Sweeney 0-4, K

Broadway 5 IP, 3 R (2 ER)

Malone 3 IP, 0 R

Logan 3 IP, 1 R, 5 K (L)

Carolina 0 @ Birmingham 10

Getz 2-5, 3B, 2 RBI, R

Collaro 1-4, RBI, 2 R, 2 K

Lucy 2-4, 2B, RBI, 2 R

Egbert 6 IP, 0 R, 12 K, 1 BB, 2 hits (W)

Kannapolis 4 @ Columbus 1

Allen 1-3, 2B, RBI, R

Carter 1-3, 2B, RBI, R, BB

Gomes 2-4, R

Zazueta 5 IP, 0 R, 4 K, 2 BB, 4 hits

Broadway and Egbert are two guys that need to pitch well for us. Broadway is trade bait b/c we have a better version of him in McCulloch and Egbert could really take off this year as he has been old for his league every year. He will be 24 in May, so if he could get to AAA by mid-season (although this would take an injury or trade in AAA) he could become pretty valuable.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Apr 7, 2007 -> 01:27 PM)
Broadway and Egbert are two guys that need to pitch well for us. Broadway is trade bait b/c we have a better version of him in McCulloch and Egbert could really take off this year as he has been old for his league every year. He will be 24 in May, so if he could get to AAA by mid-season (although this would take an injury or trade in AAA) he could become pretty valuable.

I've always read and heard that Broadway was better than McCullogh, and that McCullogh was even a "softer" thrower.

Plus, the org. seems to be happy with the progress of Lance in adding a two-seam fastball to his repertoire. Neither of them projects as more than a 4/5.

However, you can see how Matt Guerrier (a pitcher with similar stuff) has really made a career for himself as a middle reliever...that's the best we can hope for them at this point.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Apr 7, 2007 -> 01:27 PM)

hmmm??? From what I have heard, Broadway has a higher cieling then Broadway and has more potential, plus better stuff. And the org. is pretty high on Broadway as well.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Apr 7, 2007 -> 07:03 PM)
hmmm??? From what I have heard, Broadway has a higher cieling then Broadway and has more potential, plus better stuff. And the org. is pretty high on Broadway as well.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y2006/tracker/search.jsp

There's a video you can watch of him if you'd like.

I think Baseball America and BP has Broadway ahead of McCullough, but the margin is not that great...and probably because Lance is closer to the bigs.

Lance, by the way, has given up 3 runs (2 earned) so far tonight in 3 IP. Josh Fields has started the season 0 for 9.

Edited by caulfield12

Introducing 21 year old pitcher Faustino De Los Santos. His line today in relief for Kanny: 3 IP, 1 R, 4 K, 1 BB, 2 hits. That alone is nothing spectacular, but I clicked on his profile on milb.com and his 2006 DSL stats were listed. 48.1 IP, 20 R (10 ER) making for a 1.86 ERA, 61 K, 10 BB, 44 hits in 10 appearances, 9 starts. Those are damn good stats, maybe he can turn into something this year. Even considering his age, it's rare the Sox jump a guy from the DSL to A ball.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Apr 8, 2007 -> 10:25 AM)
Winston-Salem got postponed due to cold. Kanny scoreless after 5, Jose Zazueta pitching well.

Zazueta's another little sleeper himself.

Another Dan Cortes in the making perhaps?

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 7, 2007 -> 04:42 PM)
I've always read and heard that Broadway was better than McCullogh, and that McCullogh was even a "softer" thrower.

Plus, the org. seems to be happy with the progress of Lance in adding a two-seam fastball to his repertoire. Neither of them projects as more than a 4/5.

However, you can see how Matt Guerrier (a pitcher with similar stuff) has really made a career for himself as a middle reliever...that's the best we can hope for them at this point.

Ya, I think we should be hoping for a lot more than that out of McCulloch and Broadway. I don't think either projects as a #1 but I think both project as potential #3's and in this day and era a #3 can be a pretty darn good pitcher (a true #3). I think Broadway is the better prospect of the two though, but its not by much and I also believe both are guys that the org would consider trading to upgrade in another area.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 7, 2007 -> 08:01 PM)
Zazueta's another little sleeper himself.

Another Dan Cortes in the making perhaps?

I haven't heard much about Zazueta and definitely don't know enough about his stuff to make any sort of assessment but I'd be surprised if he had the type of arm that Cortes has/had.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 8, 2007 -> 01:09 PM)
I haven't heard much about Zazueta and definitely don't know enough about his stuff to make any sort of assessment but I'd be surprised if he had the type of arm that Cortes has/had.

Yeah I haven't heard a great deal about his stuff either, but I was referring to his age, and the level he's at if he can be successful down at Kanny this season.