And thats a White Sox loser...

BearSox

Greg Walker with more fine quoteable material after the game.

"The numbers on the back of the card dont lie.'

Sure Greg, players cant have good and bad seasons. They just hit the same year after year without a hiccup, so I guess you dont have to do your job. Can we get someone else that can assist a hitter, when they start to get mechanical problems. This throw your hands up and just pray they snap back into mode doesnt seem to work.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Apr 22, 2007 -> 04:11 PM)
You would of loved our O pre 2005 then. It was near the league lead in homers, runs scored and no playoffs.

Again the tale of 2 halves. Pre-allstar we scored 520 runs good for first in baseball. That was all world there. We had a team .288BA.

In the 2nd half we were scored only 328 runs. Which was behind the Royals.

But again chicks dig the long ball. If you are so for this approach, lets bring back Jose Valentin, maybe we can dig Rob Deer out of retirement. And go with a team hitting .240-.250 and hitting 200 homers and we will win about 75 games this year.

If you want to construct a team of line drive hitters that's one thing, but to expect this Sox team to become that is folly. That's not they way they were built.

By the way off the top of my head, the Sox have faced Sabathia twice, Santanna, Harden, Verlander Millwood, and Robertson so far this season. That's pretty tough and that they are where they are so far is a pretty good sign, imo.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 22, 2007 -> 01:53 PM)
After the first swing by Thames, he should have not seen another fastball.

The thing is, the Tigers are team that can pretty much only hit fastballs....its shocking that teams continue to come in and throw that many fastballs to some of there hitters (Monroe/Thames especially who are dead pull all the time, just throw the stuff outside and let them get themselves out).

QUOTE(Wealz @ Apr 22, 2007 -> 05:27 PM)
If you want to construct a team of line drive hitters that's one thing, but to expect this Sox team to become that is folly. That's not they way they were built.

By the way off the top of my head, the Sox have faced Sabathia twice, Santanna, Harden, Verlander Millwood, and Robertson so far this season. That's pretty tough and that they are where they are so far is a pretty good sign, imo.

Its not having a team of line drive hitters. It called balance. You can have a few thumpers. But you need a tablesetter someone who can get on base for your leadoff guy. Your second guy should be a contact guy who can hit the ball to right. Your 3-4-5 guys need power. Your 6-7-8 guys should be line drive doubles types. And your 9 guy should be similiar to your leadoff guy.

Currently we are 3-8 home run guys. Guys who lift and pull and pray.

QUOTE(chisox72 @ Apr 22, 2007 -> 04:11 PM)
We aren't talking about last year, now are we??

They also won the division, didn't they?

Are you suggesting that the Sox would have won the division if only they scored LESS runs than the Twins last year?

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 22, 2007 -> 05:29 PM)
The thing is, the Tigers are team that can pretty much only hit fastballs....its shocking that teams continue to come in and throw that many fastballs to some of there hitters (Monroe/Thames especially who are dead pull all the time, just throw the stuff outside and let them get themselves out).

Monroe's bat is slider speed. You can beat him with velocity.

Thames is a pull only home run hitter like a lot of our guys. You sit low and away and he is out a lot of the time. You challenge him over the plate and he will rock you.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Apr 22, 2007 -> 05:30 PM)
Its not having a team of line drive hitters. It called balance. You can have a few thumpers. But you need a tablesetter someone who can get on base for your leadoff guy. Your second guy should be a contact guy who can hit the ball to right. Your 3-4-5 guys need power. Your 6-7-8 guys should be line drive doubles types. And your 9 guy should be similiar to your leadoff guy.

Currently we are 3-8 home run guys. Guys who lift and pull and pray.

Why are you whining so much? The first 2 games we scored runs without relying solely on the longball and we scored enough runs today to win too. When you have a 2 run lead into the 9th you should win, we lost because of Aardsma not because of our offense. After facing a 3-0 deficit to begin the game we were in position to win, so stop :crying

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Apr 22, 2007 -> 05:34 PM)
Why are you whining so much? The first 2 games we scored runs without relying solely on the longball and we scored enough runs today to win too. When you have a 2 run lead into the 9th you should win, we lost because of Aardsma not because of our offense. After facing a 3-0 deficit to begin the game we were in position to win, so stop :crying

Whatever, you are right. Our offense is fine. Our offense is fine. The last in baseball in offense is just a mirage and has nothing to do with any of our losses this year. If only our pitchers would completely shut down every team we could win. Its on the pitching and not the baseball team of runners left on base today. That insurance run in the 9th would of softened the bullpen, and made their job too easy. Whatever

6b4c10d7.gif

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 22, 2007 -> 04:38 PM)
I see a couple of you mention Anderson. What the heck did he do in the game that was real bad?

