Erstad/Anderson MEGAThread

WhiteSoxfan1986

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Apr 25, 2007 -> 07:33 AM)
Just watching Anderson play CF last night made me wish Erstad was out there. Why Won't Erstad put up a .700 OPS? When he has healthy full seasons has always posted that or came very very close to doing so. Anderson has never done that.

really? realllllllllllllllllly? He hasn't had a .700 OPS after 1 season? realllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly?

BA, for once in your life you have a chance to prove all the doubters wrong and come up with a big hit.

geez, 3-1 85 MPH cockshot and you swing and miss? dude needs to get his eyes checked or something, seriously. i have never seen some one swing and miss so much on absolute cookies. hell put me in there i can take that 85 mph "heater" from todd jones and hit a line drive back up the middle.

im sick of the same old excuses with this guy at the plate, its just brutal

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE

QUOTE(JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Apr 25, 2007 -> 11:20 PM)
BA, for once i your life you have a chance to prove all the doubters wrong and come up with a big hit.

geez, 3-1 85 MPH cockshot and you swing and miss? dude needs to get his eyes checked or something, seriously. i have never seen some one swing and miss so much on absolute cookies. hell put me in there i can take that 85 mph "heater" from todd jones and hit a line drive back up the middle.

It was awful, just awful.

At the same time, you know he has the talent to hit that. Whatever anyone says about the minors, you don't progress through them if you can't hit pitches like that. I don't know if it's timing, seeing the ball, mechanics, or what, but hopefully someone on the coaching staff can figure it out. We know he can play A ball, what we want to find out is if he's a AAAA player or a big leaguer.

QUOTE(JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Apr 25, 2007 -> 10:24 PM)
BA, for once in your life you have a chance to prove all the doubters wrong and come up with a big hit.

im sick of the same old excuses with this guy at the plate, its just brutal

That was the whole damn offense tonight, not just BA.

it's pretty much official at this point that BA will never be a full timer in Chgo. Just doesn't have the ability to layoff junk, or hit an array of pitches, let alone the vaunted "down-the-middle-at-85mph" ball.

And he's not progressed at all, still weak in the same exact areas. Maybe with another club somewhere where the pressure will be different, but on this team he's a marked guy and that's just too hard to come out of when everyone solidly expects you to fail.....

QUOTE(stretchstretch @ Apr 25, 2007 -> 11:12 PM)
it's pretty much official at this point that BA will never be a full timer in Chgo. Just doesn't have the ability to layoff junk, or hit an array of pitches, let alone the vaunted "down-the-middle-at-85mph" ball.

And he's not progressed at all, still weak in the same exact areas. Maybe with another club somewhere where the pressure will be different, but on this team he's a marked guy and that's just too hard to come out of when everyone solidly expects you to fail.....

I'll attempt to channel Hawk with this:

hawk-harrelson-sox.jpg

"You show me a major league ballplayer capable of hitting four/five hanging sliders or several straight 85 mph fastballs and I'll show you a future hall of famer."

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Apr 25, 2007 -> 11:40 PM)
Again, if this was all Anderson could do, he never would have made it out of A ball.

We want to know what Anderson can do when he's right. I'm all in favor of sending Anderson to AAA, where he can get his abs. But dumping him now would be just foolish.

You're absolutely right. He's a former 1st round pick who is cheap and under Sox control for years. It may be that he'll never hit, but sticking him in AAA should at least allow him to recoup some trade value. There's no cost to sticking him in AAA and seeing what happens.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Apr 26, 2007 -> 12:33 AM)
You're absolutely right. He's a former 1st round pick who is cheap and under Sox control for years. It may be that he'll never hit, but sticking him in AAA should at least allow him to recoup some trade value. There's no cost to sticking him in AAA and seeing what happens.

