Sox vs. D-Backs, 3:05 CDT, 3/28/07

Steve9347

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Mar 28, 2007 -> 02:08 PM)
Just got back from class, how's Danks looking?

4-0 D Backs, top 4th inning, 5 hits, 5 walks, 1 HR given up by Danks.

6 straight pitches out of the strike zone brings out Ozzie.

Edited by Balta1701

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Mar 28, 2007 -> 04:08 PM)
Just got back from class, how's Danks looking?

Pretty much exactly like he did last time out.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 28, 2007 -> 04:12 PM)
These walks are inexcusable. I don't care if he's a rookie.

If he's doing this in the season, he'll stay will be short lived.

39 balls, 36 strikes is disgusting from anyone. Especially someone who was noted for his control.

Before he got his final three outs in his last outing he was sitting at 24 balls and 22 strikes. That's why I was down on his last outing.

Danks hasn't exactly been noted for his control prior to arriving in camp. Look at his minor league numbers. They certainly don't scream control pitcher.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Mar 28, 2007 -> 03:14 PM)
Danks hasn't exactly been noted for his control prior to arriving in camp. Look at his minor league numbers. They certainly don't scream control pitcher.

I meant this spring. At a certain point, IIRC, he had a ratio of 14 strikeouts to 1 walk. Guillen was going on and on about him throwing strikes.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Ozzie was complaining in the press yesterday because Boone walked two guys. However, the last week or so, he's been saying how much he likes Danks cause he can throw strikes? Didn't Danks walk 4 guys in his last outing?

I would still love to bet anyone that McCarthy's ERA will be better this year than whoever is our 5th starter.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 28, 2007 -> 04:17 PM)
I meant this spring. At a certain point, IIRC, he had a ratio of 14 strikeouts to 1 walk. Guillen was going on and on about him throwing strikes.

Which should you believe, 10 random innings in Tucson, or a minor league career spanning (without looking it up) 450 innings?

QUOTE(shawnhillegas @ Mar 28, 2007 -> 09:22 PM)
Is this a highly contested point?

Oh yeah. It amazes me how many people think we can just throw "name your pitcher" into the 5th starting role, and at worst, they'll have a 5.50 ERA. The common argument is that the list of guys we have up for contention is better than the busters in 2004. However, the minor league numbers for many of the 2004 busters were just as good as the guys we've been trying out for the 5th starter spot now.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Mar 28, 2007 -> 09:23 PM)
Which should you believe, 10 random innings in Tucson, or a minor league career spanning (without looking it up) 450 innings?

Totally different game though facing major league hitters. When I was watching Danks last game, he was throwing a lot of high fastballs (at 91 mph, that pitch might go a long way). In the minors, you'll get more guys swinging at that pitch than you will in the majors.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 28, 2007 -> 02:24 PM)
Oh yeah. It amazes me how many people think we can just throw "name your pitcher" into the 5th starting role, and at worst, they'll have a 5.50 ERA. The common argument is that the list of guys we have up for contention is better than the busters in 2004. However, the minor league numbers for many of the 2004 busters were just as good as the guys we've been trying out for the 5th starter spot now.

Saying they should be able to pull out a 5.50 ERA is a lot different from saying they'll have a lower ERA than McCarthy.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 28, 2007 -> 03:18 PM)
I would still love to bet anyone that McCarthy's ERA will be better this year than whoever is our 5th starter.

Considering the competition Danks will have within our division, and the possible hurting he will receive from 4+ walk outings such as today, there's a good probability you'll be correct.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 28, 2007 -> 03:24 PM)

I'm amazed that individuals on this board could think that after 2004. But you will make a lot of money if you take people up on that bet.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 28, 2007 -> 09:25 PM)
Saying they should be able to pull out a 5.50 ERA is a lot different from saying they'll have a lower ERA than McCarthy.

Trust me, there were people on here over the last few weeks saying that Danks or Floyd would put up a similar/better ERA to McCarthy.

I don't bet on baseball, but if Santana does face Danks during that 2nd series of the year, you could make a lot of money betting on the Twins. I like Danks, and think he'll eventually be a good #3 starter, but he's going to have a lot of trouble in the majors right now.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Mar 28, 2007 -> 03:23 PM)

No doubt the 450 innings.

I'm just suggesting for a pitcher known for control this spring, especially to Guillen, he'll ride himself out of Chicago quickly with starts such as today.

Remember, he won the spot this spring based upon the 20 random Tuscon innings, not his career numbers.

Edited by Flash Tizzle