ESPN's Steve Phillips actually picked Sox for WC

caulfield12

I personally feel the Tigs were one year wonders, and I don't think the Twins have that good of a rotation to be as good as their were last year. I think it will go White Sox, Indians, Twins, Tigers, Royals. For the East, I think the Yanks will win it once again, followed by the BJays, and the Red Sox offseason fails miserably with them in 3rd place.

I think the Tigers are grossly overrated and did indeed have a miraculous start (76-36) last year and just kinda limped in.

I don't see them in the mix this year...one of the few who don't. A lot of people in here are making the Twins, Tigers and Indians to be unbeatable and we need to remember that's not close to the case...if we do our thing this year we'll be in the mix.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Apr 1, 2007 -> 05:09 PM)
I personally feel the Tigs were one year wonders, and I don't think the Twins have that good of a rotation to be as good as their were last year. I think it will go White Sox, Indians, Twins, Tigers, Royals. For the East, I think the Yanks will win it once again, followed by the BJays, and the Red Sox offseason fails miserably with them in 3rd place.

It's obvious, as with the 2005/6 White Sox, the Tigers' success will ultimately depend upon the starting rotation.

How I look at it is Verlander and Bonderman are both 24 year old pitchers; both capable of improving -- or atleast matching -- last season's statistics.

Robertson will likely regress, as will Mike Maroth (based upon limited innings); but I don't know if it will be to the extent our starters fell back. We'll have to see with these two.

An obvious "x-factor" here is Andrew Miller. If someone within the rotation (likely Durbin) is struggling, and several starters aren't living up to expectations, we will undoubtedly see him in the second half. If he's capable of immediately producing, that may give their ballclub three potential aces atop the rotation. Such a formidable front of starters can overcome any reasonable deficit in the division.

I doubt Miller will do any Cy Young-type dominating this year. Young phenoms generally don't dominate IMMEDIATELY. Think Felix Hernandez. (Of course, we've got Liriano and Jered Weaver as counters, but I just don't think Miller will come up and dominate. How old's he, 19?)

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Apr 1, 2007 -> 06:53 PM)
I doubt Miller will do any Cy Young-type dominating this year. Young phenoms generally don't dominate IMMEDIATELY. Think Felix Hernandez. (Of course, we've got Liriano and Jered Weaver as counters, but I just don't think Miller will come up and dominate. How old's he, 19?)

Uh, dude, Felix did dominate coming out of the gate. I mean, 84.1, 2.64 ERA, 0.99 WHIP, K/9 of almost 9, K/BB of a little over 3, a HR/9 of 0.53, and a HRfopnnBA/9 (home runs from other players not named Brian Anderson) of 0.32. He struggled last year his second time through the league, like a lot of young players do, but that's really not a good example at all.

And I think the Tigers are going to struggle this year because I just don't think the offense is good enough. It seemed to play a bit over its head last year, and unless they become more patient, I think they're going to struggle with consistency all year long and that's something they can't afford in a division like the Central.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Apr 1, 2007 -> 06:53 PM)

I don't believe its a guarantee he'll immediate produce, either.

However, if the 5th starter (Durbin/Ledezma/Minor) are struggling and Rogers' recovery extends past July, I would take my chances with a 96mph fastball/88-89 mph slider from the left side.

He'll be 22 this season.

It seems like every year critics pick the Indians to make it. They have tremendous talent but they haven't proven they can make it yet. IMO the Tigers are the team to beat in the Central. The loss of Kenny Rogers makes things interesting for the central. You can never count out the Twins either..they seem to be in the hunt every year thanks to Johan, Maur and Morneau. I respect that Phillips is showing some props to the Sox while everyother critic has them going 3rd or 4th. But I agree that the wildcard will probably not come out of the central. If we make the playoffs it would be through winning the division.

The key to the season is getting off to a fast start and not looking back via the 2005 season. Whatever happens i think we all know it will come down to the final week of the season.

Lets do this thing!!! Can't wait for the opening pitch!!!

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Apr 1, 2007 -> 07:07 PM)
I don't believe its a guarantee he'll immediate produce, either.

However, if the 5th starter (Durbin/Ledezma/Minor) are struggling and Rogers' recovery extends past July, I would take my chances with a 96mph fastball/88-89 mph slider from the left side.

He'll be 22 this season.

I don't know about Miller. His fastball wasn't as explosive as advertised, and it seemed like he had some control and mechanical issues with his release point. Not saying he will be a bust, but I don't see him going out there like Verlander or Liriano and dominating the AL.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Apr 1, 2007 -> 06:13 PM)
It seems like every year critics pick the Indians to make it. They have tremendous talent but they haven't proven they can make it yet. IMO the Tigers are the team to beat in the Central. The loss of Kenny Rogers makes things interesting for the central. You can never count out the Twins either..they seem to be in the hunt every year thanks to Johan, Maur and Morneau. I respect that Phillips is showing some props to the Sox while everyother critic has them going 3rd or 4th. But I agree that the wildcard will probably not come out of the central. If we make the playoffs it would be through winning the division.

The key to the season is getting off to a fast start and not looking back via the 2005 season. Whatever happens i think we all know it will come down to the final week of the season.

Lets do this thing!!! Can't wait for the opening pitch!!!

Not that it means very much but Wilbon picked the Sox to win the World Series again.