The Sopranos

RibbieRubarb

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ May 21, 2007 -> 09:13 AM)
I like these recaps by this Sipenwell guy and had to avoid the thread last week until I could catch up on a missed episode. Thanks for sharing.

Very minor point, but he's probably making a bigger deal out of Chris still being in the credits. The Ahmed and Mohamed actors were in the credits last night too, apparently because their likenesses appeared as still photos when the feds showed them to Tony. Similarly, Chris showed up as a photo from the Cleaver set on the wall at Satriele's (sp?), so Imperioli probably had to appear in the credits.

I imagine that Sepinwall meant the opening credits. I don't think the arab guys were in the opening credits. I've seen characters that are dead appear in the opening credits a number of times before, like with Adriana the episode after she died. I think the main cast for the season pretty much stays the same for the opening credits for that season.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ May 21, 2007 -> 03:40 PM)
Anyone also notice what a prick Baccala has become. His character has done a 180 since his first wacking.

Next Episode Detail: The Blue Comet - The Sopranos

Loyalty to Tony reaches a critical stage for those within his sphere of influence; a case of mistaken identity has grave consequences.

Could the mistaken indentity be Meadow? She was supposedly rear ended in this last episode. Which they didn't even elaborate on. I thought that was kinda strange, but if she is driving Tony's car in the next episode and something happens then it would all make sense. It's a stretch, but possible.

No, I haven't noticed much about Baccala since he's said a combined 10 words since their huge brawl in episode one, which Tony Soprano healed from in three hours time, so nobody in his crew ever found out about. I think Baccala has also be in about 1.323 minutes of footage SINCE that episode. I thought they'd delve deeper into his psyche being screwed after the wacking, but in typical Soprano fashion, they just ignore it all and move on.

Meh.

Some of the stuff in this show is annoying, while other parts of it are still really good. IMO, the show has fallen dramatically in terms of quality since season 2 ended.

I'm just hoping the show ends in a non-predictable way, because if it ends like Goodfellas -- well, then I'd have to say I already saw that ending, and I liked it better the first time around.

QUOTE(Y2HH @ May 22, 2007 -> 08:04 AM)
No, I haven't noticed much about Baccala since he's said a combined 10 words since their huge brawl in episode one, which Tony Soprano healed from in three hours time, so nobody in his crew ever found out about. I think Baccala has also be in about 1.323 minutes of footage SINCE that episode. I thought they'd delve deeper into his psyche being screwed after the wacking, but in typical Soprano fashion, they just ignore it all and move on.

Meh.

Some of the stuff in this show is annoying, while other parts of it are still really good. IMO, the show has fallen dramatically in terms of quality since season 2 ended.

I'm just hoping the show ends in a non-predictable way, because if it ends like Goodfellas -- well, then I'd have to say I already saw that ending, and I liked it better the first time around.

I don't think they ignored it at all. If they had, I wouldn't have noticed his behavior. I mean they're not going to spend the last few episodes on a background character like Baccala, but they have shown enough to see the change in his persona.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ May 22, 2007 -> 09:27 AM)
I don't think they ignored it at all. If they had, I wouldn't have noticed his behavior. I mean they're not going to spend the last few episodes on a background character like Baccala, but they have shown enough to see the change in his persona.

I agree. Bobby has been quiet and sullen since coming back from his job in Canada. And he's obviously stewing in his own juices over Tony making him kill somebody, exactly the same way Tony resented his father for doing it to him. I think Baccala is going to become pivotal here at the end – maybe to the point of flipping on Tony or even helping set him up for the NY Family. I hope there's time to have his relationship with Uncle Junior come up again and help tie up both of those plot threads, but that may be asking too much.

Judging by the hints in the previews, I wonder if we find out that Paulie has been the one playing both sides of the fence with the NY crew? There have been little hints all along about Tony really starting to hate him, and it would be an easy sell for a whacking.

The AJ suicide scene was really powerful. It really got you wondering if it would happen, until Tony got home.

The scene where Tony evened the score for Meadow was vintage Soprano's action. We haven't seen a beatdown like that for a while now.

Finally the one foreshadow that I didn't see anyone mention was the very end where Tony and AJ walk into the light together...

Remember though Chase has come out multiple times and said he won't do any sort of cliche ending. He keeps harping about the show being set in the 'real' world where 'real' things happen. He doesn't like to tie things up in a nice, neat package either. I personally see the show ending with maybe one more death and a mob war between NY and NJ, ending with Tony having to decide how to end it.

One thing I love about this season is Phil's character. What a mean SOB that guy has become. Great acting there.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 22, 2007 -> 09:05 AM)
Finally the one foreshadow that I didn't see anyone mention was the very end where Tony and AJ walk into the light together...

