BUMPED::::::Toby Hall Possibly out for the season

Steve9347

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 04:42 PM)
Name for me right now a single thing Ozzie has done over the past few months that you disagree with. I'm just curious if you can come up with anything. This goes out to everyone by the way because I can name a few times that I've agreed with s*** he's done such as the Danks situation, that was handled when IMO.

I don't like the way he runs his mouth, and that is pretty much constant.

I don't like that he is thinking of BA as a utility man, which is not a great role for him.

I don't like that Floyd gets a longer look for the pen than Haeger, as I said earlier today (that may be Ozzie and/or KW, not sure).

I don't think moving Gooch down the order, again, was a good idea (which it seems Ozzie has since corrected).

That's just in the spring, and off the top of my head. I'm no great Ozzie defender.

QUOTE(AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 04:48 PM)
I'm not writing it off, what I'm saying is that there are the same players out there as Hall that can do the same things. And yes, KW overpaid for a backup catcher.

I think the point your missing is that Toby Hall made the White Sox much better in their weakest area, hitting left handed pitching. Most catchers are right handed hitters hence the need for a Toby Hall is not that great. The Sox needed a guy to in those games when they faced Lee, Sabathia, Santana, etc, would give them a better shot. In games when they face right handed pitchers (80% of the time) this move is meaningless. Also the next time AJ twists an ankle trying to hit a LOOGY, remember this.

If you don't like Javy then you go out and make a deal. Or wait for waviers to pick up someone from a team with 3 good catchers like the Phillies. Your all acting like the season hinges on Toby Hall. Like Javy, theres a reason why he was traded for nothing from Tampa to LA and then LA wanted nothing to do with him.

I don't even care who's fault it is anymore. It happened and there's nothing to change that.

I'm just angry that people are brushing this off like it meant s***. This is a big loss.

Toby Hall was the biggest move of the offseason. We finished in 3rd place last year. We need to get BETTER, not move laterally with garbage back-ups like Wiki or Alomar.

The focus should be who we can pick up somehow to lessen this blow. The only guy that comes to my mind is Miller up in Milwaukee.

We desperately need a catcher that can hit lefties and can call a good game.

QUOTE(AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 04:59 PM)
If you don't like Javy then you go out and make a deal. Or wait for waviers to pick up someone from a team with 3 good catchers like the Phillies. Your all acting like the season hinges on Toby Hall. Like Javy, theres a reason why he was traded for nothing from Tampa to LA and then LA wanted nothing to do with him.

No one has said that the season hinges on Hall but to dismiss him as a "dime a dozen" player is ridiculous.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 04:58 PM)
I don't like the way he runs his mouth, and that is pretty much constant.

I don't like that he is thinking of BA as a utility man, which is not a great role for him.

I don't like that Floyd gets a longer look for the pen than Haeger, as I said earlier today (that may be Ozzie and/or KW, not sure).

I don't think moving Gooch down the order, again, was a good idea (which it seems Ozzie has since corrected).

That's just in the spring, and off the top of my head. I'm no great Ozzie defender.

Thank you, I very much appreciate your honesty.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 05:58 PM)
I think the point your missing is that Toby Hall made the White Sox much better in their weakest area, hitting left handed pitching. Most catchers are right handed hitters hence the need for a Toby Hall is not that great. The Sox needed a guy to in those games when they faced Lee, Sabathia, Santana, etc, would give them a better shot. In games when they face right handed pitchers (80% of the time) this move is meaningless. Also the next time AJ twists an ankle trying to hit a LOOGY, remember this.

His batting stats aren't impressive at all...

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/players/playerpage/127172

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 04:57 PM)
2 games a week at a minimum. Javy Lopez is a DH and a bad one at that.

2 games is about right. I doubt it would have been much more than that, unless he played at first. AJ wasn't going to put up with playing in half, or slightly more than half of the games in a week.

QUOTE(Allsox @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 04:06 PM)
If the organization wasn't so in love with Erstad in CF and put him at 1B to back up Konerko (Which was the reason he was signed in the first place), they wouldn't hafta go with an unknown dude named Wiki.

I think a lot of us have known who he is for years, so I wouldn't say unknown, I would however say good grief.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 06:04 PM)
2 games is about right. I doubt it would have been much more than that, unless he played at first. AJ wasn't going to put up with playing in half, or slightly more than half of the games in a week.

Even at just two games, that adds up to a whole lot of games throughout the season. And for anyone to shrug this off is retarded.

Who would people say is a better back-up C in baseball than Hall was in position to be this year?

QUOTE(AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 05:02 PM)
His batting stats aren't impressive at all...

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/players/playerpage/127172

'06 Vs Lefties: .292/.333/.500/.833

'05 Vs Lefties: .302/.331/.403/.734

'04 Vs Lefties: .294/.339/.431/.770

All while playing above average defense.

Since he'll basically only be facing lefties these numbers impress me quite a bit.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 05:06 PM)
Even at just two games, that adds up to a whole lot of games throughout the season. And for anyone to shrug this off is retarded.

Who would people say is a better back-up C in baseball than Hall was in position to be this year?

I was just commenting on how many games Hall was likely to play. That's all.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 05:07 PM)
'06 Vs Lefties: .292/.333/.500/.833

'05 Vs Lefties: .302/.331/.403/.734

'04 Vs Lefties: .294/.339/.431/.770

All while playing above average defense.

Since he'll basically only be facing lefties these numbers impress me quite a bit.

Let's just keep harping on it...maybe all of the negativity will heal his labrum faster.

He's gone...possibly for the year. Let's find an alternative or suck it up with Wiki or Gustavo. Not comparing, but anyone remember Wally Pipp and Lou Gehrig? Sometimes all you need is a chance. It's a new year and we haven't even hit Opening Day.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 01:12 PM)
Not good. We're not better for this. That is, unless the team becomes so incredibly inspired from the loss that everyone has career seasons.

I think that this is the most likely scenario. Toby Hall was the most inspiring figure in all of baseball, and someday we'll all look back and see that his torn labrum was the catalyst for the White Sox in 2007.

So let me be the first to say: Thanks, Toby Hall's labrum!

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 05:11 PM)
Let's just keep harping on it...maybe all of the negativity will heal his labrum faster.

He's gone...possibly for the year. Let's find an alternative or suck it up with Wiki or Gustavo. Not comparing, but anyone remember Wally Pipp and Lou Gehrig? Sometimes all you need is a chance. It's a new year and we haven't even hit Opening Day.

I was responding to a post, if you don't like it don't read it. I'm not going to avoid responding to a direct statement because you can't handle it. I don't mean to be an ass but I just don't get why you did that.

Wiki Gonzalez is 33 years old and has been given quite a few chances, failing miserably each time and I've been thoroughly unimpressed with Molina's play in Spring Training as well as his minor league production. Nothing about either of them indicates they could produce at the major league level. As for possible replacements, there aren't a lot out there. I'd absolutely love Damian Miller but outside of that I can't think of many other names.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 05:16 PM)
I was responding to a post, if you don't like it don't read it. I'm not going to avoid responding to a direct statement because you can't handle it. I don't mean to be an ass but I just don't get why you did that.

Wiki Gonzalez is 33 years old and has been given quite a few chances, failing miserably each time and I've been thoroughly unimpressed with Molina's play in Spring Training as well as his minor league production. Nothing about either of them indicates they could produce at the major league level. As for possible replacements, there aren't a lot out there. I'd absolutely love Damian Miller but outside of that I can't think of many other names.

And haven't the Brewers said plenty of times that they want to hold on to Damian?