BUMPED::::::Toby Hall Possibly out for the season

Steve9347

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 04:23 PM)
Like I posted earlier, Hall would be 6th or 7th on the depth chart for 1B. Why was he out there?

1. Because he is a professional baseball player.

2. It is generally a good position to see if someone can play to allow them to get more ABs (especially against those tough left handers everyone brings up).

3. There is not a lot of running, throwing, etc where someone can easily get hurt or needs to exert themselves a lot.

4. If a hitter is at the end of his career and in the NL, where do they generally put him at? Usually first base. Ever thought as to why?

5. It is Spring Training, and it is good to get players ABs (even if playing at the incredibly risky position of 1B that you never find an oft-injured player at because it is too easy for them to get hurt with all of the running).

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 04:37 PM)
Right or wrong, seems like it's become the easiest thing to do for any Sox misstep...

Name for me right now a single thing Ozzie has done over the past few months that you disagree with. I'm just curious if you can come up with anything. This goes out to everyone by the way because I can name a few times that I've agreed with s*** he's done such as the Danks situation, that was handled when IMO.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 05:40 PM)
Correct. Back up catchers are so unimportant. :huh:

I'm sure Hall agreed as well, that has absolutely nothing to do with it.

back up catchers are a dime a dozen. I'm sure KW can lure Javy Lopez here or a player like him. Its not as a big deal like losing Tads, Crede, Dye, etc. for the season. Too much overreaction for a back up who was marginal at best.

QUOTE(AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 09:43 PM)
back up catchers are a dime a dozen. I'm sure KW can lure Javy Lopez here or a player like him. Its not as a big deal like losing Tads, Crede, Dye, etc. for the season. Too much overreaction for a back up who was marginal at best.

Wow....I'll keep this post in mind over the course of this season when our back-up catchers are hitting .200 or lower.

My point is that you can get injured playing any position in MLB. If he had been injured catching nobody would be saying anything.

Vandy up above just about covers it. I just happen to disagree with you. I'm not that outraged. Just bummed.

He's gone, nothing's gonna change that. Personally I don't think that's gonna sink our season, but there are way too many people here already on the ledge.

;)

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 09:44 PM)
Wow....I'll keep this post in mind over the course of this season when our back-up catchers are hitting .200 or lower.

I was just thinking the same thing. Saying a backup catcher is a dime a dozen is ludicrous. Now I feel like Mike Tyson.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 04:33 PM)
I believe I was out on the patio when the actual play occurred, I went out to fire up the grill, came back in and Toby was laying on the ground. I just said to myself "WIKI TIME!"

I assume the Blizzard was worth it though, right?

I don't doubt you were busy doing all those things for a second, collapse, although you did manage to get back on here a few minutes later to criticize him being in there. :P

So was it steaks? Burgers? Brats?

I suddenly have a craving for a grilled steak and a Blizzard... :(

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 04:42 PM)
If Hall would have been injured catching, there's no one on here that would have blamed Ozzie for that. And I agree with the above post, I don't think Hall was ever a legit option to play 1B during the regular season.

Neither was Timo Perez, but he played something like 10 games there, which gives you all the ammo you need to criticize Ozzie in this case.

QUOTE(AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 04:43 PM)

Good to know Kenny Williams just guaranteed $3.8M to a dime a dozen player. No, it's not as big a loss as losing a starting position player but to just write it off as a meaningless injury just seems foolish to me.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 05:46 PM)
Good to know Kenny Williams just guaranteed $3.8M to a dime a dozen player. No, it's not as big a loss as losing a starting position player but to just write it off as a meaningless injury just seems foolish to me.

I'm not writing it off, what I'm saying is that there are the same players out there as Hall that can do the same things. And yes, KW overpaid for a backup catcher.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 04:45 PM)
I don't doubt you were busy doing all those things for a second, collapse, although you did manage to get back on here a few minutes later to criticize him being in there. :P

So was it steaks? Burgers? Brats?

I suddenly have a craving for a grilled steak and a Blizzard... :(

It was chicken and asparagus actually.

QUOTE(AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 04:48 PM)
I'm not writing it off, what I'm saying is that there are the same players out there as Hall that can do the same things. And yes, KW overpaid for a backup catcher.

Name 1.

QUOTE(AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 09:48 PM)

Please name me one person we can realistically pick up then? Is it like when we got rid of Widger last year, and traded for Sandy Alomar?

QUOTE(AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 04:48 PM)

You didn't get to watch Widger and Alomar play a lot, did you?

QUOTE(AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 03:43 PM)

Quality backup catchers such as Hall are sure as hell not a dime a dozen.

The "overreaction" here is because of his value to our ballclub against divisional pitchers, an opportunity to substitute for Pierzynski when he tires, and because NO ONE is immediately available to replace him.

Our depth at catching was two deep. If Iguchi or Crede goes down we do have options with utility infielders. Same with Dye, as Anderson or Sweeney could substitute. Now, the production in either case wouldn't be pretty, but it'd surely be better than having Wiki Gonzalez or replace Hall.

Sure, go for Javy Lopez. Just remember the guys a turd and former steroid user.

A backup catcher over the past 2 seasons for the Sox is a guy who is going to pick up 140 ABs (most all of them through starts) and play in 46 games. Hall was likely going to get even more ABs this year because of his prowess against left handed pitching.

This is Spring Training, right? I mean, isn't this the time that you SHOULD be sending players out to different positions to try them out? Even as the 6th or 7th option? Personally, I'd rather see our back-up catcher at 1st base than Thome, who, if the same thing happened to him, I think we'd all be a little closer to that edge.

Is the back-up catcher important? Of course it is...but I'd rather have Hall, Perez or Rogowski be the one at 1st than Thome or Erstad who are going to play everyday (sorry, Erstad haters, but it looks that way).

I think a lot of people would argue reasonably well that Hall was one of the best, or even the best, back-up C in baseball. He also would've been our biggest RH threat off the bench, would keep AJ fresh, help with our TERRIBLE hitting against LHP, and call a good baseball game.

This is the biggest loss we could've had to a non-starter (and it might be bigger than if a certain few starters got injured).

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 05:50 PM)
You didn't get to watch Widger and Alomar play a lot, did you?

Name one player, off the top of my head without making a trade:

Javy Lopez

Secondly, I've seen them play enough, I have MLB.TV and watch almost every game. How many games was Hall going to play in a week, the max, 1. Therefore, it is a lost, but it's not the end of the world, calling for Ozzie head, etc. You people need to relax a little bit. Not the end of the world.

Since we're supposed to be first guessing now in order to complain, I thought it was stupid for Erstad to be batting in the 8th or 9th inning of the game yesterday. Erstad busted his ass down the line like he always does, but for someone that's injury prone, maybe you pull him after 5 or 6 innings like you usually do in ST.

QUOTE(AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 05:54 PM)

Javy Lopez

Secondly, I've seen them play enough, I have MLB.TV and watch almost every game. How many games was Hall going to play in a week, the max, 1. Therefore, it is a lost, but it's not the end of the world, calling for Ozzie head, etc. You people need to relax a little bit. Not the end of the world.

Javy Lopez is as much of a catcher as Mike Piazza is.

And the max for games a week was not 1, you're just wrong.

QUOTE(AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 09:54 PM)

Javy Lopez

Nearly every team in our division has two or three lefty starters. Hall would have played twice a week for sure. Javy Lopez is terrible. Just look at how quickly Boston figured that out last year.

QUOTE(AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 04:54 PM)

Javy Lopez

2 games a week at a minimum. Javy Lopez is a DH and a bad one at that.