Jim Thome countdown to 500 thread!

BearSox

I noticed there was a Frank Thomas countdown to 500 thread in the MLB forum, but no Thome countdown to 500 thread here... Well, it is time for Thome to get his.

Thome is currently at 474. That means he has 26 more to go... Hopefully he gets those 26 more this year, with the 26th hopefully being at the Cell!

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 07:53 PM)
I think we should start countdown threads for A-Rod and Manny as well, along with Griffey and Sosa 600 threads, Pedro and Biggio 3000 threads and a Glavin 300 thread.

COUNTDOWN THREADS FOR ALL!!!

Nah, only cool people get these honors.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 08:02 PM)
Talent wise I'm not sure it's even close. If he doesn't jump into that f***ing wall in right center at the King Dome he'd have passed Aaron by now.

HEY HE CAUGHT THE BALL AND PERHAPS SAVED THE GAME, ISNT THAT ALL YOU CAN ASK FOR OUT OF A PLAYER

/Aaron Rowand

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 07:53 PM)
I think we should start countdown threads for A-Rod and Manny as well, along with Griffey and Sosa 600 threads, Pedro and Biggio 3000 threads and a Glavin 300 thread.

COUNTDOWN THREADS FOR ALL!!!

What's Pedro counting down to?

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 08:22 PM)
3000 Ks. Not the achievement it used to be but still an achievement.

3000 Ks has been done 12 fewer times than 3000 hits so it's still far and away the less frequently achieved of the 2 milestones.

Two things: another milestone Thome's after. Kind of interesting.

2000 strikeouts – Jim Thome - If Thome is healthy all year, he will not be capable of avoiding becoming the fourth player ever to strike out 2,000 times as he is only 92 away, and he has never struck out less than 139 times in a full season. At 35, Thome has an excellent chance of becoming the all time leader in strikeouts, surpassing Reggie Jackson’s 2,597.

As far as Pedro + 3000 K,

Pedro needs two strikeouts to become the 15th player ever to do what had only been done by Bob Gibson and Walter Johnson as of 1980.

It's become less than it was. I still look forward to the day when Pedro does it, I love Pedro, but 3000 Ks just aren't what they used to be.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 08:35 PM)
Two things: another milestone Thome's after. Kind of interesting.

As far as Pedro + 3000 K,

It's become less than it was. I still look forward to the day when Pedro does it, I love Pedro, but 3000 Ks just aren't what they used to be.

Why? Every pitcher with 3000+ Ks is a hall of famer (except Bert Blyleven) and you have to be insanely dominant for a good stretch of time in order to achieve it.

I'm more impressed with 3000 Ks than I am with 3000 hits or 500 HRs.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 08:41 PM)
Why? Every pitcher with 3000+ Ks is a hall of famer (except Bert Blyleven), it hasn't been done in a long ass time and you have to be insanely dominant for a good stretch of time in order to achieve it.

I'm more impressed with 3000 Ks than I am with 3000 hits or 500 HRs.

He's merely saying that pre-1980, only 2 people had ever reached it. Since then, 12 others have (soon to be 13 with Pedro). That's a pretty alarming increase, although I do agree with you, it's still a very impressive plateau.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(Felix @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 08:43 PM)
He's merely saying that pre-1980, only 2 people had ever reached it. Since then, 12 others have (soon to be 13 with Pedro). That's a pretty alarming increase, although I do agree with you, it's still a very impressive plateau.

Ok, honestly I don't really even give a s*** about career milestones so it's hard to say what does and doesn't impress me.

If you look at starters pre 70's strikeouts were never really all that important to them, they were more concerned with just getting hitters out, pitching to contact not to mention the better contact hitters of that time. It has become more of a power game for both the pitchers and the hitters. Considering how hard it is to sustain any sort of success as a pitcher in this pro-hitter era, it's pretty impressive when a pitcher can achieve any milestone.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 08:44 PM)
I never said it was unimpressive. Felix has got what I'm saying.

Yeah I got it, I'm doing a few things at once here so I'm not really thinking all that much about what I'm reading.