33 Dead After Virginia Tech University Shooting

Controlled Chaos

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 01:00 PM)
VA Tech has a ton of explaining to do...Lock the s*** down and keep your students safe....they were moving targets for a f***in whacko.

Come on man, it is way too early for this kind of speculation. We literally have no idea exactly what happened.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 01:03 PM)
Come on man, it is way too early for this kind of speculation. We literally have no idea exactly what happened.

if someon is shot on a college campus.....they should cancel school for the entire day. The shootings were 2 hours apart.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 01:03 PM)

We know that someone was shot in the dorms. Two hours later, more were shot across campus in classrooms while classes were going on.

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 12:54 PM)
Why wouldn't the campus have been completely locked down and all classes canceled after the first one?

I think they didnt assess the situation correctly at first, they didnt know where the shooter was. Apparently the kid just walked across the campus and opened fire again. I cant believe it.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 02:14 PM)
Anyone hear any speculation on a motive for this?

Someone on MSNBC speculated revenge against a professor or an ex-girlfriend

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 02:17 PM)
Two speculations have been a girlfriend or a dispute with a professor.

I'm not going to pay much attention to any theories on that until much later.

There's almost nothing. I've been trying to find stuff on message boards. From the WaPo's story comment section (wading through all the tiresome gun control arguments -- please, don't let these start here):

I am a student here at VT and the whole situation is mind blowing. I did not have class until 11:15 so I was sleeping and I woke up to my father calling me panicked asking me if I was okay. I had no idea what had occurred. I checked my email and I read all the emails the university had sent out which was followed by sirens left and right. I got word from a friend of mine who actually lives in West AJ the site of the first shooting and apparently it had to do with a couple. This is unconfirmed but apparently the boyfriend shot his girlfriend and when the RA Resident Advisor came to see what happened, the young man shot the RA as well. There has also been reports that startled students hoping to escape jumped out of windows after hearing gun shots.

By tiggerrr100 | Apr 16, 2007 2:00:24 PM | Request Removal

Lord knows if this has even a kernel of truth. Doesn't really explain the shootings in the classroom, though.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 01:20 PM)
If I could be both speculative and racist at the same time:

The gunman was said to be asian, he shot up an engineering building...There is a decent chance he was a student in that dept.

MSNBC just took it a step further and listed all of the cases of asians going on shooting sprees...

Confirmed 31 dead :(

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 02:18 PM)
I hope its not as simple as that.

What explanation could make it any better? This is a horror I can't even grasp yet. I've been away from my desk all day and logged on to see this thread and I'm in disbelief.

:crying :crying

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 01:32 PM)
What explanation could make it any better? This is a horror I can't even grasp yet. I've been away from my desk all day and logged on to see this thread and I'm in disbelief.

:crying :crying

Nothing, but I just cant fathom killing someone over bullying, breaking up with a girl, getting a bad grade. those are such simple things that as a human and a man, you should be able to deal with.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 11:34 AM)
Nothing, but I just cant fathom killing someone over bullying, breaking up with a girl, getting a bad grade. those are such simple things that as a human and a man, you should be able to deal with.

I think it's way too early to jump to conclusions in a matter like this. Just look at Columbine...right afterwards, everyone tried to blame things like Marilyn Manson or the NRA, and it turns out that upon further examination, one of the 2 kids involved was quite literally a psychopathic killer. Eventually there will be an investigation, and there will always be more to it than just some bad event. The bad event may have set the person off...but no one goes and decides to start shooting people because they were bullied or because they didn't like a professor.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 01:38 PM)
I think it's way too early to jump to conclusions in a matter like this. Just look at Columbine...right afterwards, everyone tried to blame things like Marilyn Manson or the NRA, and it turns out that upon further examination, one of the 2 kids involved was quite literally a psychopathic killer. Eventually there will be an investigation, and there will always be more to it than just some bad event. The bad event may have set the person off...but no one goes and decides to start shooting people because they were bullied or because they didn't like a professor.

The shocking part of this story is the ridiculous accuracy of this gunman. The guy was able to pick off so many people at such a high rate.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 02:40 PM)
The shocking part of this story is the ridiculous accuracy of this gunman. The guy was able to pick off so many people at such a high rate.

With two handguns reportedly, correct?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 01:40 PM)

I don't know how hard it would be to hit several students in each classroom who are just sitting in their desks and not very mobile.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 01:40 PM)

I don't know how hard it would be to hit several students in each classroom who are just sitting in their desks and not very mobile.