33 Dead After Virginia Tech University Shooting

Controlled Chaos

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 09:02 PM)
Now imagine what would happen if he chained the doors like in this case.

yeah...chaos. this is real scary. If I were to die from outside forces i'd like to at least know that it was because of a choice i made to put myself in danger, not going to class or sitting in my dorm room. This is real scary, in that sense. Even in a car there is that sense, but sitting in class, despite the times you wish you were dead than listen to the lecture.

QUOTE(bmags @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 04:07 PM)
yeah...chaos. this is real scary. If I were to die from outside forces i'd like to at least know that it was because of a choice i made to put myself in danger, not going to class or sitting in my dorm room. This is real scary, in that sense. Even in a car there is that sense, but sitting in class, despite the times you wish you were dead than listen to the lecture.

I would like to think that if I was in this situation, that I would have tried to attack the guy who was shooting. Most likely I would have tried to run and got shot though.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 09:08 PM)
I would like to think that if I was in this situation, that I would have tried to attack the guy who was shooting. Most likely I would have tried to run and got shot though.

i've been thinking the same thing. I'd just imagine instinct would take over, perhaps cover up someone more vulnerable or someone I cared about, or hell, I could just freeze up. I have no idea.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 04:06 PM)
You know those "rape" kiosks where people can alert the authorities if there is something threatening as they walk home late at night. Why cant they install something like that across the campus and intercoms in the class rooms like a giant fire alarm.

I'm sure the issue (if it were ever talked about before) is the cost of installing a campus wide alert system.

After this shooting, maybe campuses will rethink that.

At my college, those rape beckons you talk about have been available for atleast twenty years. Then, and even further back, no one envisioned something such as this happening.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 09:06 PM)
the total is up to 33.

You know those "rape" kiosks where people can alert the authorities if there is something threatening as they walk home late at night. Why cant they install something like that across the campus and intercoms in the class rooms like a giant fire alarm.

This is the best idea I've heard yet. The easiest thing to fix would be communication, to keep further students from entering the danger at the very least. Have a way to alert all RAs and security, and like you said with an intercom

QUOTE(bmags @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 04:11 PM)
This is the best idea I've heard yet. The easiest thing to fix would be communication, to keep further students from entering the danger at the very least. Have a way to alert all RAs and security, and like you said with an intercom

It would still be very, very difficult. It would be like trying to shut down a city of 30,000 people. I can't imagine how they'd even attempt to accomplish this here at U of I.

Edited by StrangeSox

So now the report is that in the dorm there were two victims, both in the same room. This looks to be a pre-meditated attack on these two students IMO.

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 04:12 PM)
It would still be very, very difficult. It would be like trying to shut down a city of 30,000 people. I can't imagine how they'd even attempt to accomplish this here at U of I.

Something along the lines of a tornado warning. Loud, obnoxious, and widespread.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 04:14 PM)
So now the report is that in the dorm there were two victims, both in the same room. This looks to be a pre-meditated attack on these two students IMO.

Something along the lines of a tornado warning. Loud, obnoxious, and widespread.

That's just going to get people inside the nearest building, though. Maybe even send them running into the building with the shooter. No information could be conveyed that way.

I dunno, turning those emergency boxes into intercoms seems like the best idea so far.

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 09:12 PM)

telling people to stay away from an area with a crazy shooter shouldn't be that hard.

i have to say, U of I's got a one up in the dorms, you guys have so many places you need to swipe your key card and isn't it 24/7? At missouri its only after 11 pm, and after the first door you are in.

QUOTE(bmags @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 04:17 PM)
telling people to stay away from an area with a crazy shooter shouldn't be that hard.

i have to say, U of I's got a one up in the dorms, you guys have so many places you need to swipe your key card and isn't it 24/7? At missouri its only after 11 pm, and after the first door you are in.

Heres the thing. I had the swipe cards in my dorm as well. But all you need is someone to hold the door for you and thats it. Even in my condo there are people who will let anyone in who looks like they know where they are going.

QUOTE(bmags @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 04:17 PM)

Yeah, I think it is. I never lived in campus dorms and haven't been in a dorm in two years, though.

That would solve the problem in the dorm, but not in the classrooms and lecture halls. Assuming he knew his target's schedule, he could have just waited and got them in class. Or wait until they're in the dining area, no cards needed there and plenty of targets.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 09:19 PM)
Heres the thing. I had the swipe cards in my dorm as well. But all you need is someone to hold the door for you and thats it. Even in my condo there are people who will let anyone in who looks like they know where they are going.

true, of course the one time i was locked out at 2 am there was no one there and i had to sleep on the steps.

so the school said they didn't lock campus down because they thought the suspect fled. "better safe than sorry"

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 03:08 PM)

I'm surprised a post like this hasn't been made yet.

Perhaps I'm just strange, but because of the tragic events of 9/11, regardless of where I am, the thought of the worst possible outcome comes to my mind. For instance, I step foot on an airplane and I wonder just how nobody went after the terrorists when they were being threatened by box cutters.

Hindsight, as always, is 20/20 but I have to think that if I am in this classroom and likely to be shot, I'm doing whatever I can to get that gun out of his hand by throwing my backpack, throwing a desk, a book, a pencil, etc.

This post has been edited by the Soxtalk staff to remove objectionable material. Soxtalk encourages a free discussion between its members, but does not allow personal attacks, threats, graphic sexual material, nudity, or any other materials judged offensive by the Administrators and Moderators. Thank you.

My deepest sympathies, Hokies.

:angry:

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(bmags @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 04:11 PM)

The harsh reality is, you can't expect an advanced system. Atleast on large campuses such as UIUC. There's the dark side here of cost effectiveness.

I compare it to the airline industry. There are inherent flaws and complications with most airplanes which could be replaced, but why do that if not many planes are crashing? You know how many people died aboard a commercial flight in America last year? Zero. Every airline industry figures its cheaper to pay out cash settlements to survivors and their families than repair their fleets. This is obviously different from a school, but they may not have the money available. And since so few die in schools as the result of shootings every year, it may not be the top priority.

When a college is looking at their upcoming budget, and the choices are between a security system costing millions to address an issue which rarely happens, or repairing certain amenities within the campus, the former probably isn't going to win.

It'll really depend upon external pressure from students, faculty, alumni, the city, etc.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 04:34 PM)
All you college kids please be safe......i would be frightened to sleep in a dorm anywhere tonight.

I guess I've been nieve about living in the dorms and never locking my door, that should probably change tonight and for the remaining few weeks left of school.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 04:41 PM)
I guess I've been nieve about living in the dorms and never locking my door, that should probably change tonight and for the remaining few weeks left of school.

No kidding. Good luck to anyone on campus who thinks I'm holding the door to my dorm open to let them in if I don't know them.