury for a speed player.) Even when the guy has found success at the major league level it has been FAR from consistent and to top it all off he's one of the WORST defensive players you're ever going to see.

So ya he's ripped a lot mainly because he deserves it.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 15, 2007 -> 07:03 PM)
He is a bad player, he's been below average for the majority of his career and when he is healthy enough to attempt a stolen base he does so at a terrible success rate (worst in baseball last season). When exactly is he going to be healthy then? He was apparently injured all of last season and now he's coming off groin surgery (talk about a nagging injury for a speed player.) Even when the guy has found success at the major league level it has been FAR from consistent and to top it all off he's one of the WORST defensive players you're ever going to see.

So ya he's ripped a lot mainly because he deserves it.

Exactly.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Feb 15, 2007 -> 05:39 PM)
The Brewers seem to have a lot of outfielders and Ned Yost confirmed that Billy Hall will play center field and Core Hart will play right field. That means Geoff Jenkins, Kevin Mench, Gabe Gross, Brady Clark, Tony Gwynn Jr., and Laynce Nix are all fighting for playing time and one outfield spot.

Could we possibly work out a trade for Brady Clark? I can't believe he would cost that much and he could be an upgrade over Pods and could possibly help out in CF and give BA a day off every now and then.

Any thoughts on this situation? Does this seem like a possibility?

What does Brady Clark do that he doesn't do worse than Mackowiak?

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 15, 2007 -> 11:13 PM)
Hit lefties and play CF. A platoon of Mack and Clark in LF would be far more productive than Podsednik alone.

I don't doubt that.

I admit I don't know much about Clark other than looking at his numbers, but I gotta say I prefer the upside of Erstad as backup CF (especially at the price of $750,000- KW exploits the inefficient market), and Ozuna with his bat, speed, and agressiveness as a platooner in left.

QUOTE(Vance Law @ Feb 15, 2007 -> 11:40 PM)
I don't doubt that.

I admit I don't know much about Clark other than looking at his numbers, but I gotta say I prefer the upside of Erstad as backup CF (especially at the price of $750,000- KW exploits the inefficient market), and Ozuna with his bat, speed, and agressiveness as a platooner in left.

Clark is an above average defensive player with an excellent arm which makes him a better candidate than Ozuna out in left simply because Pablo is not an outfielder and is less than mediocre out there. And based on Clark's '05 season, Erstad's track record offensively over the past 6 years and Darin's injury concerns I'll gladly take the upside of Brady Clark as the team's 4th OF.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 15, 2007 -> 11:58 PM)
Clark is an above average defensive player with an excellent arm which makes him a better candidate than Ozuna out in left simply because Pablo is not an outfielder and is less than mediocre out there. And based on Clark's '05 season, Erstad's track record offensively over the past 6 years and Darin's injury concerns I'll gladly take the upside of Brady Clark as the team's 4th OF.

I have been wanting him on the team for a while now. It just makes too much sense to make this move. He provides a decent lead off guys, someone better than our lovely Pods right now. He can play more OF positions than Pods can now.

Send Pods to the Marlins for some low level pitching prospect and call it a day. They need a CF(pods isnt it and all but they are the marlins for gods sake) and would be desperate enough to take a sniff at pods.