Mariotti out

aboz56

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/col...1&cset=true

Sun-Times' trials aren't limited to courtroom

Published February 16, 2007

Sometimes it's what you read in the paper that's news.

Sometimes it's what you don't.

Just look at the Chicago Sun-Times.

Jay Mariotti, who pops up in the paper almost as often as those naked kids in the "Love Is ..." comics, counted up his columns the other day and realized he's already written more pieces than his contract requires him to deliver for the 12-month period ending April 30.

So rather than pound out another explanation for why things aren't the way they ought to be, he intends to take a vacation--until May. So much for the Masters, the NCAA Final Four, baseball's opening day and the first blown save of the season.

"Certainly the paper misses him," Editor Michael Cooke said, "but we have a lot of bench strength."

Mariotti will continue to appear at the paper even if he's not in it, coming into the newsroom to tape his regular "Around the Horn" appearances for ESPN. But his regular targets can rest easy knowing hunting season doesn't resume for a couple months.

So Kotex met his quota and he's off until May... interesting.

So just living up to the letter of the contract, and not 'giving 110%', is ok with Jay? Somehow if one of the town's atheletes said "I hit my quota of homeruns for the month, I'm gonna just take the next week off", I don't think he wouldn't be thinking the same way.

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ Feb 17, 2007 -> 08:51 AM)
Tim Hardaway hates Jay Mariotti.

Now THAT's a Tim Hardaway opinion I can agree with.... :D

The good news about Hysteriotti being out of the Times til May is obvious (no littering the back page of the paper), but the bad news is he'll have 3+ months to think of stupid nicknames for people and he'll be able to sit back and watch how the early season unfolds for the Sox and Cubs without having to flip-flop all spring.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Feb 17, 2007 -> 12:41 PM)
I think Mariotti is going to leave for greener (read: New York) pastures within the next few years. He has been subtle(sp?) about it, but he has been politicking for it for a while on ATH.

See ya!

Don't let yer fat ass get hit by the door on your way out!

Then again, you might like that.

:whip

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 27, 2007 -> 12:30 PM)
Thank God, Chicago fans want totally biased coverage. :cheers

I can handle columnists that are positive or negative, I just like them to do their jobs (ie. do their own interviews) while they are writing, and quit snagging quotes from other articles and using them as their own.

I enjoy Rosenbloom and he is just about as negative as possible about Chicago teams, Mariotti is just a glorified blogger in my mind.