He dogged it going after a single toward the line in left and made his usual terrible throw to second that turned a single into a double.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Apr 22, 2007 -> 05:39 PM)
Whatever, you are right. Our offense is fine. Our offense is fine. The last in baseball in offense is just a mirage and has nothing to do with any of our losses this year. If only our pitchers would completely shut down every team we could win. Its on the pitching and not the baseball team of runners left on base today. That insurance run in the 9th would of softened the bullpen, and made their job too easy. Whatever

It isnt perfect, but what team is perfect? the fact is we scored an avg. over of 5 runs these past 5 games. So, obviously the offense is coming around. Plus it hast even been a whole month of baseball so why you worrying so much. I mean yes Konerko and Dye 2 of our studs last year have struggled greatly but how about Manny, Howard, Pujols, Sheffield, etc...... You just got to be a little patient and not over-react. We also just won a series vs one of the better teams in the league and were in position to sweep thanks to our offense.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 22, 2007 -> 05:38 PM)
I see a couple of you mention Anderson. What the heck did he do in the game that was real bad?

Its hard for him to get into a rhythm right now at the plate. I am sure his head is a bit messed up, and probably he puts a ton of pressure on himself to produce every AB when he is up there now. To make his case. The ball that turned into a double was a mistake a lot of people would of made, the swing of the bat was long, it came off the end of the bat. And he broke back, and it fell in. He threw high on the play, and the runner was safe at 2nd. Maybe a good throw is an out. Every mistake this kid makes is maginifed due to the inactivity, and to Ozzies opinion.

I think its better than Tererro is brought up, and Brian can reload and get more ABs in the minors. He is in a no win situation now.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(Wealz @ Apr 22, 2007 -> 04:56 PM)
Wrong.

wrong? lol. I'll use the Twins for example...

They have a collective total of 9 homers, but 168 singles (not counting doubles or triples).

So please tell me how I am wrong when I say there are more triples and doubles and singles then there are home runs?

The offense has issues, Konerko being completely off his rhythm being problem numero uno at this time. Ozzie has botched the CF situation. And we have by far the worst leadoff hitter in baseball.

Despite all of that, we're 9-8 after starting 0-2, we're in the thick of the race, and we just took 2 of 3 from Detroit on the road. In the grand scheme, things are pretty good.

:gosox2:

QUOTE(BearSox @ Apr 22, 2007 -> 06:01 PM)

They have a collective total of 9 homers, but 168 singles (not counting doubles or triples).

So please tell me how I am wrong when I say there are more triples and doubles and singles then there are home runs?

The stat you are looking for is Total Bases.

TB Total bases

Hits + 2B + (3B times 2) + (HR times 3)

Whitesox have a 189 TB, while the twinks have 239.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Apr 22, 2007 -> 06:09 PM)
you guys do realize your precious twins just lost a series to the Royals and scored a whopping 1 run today. No team is perfect offensively and every team is going to have bad nights.

Lets see how we do against the Royals, who have played us tough and have cost us in the past before we talk about the Twinks. The twins and the Tigers last year have made a history of beating bad teams, and playing decent against good teams.

The key to this year is beating teams like the Royals. If we play like we did against the Tigers this weekend against good teams, and roll the bad teams we are gong to the playoffs. If we struggle against bad teams this year, its going to be tough. The royals are a better barometer of how we have progressed. Our killer instinct against bad teams has be poor.

As far as Aardsma today. How he got beat, thats okay to me If you get beat on a fastball or pitching to a hitter. Tip your cap. If you get beat by walking a bunch of people and then giving it up. Then you feel like you got punched in the stomach.

With our pitching we should have the twinks record if not better.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Apr 22, 2007 -> 05:01 PM)

There are more HR's than triples, but maybe you've stumbled upon what's wrong with the Sox offense. Maybe it's not that they are trying to hit homers, maybe they're making outs by way overusing their "triple swing".