BUMPED::::::Toby Hall Possibly out for the season

Steve9347

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 27, 2007 -> 07:04 PM)
There is no harm in this move.

1. If he goes under the knife tomorrow, he is done for the season.

2. If he comes back in May, can't cut it, he has surgery, and is done for the season.

3. If things stay the way they are, a Toby Hall at 50%>>100% Wiki Gonzalez.

The only way I could see it coming back to bite the Sox, is if they put alot of faith in Hall coming back, keeping them from finding another backup C. However, that seems very unlikely to happen.

He's still going on the 60-day dl, right?

The other thing that could go wrong is that keeping him on the 40-man now or returning him from the 60-day dl in May requires clearing another spot, I think. Which is okay, unless he's back for a week or so only to realize that he can't play through it, in which case we've lost a player for nothing. I'd like to see a slow, careful rehab to be as sure as possible that he's ready.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Mar 27, 2007 -> 05:32 AM)
I remember seeing Jose Molina's name come up in an ESPN article of bats that were supposedly available via trade.

Jose would make a lot of sense and while I don't have anything against Molina (i'll be the first to admit he's one of the worse back up catchers in the game) I am not overly concerned since we I don't expect him to be the reason we make or don't make the playoffs (sorry but backup catcher is truly a minute worry). And yes, I think Kenny will eventually trade for someone to catch for us but it may be a couple weeks into the season when he makes said move.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 27, 2007 -> 10:32 PM)
I think Kenny will eventually trade for someone to catch for us but it may be a couple weeks into the season when he makes said move.

I'd say a month or two mostly because of the Toby Hall situation. He will rehab it of course for that month or so and they'll consider where he stands from there.

QUOTE(vandy125 @ Mar 27, 2007 -> 05:00 PM)
:lolhitting Come on man. That is a bit of a drastic statement. How about we throw a comparison out there for you?

1B - Stands and catches the ball from an infielder occasionally

C - Sits and catches the ball from a pitcher every pitch

1B - Occasionally fields grounders

C - Also occasionally fields grounders (depends on the pitcher)

1B - Catches line drives

C - Also catches line drives, but they come at him on every pitch

1B - Catches pop-ups

C - Also catches pop-ups, but with a mask and other equipment in the way.

Anything I am missing?

You're not missing anything, but your first point actually defends my stance. The reason I say going from catcher to any position is a more drastic change than any other position swap is because a catcher does his work from a crouch. Yes he catches line drives, and grounders but from a crouch position. He slides left or right, sometimes puts a knee down, but the thing is his weight is always low. Be it crouching or kneeling. If he dives right to stop a wild pitch his weight isn't all on his arm when he lands because he has a low center of gravity to start with. Now if you dive from a standing or fielding position it's totally different. You're weight is all coming down from above.

I'm not saying 1st base is harder than catcher, in fact, I know the opposite is true. I'm just saying fielding the two positions is drastically different.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 27, 2007 -> 05:13 PM)
You conveniently left out that a first baseman has to dive for a ball, and a catcher doesn't. Diving is definitely a skill that you get better at with experience.

I have seen catchers dive for things like popped up bunts, and foul pop ups.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 28, 2007 -> 02:39 PM)
I have seen catchers dive for things like popped up bunts, and foul pop ups.

Yes, but during those rare times that a catcher might have to dive, it's usually straight ahead on their belly due to the equipment they have on. Obviously, if you're in the infield, you're going to have to dive a heck of a lot more towards your right or left. Unfortunately, it was on a dive to his right/left that Hall got hurt.

Good point Tizzle.

But you know they are not going to play him if he can't throw anybody out.

He simply won't play.

Because of the injury, he's obviously a wasted acquisition.

We need to pick up some veteran who has been axed.

Why not Widger?

Toby Hall was interviewed today at the Sox run through at the Cell. It was just run on Sportsnite (on Comcast). He is very optimistic that he will be back in May. He and KW both seemed very positive about how things look to be coming along.

Edited by JDsDirtySox

QUOTE(JDsDirtySox @ Apr 1, 2007 -> 10:14 PM)
Toby Hall was interviewed today at the Sox run through at the Cell. It was just run on Sportsnite (on Comcast). He is very optimistic that he will be back in May. He and KW both seemed very positive about how things look to be coming along.

Yay.

QUOTE(JDsDirtySox @ Apr 1, 2007 -> 10:14 PM)

I saw that too... They think it might be something he has always had actually, and they first realized it now. Hopefully he will be back by may.

• 1 month later...

It's funny reading this thread to see how many people thought the loss of Hall wouldn't be a big deal. 0 for 16 later by Molina....I wonder if they still think a back-up catcher who can hits lefties wouldn't benefit this offense?

Edited by fathom

Even though he has no hits, the Sox are 4-2 in Molina's starts I believe. I think his lack of offense is being overblown as far as wins and losses so far, but obviously it will take its toll after a while.Toby Hall could be Joe DiMaggio at the plate, and if he caught today, the Sox still would have lost.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 13, 2007 -> 04:14 PM)
It's funny reading this thread to see how many people thought the loss of Hall wouldn't be a big deal. 0 for 16 later by Molina....I wonder if they still think a back-up catcher who can hits lefties wouldn't benefit this offense?

LOL. Yeah, I am sure its not Konerko, Dye, Thome's injury, Iguchi, or Crede's offense costing us games, it is the 16 ABs in 30 something games by the back up catcher :P

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 14, 2007 -> 02:42 AM)
LOL. Yeah, I am sure its not Konerko, Dye, Thome's injury, Iguchi, or Crede's offense costing us games, it is the 16 ABs in 30 something games by the back up catcher :P

It has nothing to do with wins/losses. It has everything to do with people thinking back-up catcher wasn't an important position. After today, we're averaging 4.1 hits against the 9 starting lefty pitchers we've faced this year. Thankfully, Toby Hall will be able to play 1B though.