Car Discussion

RockRaines

So after having my new car for several months I have decided that its really not fast/sporty enough for my tastes. I have a Lexus SUV, and although its a really nice car, I need something with a little more balls.

My question is:

Does anyone in chicago drive a rear-wheel drive coupe or car, and what are your experiences with our weather? I have only owned SUV's with 4 wheel drive and I am a little apprehensive to move to a rear wheel drive car.

Edited by RockRaines

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to have a Z-28 and it was absolutely terrible in the snow. It was rear wheel drive and had a pretty big V8. Im not sure what kind of car you were looking at but I had problems driving it in the snow but the longer I had it and more I got used to it, it wasnt by any means undriveable just more of an annoyance. I also had a Grand Am GT which was pretty quick, but it was a 6 and front wheel drive and I never had any problems with that in the snow.

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Apr 23, 2007 -> 02:20 PM)
I used to have a Z-28 and it was absolutely terrible in the snow. It was rear wheel drive and had a pretty big V8. Im not sure what kind of car you were looking at but I had problems driving it in the snow but the longer I had it and more I got used to it, it wasnt by any means undriveable just more of an annoyance. I also had a Grand Am GT which was pretty quick, but it was a 6 and front wheel drive and I never had any problems with that in the snow.

I have been looking at the infiniti g35 coupe.

Infiniti_G35_Sport_Coupe.sized.jpg

That Infiniti is a piece of s*** dont buy it. If you want something with nuts, look no further than a 2003-04 Mustang SVT Cobra. 390RWHP stock and modded it sees upwards 0f 6 bills. RWD is not as bad as you would expect, dont hammer it around corners or you'll spin out, anything above 3 inches of snow, its worthless. Bang for your buck the best is a 98-02 Trans Am or Camaro Z28/SS.

QUOTE(Dan @ Apr 23, 2007 -> 03:13 PM)
That Infiniti is a piece of s*** dont buy it. If you want something with nuts, look no further than a 2003-04 Mustang SVT Cobra. 390RWHP stock and modded it sees upwards 0f 6 bills. RWD is not as bad as you would expect, dont hammer it around corners or you'll spin out, anything above 3 inches of snow, its worthless. Bang for your buck the best is a 98-02 Trans Am or Camaro Z28/SS.

No offense, but im not looking for the horrendous build quality of an american made muscle car. As evident by my current car, i dont want to be running 9's on the track.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 23, 2007 -> 03:15 PM)
No offense, but im not looking for the horrendous build quality of an american made muscle car. As evident by my current car, i dont want to be running 9's on the track.

Rock, I like the choice of car. I would suggest that or the 350Z if you are looking for a sports car with kick that won't break down ala Mustang/Camaro/TA. I drive an RSX now and would gladly trade it in for either the Z or G35.

Edit: Also not bad that the G is 290 HP stock.

Edited by SoxFanForever

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 23, 2007 -> 02:40 PM)
I have been looking at the infiniti g35 coupe.

Infiniti_G35_Sport_Coupe.sized.jpg

My dad has a G35. You wont have any problems with that car. Theyre really nice and they handle well. As long as you have driven in that kind of weather before you shouldnt have any problems.

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Apr 23, 2007 -> 03:33 PM)
Rock, I like the choice of car. I would suggest that or the 350Z if you are looking for a sports car with kick that won't break down ala Mustang/Camaro/TA. I drive an RSX now and would gladly trade it in for either the Z or G35.

Ive wanted a 350Z for a while. Right now I have a 6 cylinder Accord Coupe and i really like it, but hen Im done with it I am gonna take a real long look at the Z. I love that burnt orange color.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 23, 2007 -> 03:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you talking about a 1/4 mile?

http://www.albeedigital.com/supercoupe/art.../0-60times.html

My rear-wheeled american coupe goes 0-60 in about 4.8 seconds, but I don't stand a chance in wet weather. I didn't even try driving it in an inch of snow.

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Apr 23, 2007 -> 03:33 PM)

Edit: Also not bad that the G is 290 HP stock.