Good catch. If it actually meant something, and I hope it did, I hope we see something come of it.

QUOTE(Y2HH @ May 22, 2007 -> 09:58 AM)
Good catch. If it actually meant something, and I hope it did, I hope we see something come of it.

With this show you never know, but you always have to pay attention for those kind of details. Those are always the little things that come back later.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 22, 2007 -> 10:09 AM)
With this show you never know, but you always have to pay attention for those kind of details. Those are always the little things that come back later.

I also wouldn't be surprised if that is the last we see of AJ. Kind of like Uncle Junior, the last time we see him was sitting comotosed in a old people's home.

Who knows.

QUOTE(Brian @ May 22, 2007 -> 11:10 AM)
I also wouldn't be surprised if that is the last we see of AJ. Kind of like Uncle Junior, the last time we see him was sitting comotosed in a old people's home.

Who knows.

They show him falling down in a ditch or something like that while getting chased in the previews of the remaining episodes.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 22, 2007 -> 09:05 AM)

Walking into the light, while both dressed in black.

I think the FBI guys play a bigger role than everyone on here suggests. The connection between those two known terrorists and Tony's crew are large and apparent, even though some of it died with Chris. I thought it was strange how sullen the Agents looked after Tony correctly identified the two men. Im feeling an indictment coming on at the end of the show.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 22, 2007 -> 01:26 PM)
I think the FBI guys play a bigger role than everyone on here suggests. The connection between those two known terrorists and Tony's crew are large and apparent, even though some of it died with Chris. I thought it was strange how sullen the Agents looked after Tony correctly identified the two men. Im feeling an indictment coming on at the end of the show.

Or perhaps a terror attack...?

QUOTE(Damen @ May 22, 2007 -> 11:42 AM)
Walking into the light, while both dressed in black.

Good catch. I missed that.

QUOTE(Steff @ May 22, 2007 -> 02:24 PM)
Or perhaps a terror attack...?

Interesting. I hadn't thought of that angle at all. I was thinking they would use that cooperation as a wedge to try to get him to cooperate against the New York family when they inevitably pinch Tony on the RICO charges.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 22, 2007 -> 02:33 PM)
Interesting. I hadn't thought of that angle at all. I was thinking they would use that cooperation as a wedge to try to get him to cooperate against the New York family when they inevitably pinch Tony on the RICO charges.

There wont be a NY family to cooperate against soon....

QUOTE(Steff @ May 22, 2007 -> 02:37 PM)

It seems like they are heading down that road sometimes, but wouldn't that be pretty cliche for a gangster series? Do they do the final shootout at the tollbooth as well? Who knows. Hopefully they come up with a better ending that a shootout with the NY mob.

QUOTE(Steff @ May 22, 2007 -> 02:37 PM)

I agree. But I don't think it will a gangland war. David Chase has always been an advocate againt those cliches.

I think Phil and his NY crew will go down...but not with a shout, but with a whisper.

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ May 22, 2007 -> 02:49 PM)
I agree. But I don't think it will a gangland war. David Chase has always been an advocate againt those cliches.

I think Phil and his NY crew will go down...but not with a shout, but with a whisper.

Agree. Demise does not always mean a shootout.

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ May 22, 2007 -> 02:49 PM)

A Steven King biblical ending... Interesting.

The best Phil part of that episode wasn't all his bluster, it was him hiding in his upstairs room shouting down to the street at Tony like a jilted dumped high school girl.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 22, 2007 -> 02:54 PM)
A Steven King biblical ending... Interesting.

The best Phil part of that episode wasn't all his bluster, it was him hiding in his upstairs room shouting down to the street at Tony like a jilted dumped high school girl.

I wish the girls I dumped in High School just yelled at me from their window. Lucky guy. :bang

Also, my Meadow/Michael Corleone comparison from last month is looking stronger every week.

Edited by RibbieRubarb

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ May 22, 2007 -> 02:57 PM)
I wish the girls I dumped in High School just yelled at me from their window. Lucky guy. :bang

Also, my Meadow/Michael Corleone comparison from last month is looking stronger every week.

Now that would be a kickass ending. I always thought she would be the one to end up in the family business somehow. You could always tell AJ wasn't cut out for it.

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ May 22, 2007 -> 02:57 PM)

That might get a bit weak in 2 weeks. The hot rumor is that since Meadow's car is in the shop she will be driving Tony's truck and be driven off the road and killed. :ph34r:

QUOTE(Steff @ May 22, 2007 -> 03:02 PM)
That might get a bit weak in 2 weeks. The hot rumor is that since Meadow's car is in the shop she will be driving Tony's truck and be driven off the road and killed. :ph34r:

I heard that too. If you think Tony hated a little whip cream on her face...Well Then....the end would the bloodbath people want.