Ozzie loses his waterboy...that may be cost enough.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Apr 26, 2007 -> 01:33 AM)

Not that that's what I said, but anyway...

anderson has now struck out an astounding 26.2% of his ABs

just to give that some perspective, slammin sammy has struck out 26.1% of his ABs in his career

this goes back to the point where i honestly do think there is something wrong with Ba's depth pereception or physically something wrong there, unless he develops into some kind of power threat there is no way he should be striking out more than once every four ABs thats pitiful

QUOTE(JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Apr 26, 2007 -> 07:36 AM)
anderson has now struck out an astounding 26.2% of his ABs

just to give that some perspective, slammin sammy has struck out 26.1% of his ABs in his career

this goes back to the point where i honestly do think there is something wrong with Ba's depth pereception or physically something wrong there, unless he develops into some kind of power threat there is no way he should be striking out more than once every four ABs thats pitiful

Anderson's not a slap hitter, and other cfs with moderate power have similar strikeout rates. Mike Cameron strikes out 1 in 4 abs, Torii Hunter about 1 in 5. It's not by itself very important.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Apr 26, 2007 -> 08:49 AM)
Anderson's not a slap hitter, and other cfs with moderate power have similar strikeout rates. Mike Cameron strikes out 1 in 4 abs, Torii Hunter about 1 in 5. It's not by itself very important.

That would be fine, if Anderson could be counted on for 24-30 homers per season.

QUOTE(Craig Grebeck @ Apr 26, 2007 -> 09:06 AM)
Anderson could develop that kind of power with adequate playing time.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/battin...nd=a&pos=cf

The only players who ARE even in the remote vicinity of not being power hitters yet striking out a ton are Granderson and Figgins (once every six at-bats).

Sizemore strikes out a lot, but he's producing tons of extra bases AND stolen bases.

Figgins and Granderson at least have the ability to steal a base. Anderson hasn't hit for power or learned how to steal, and he's made errors in two of the last three games.

The White Sox would be ELATED if he could just replicate Mike Cameron's career.

Lower on the list, you have Freel, Taveras and DeJesus, but they're also stolen base threats (to some extent at least).

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE(Craig Grebeck @ Apr 26, 2007 -> 09:20 AM)
Striking out is the same as grounding out. Outs=bad---whether or not you ground out a lot or strike out a lot the end result is the same.

Umm...I'm sure with a runner on 3rd with less than two outs or a runner on 2nd with no outs, I would rather have the ball put in play.

Striking out once every four at-bats puts ZERO pressure on the defense.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Apr 26, 2007 -> 12:52 AM)
Not that that's what I said, but anyway...

I was agreeing with

I'm all in favor of sending Anderson to AAA, where he can get his abs
And I was also agreeing that trading him or waiving him right now would be foolish -- it would be selling low. I thought that was what you were saying... Edited by hitlesswonder

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 26, 2007 -> 09:23 AM)
Umm...I'm sure with a runner on 3rd with less than two outs or a runner on 2nd with no outs, I would rather have the ball put in play.

Striking out once every four at-bats puts ZERO pressure on the defense.

If a guy has ZERO power, ZERO discipline, and ZERO line drive ability then you have to reexamine why he's playing. His ability to "put pressure on the defense" with groundouts to the right side is not an adequate reason. Anderson is not perfect, but he could provide the things Erstad doesn't excel at (if he develops like he has in the minors).

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 26, 2007 -> 10:04 AM)
That would be fine, if Anderson could be counted on for 24-30 homers per season.

It doesn't have to be that many. He could well be a 20-25 hr player, which is roughly what Granderson, Cameron, and Hunter are.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Apr 26, 2007 -> 10:27 AM)
I was agreeing with And I was also agreeing that trading him or waiving him right now would be foolish -- it would be selling low. I thought that was what you were saying...

I'm just uncomfortable with saying, "sticking him in AAA should at least allow him to recoup some trade value." I'm one of the dwindling few that still hope that BA is our future cf.

QUOTE(Craig Grebeck @ Apr 26, 2007 -> 09:50 AM)
If a guy has ZERO power, ZERO discipline, and ZERO line drive ability then you have to reexamine why he's playing. His ability to "put pressure on the defense" with groundouts to the right side is not an adequate reason. Anderson is not perfect, but he could provide the things Erstad doesn't excel at (if he develops like he has in the minors).

Erstad has three late-inning tieing or go-ahead RBI's in less than a week.

Anderson might not have that in a single year.