Luis Terrero

BearSox

I have been really impressed by Terrero this spring training so far. He seems to have a good skill set to be the 4th OF. He has good speed, has a little pop, can make contact, can take a walk, and plays above average D at all 3 outfield spots. Plus, he knows how to bunt! And what makes him different from everyone else is that he is past the 'prospect' phase of his career and now seems to be just a backup/situational player at the MLB level, opposed to Sweeney, Anderson, Owens, who all have starting potential still.

Now, a couple weeks ago Ozzie said if Brian Anderson, Ryan Sweeney, or Jerry Owens don't win a starting spot in ST that they will start at AAA. Now, with Podsednik going to be out until about may, one of those 3 will most likely be kept. So far though, Darin Erstad has looked very good in his playing time and Anderson has looked pretty good also. Jerry Owens has barely played but has played decently, and Ryan Sweeney has been my disappoint for the spring so far. Right now if I had to choose the OF for opening day, it would likely be Erstad, LF; Anderson, CF; Dye, RF; Terrero, 4th OF.

Thoughts?

Edited by BearSox

If Podsednik was truly going to be out until May, I could see him having a good shot at making the big league team. But everything, and I mean everything I've read anywhere except from the folks here suggests that Podsednik will be playing baseball in April, maybe even early April.

Personally though, I'd still prefer Anderson as the starting CF, even if Terrero has a better preseason.

All things considered though, its entirely possible that Terrero could be a better option as a 4th OF than Erstad. Totally serious. Terrero is much less of an injury risk, because of the age/injuries to Erstad Terrero will probably play a better CF, and Terrero had a pretty darn good year at AAA last year despite the fact that he didn't see a lot of big league playing time.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 7, 2007 -> 10:48 PM)
If Podsednik was truly going to be out until May, I could see him having a good shot at making the big league team. But everything, and I mean everything I've read anywhere except from the folks here suggests that Podsednik will be playing baseball in April, maybe even early April.

Personally though, I'd still prefer Anderson as the starting CF, even if Terrero has a better preseason.

All things considered though, its entirely possible that Terrero could be a better option as a 4th OF than Erstad. Totally serious. Terrero is much less of an injury risk, because of the age/injuries to Erstad Terrero will probably play a better CF, and Terrero had a pretty darn good year at AAA last year despite the fact that he didn't see a lot of big league playing time.

Oh heavens no... I don't want him to be the starter, just maybe the 4th OF'er.

And about Podsednik, it seems like they are going to take it nice and slow w/ him and wait until he is fully 100% healthy.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 7, 2007 -> 08:52 PM)
Oh heavens no... I don't want him to be the starter, just maybe the 4th OF'er.

If Podsednik is not ready to start the season, and Ozzie decides Anderson does not earn the starting job, nor do Owens or Sweeney...then who else is left?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 7, 2007 -> 10:53 PM)
If Podsednik is not ready to start the season, and Ozzie decides Anderson does not earn the starting job, nor do Owens or Sweeney...then who else is left?

Well, I guess you do have a point, but then neither Owens, Sweeney, nor Anderson would even be with the team because Ozzie wants them playing everyday. If this were to happen, my guess would be that Erstad starts and Ozzie plugs in whoever played the best out of Sweeney, Anderson, or Owens to be the other OF'er.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 8, 2007 -> 08:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Really? Could have fooled me last season......

Ozzie didn't say this last season, but he did a couple weeks back:

if Brian Anderson, Ryan Sweeney, or Jerry Owens don't win a starting spot in ST that they will start at AAA

At least I don't recall him saying that. Do you?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 8, 2007 -> 09:33 AM)
I'd rather have Pablo.

Your opening day OF could be LF - Ozuna CF - Erstad RF - Dye with Terrerero and Mack as bench options. Not sure who the bench player would be to take Pods roster spot on the DL, but from what Ozzie said it will not be Owens or Sweeney.

I still feel that the OF to start the season will be Erstad, Anderson, and Dye though, and if Anderson is not getting the job done by the time Pods is healthy he will have a short leash this season.

dye - erstad - pods/perez - anderson - ozuna - konerko - thome - mack - iguchi - citron - uribe - crede - aj - hall

burhle - contreras - garland - javy - floyd

hager - amarnza - logan - mcdougal - thorton - jenks

thats my roster.

i want gio, danks, masset AND sisco down in AAA starting

until pods comes back ive got perez in there and then when pods comes back we can reevaluate how perez is working out. if he is doing well, send anderson down...... its gonna be really tough to get perez in this line up but i think he could help a TON.

Edited by hi8is

I just posted this in the game thread, but it really probably belongs here...

Thus far this spring in the race for OF spots (through 3/7 action)...

TEAM POS G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG AVG

B Anderson

CWS OF 4 16 2 3 2 0 0 2 5 0 3 0 0 .188 .313 .188

D Erstad

CWS OF 5 14 2 5 1 0 0 1 6 1 3 1 0 .400 .429 .357

R Sweeney

CWS OF 6 13 2 3 0 0 0 2 3 1 2 0 0 .286 .231 .231

L Terrero

CWS OF 7 12 2 4 0 0 0 2 4 0 2 1 1 .385 .333 .333

J Owens

CWS OF 4 8 2 1 0 0 0 0 1 2 1 1 0 .300 .125 .125

P Ozuna

CWS OF 4 14 3 6 0 1 0 1 8 0 1 1 0 .429 .571 .429

QUOTE(hi8is @ Mar 8, 2007 -> 02:55 PM)
anderson sure is making it easier for the management to take terrero instead of him.

Here is my bet on how it falls out...

Pods won't be ready for Opening Day - he opens the season at AAA doing rehab, for the first couple weeks of baseball. The team will carry Erstad, Anderson AND Terrero to start the year. Then those first two weeks of actual baseball will decide which of Terrero or Anderson gets sent to AAA (more so than Spring Training). So, the opening day position players would be:

OF:

Dye

Erstad

Ozuna

Anderson

Terrero

IF:

Konerko

Thome

Iguchi

Uribe

Cintron

Crede

Mack

C:

AJ

Hall

Plus 11 pitchers makes 25.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 8, 2007 -> 03:13 PM)
Forgive my ignorance, but, which Perez are you referring to? Neither of the Perez' I see getting time in ST are outfielders. Or is that intentional?

Eduardo Perez may be a firstbaseman but there has been talk of him playing a little LF this year against lefties, since he destroys them historically. It wouldn't be the first time the Sox put a non-OF in LF.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 8, 2007 -> 03:38 PM)
Eduardo Perez may be a firstbaseman but there has been talk of him playing a little LF this year against lefties, since he destroys them historically. It would be the first time the Sox put a non-OF in LF.

Perez has a .863 ops ops verse lefties in his career. You and i both know that is not detstroying s***.

Carlton fisk?

QUOTE(qwerty @ Mar 8, 2007 -> 10:33 PM)
Does not mean he destroys them... plain and simple.

Like how you said nothing about fisk...

It was supposed to say "wouldn't" not "would" seeing as how Pablo Ozuna, an infielder and Scott Podsednik, a DH have been playing LF for the past 2 seasons. That's why I didn't address your Fisk statement, I didn't know what the hell you were talking about.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Mar 9, 2007 -> 03:33 PM)
Does not mean he destroys them... plain and simple.

Like how you said nothing about fisk...

qwerty you love Luis Terrero and you know it.

You've been raving about him all off-season of course. :D