Cool. Im apprehensive about leaving the awesome value of my lexus, and of course the gadgets, but as far as jap cars go, im in love with the G

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 23, 2007 -> 04:07 PM)
Cool. Im apprehensive about leaving the awesome value of my lexus, and of course the gadgets, but as far as jap cars go, im in love with the G

If you love Lexus you could always go with an IS. Otherwise, I would suggest the G. Beautiful car, lots of gadgets and very quick. Be sure to get Navi with it :headbang

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Apr 23, 2007 -> 04:24 PM)
If you love Lexus you could always go with an IS. Otherwise, I would suggest the G. Beautiful car, lots of gadgets and very quick. Be sure to get Navi with it :headbang

Oh yeah, my car now is fully loaded and I couldnt have it any way. I love the IS, but if im going to get a car, its gotta be a coupe. SOmething about 4-doors makes me cringe. Im just nervous of the snow.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 23, 2007 -> 04:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh yeah, my car now is fully loaded and I couldnt have it any way. I love the IS, but if im going to get a car, its gotta be a coupe. SOmething about 4-doors makes me cringe. Im just nervous of the snow.

With salt, that nasty blck snow and lack of controll, I can't see any reason to drive a coupe in the snow. If you get something like that make sure you have something else to drive for the other 4-6 months of the year.

If you want a sporty coupe what will blow you away, I'd seriously consider a maserati cambiocorsa or coupe GT.

They are four-hundred horse power and they fly. Maserati recesses the engine inside the hood to balance the weight among the four wheels... so the thing has unbelievable handling. You'll never have so much fun changing lanes.

I'd try Lake Forest Sports cars. Two guys from my old law firm bought them there... and one bought an Aston (nice, but no maserati). Even if you they don't have the you want in stock (which is somewhat common) they can arrange for one. Its not like they make 10 million of these things... They are rare... and even fewer of them wind up in America.

I know everyone thinks these things are expensive, and they are... but you can find a used one (10-20k miles) for 50-60k. In my opinion, thats not too bad considering the value you get in return.

I, unfortunately, do not have one. I do have the occasional joy of driving the ones owned by my colleagues. But someday, when I make partner... I'm getting a Quattroporte. Its a thing of beauty

Having driven a couple of sports cars in Chicago weather...

I can not fathom why anyone would actually want to drive a rear wheel drive sports car around Chicago from November through April.

If you want any power at all, then at least in my experience, the vehicle is not going to be controllable in the type of weather Chicago gets in the winter. It just won't be.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Apr 23, 2007 -> 05:01 PM)
With salt, that nasty blck snow and lack of controll, I can't see any reason to drive a coupe in the snow. If you get something like that make sure you have something else to drive for the other 4-6 months of the year.

I dont, but I also drive about maybe 300 miles a month. I walk or take the bus to and from work, the only time I drive is for pleasure, errands or small trips. I live right in the city.

So far, only one guy with a rear wheel drive car?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 23, 2007 -> 05:54 PM)
Having driven a couple of sports cars in Chicago weather...

I can not fathom why anyone would actually want to drive a rear wheel drive sports car around Chicago from November through April.

If you want any power at all, then at least in my experience, the vehicle is not going to be controllable in the type of weather Chicago gets in the winter. It just won't be.

A good set of snow tires and driver that knows how RWD cars respond should have no problem at all.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 23, 2007 -> 06:12 PM)
So far, only one guy with a rear wheel drive car?

I've got a Porsche 944. It has "summer only" tires on it, so I haven't driven it much in the snow, but it's been ok. I've had it since I was 16 and haven't had any incidents. I'm buying a Pontiac GTO soon (400HP, RWD). There's plenty of people on the GTO forums that daily-drive their GTO's year round in Chicago-type weather. My girlfriend has a 98 Camaro that she's driven from Woodridge to Chicago year round for several years now without incident. My roommate has an 04 Mustang. No problems, even with the massive amounts of snow this year. Before that, he had a RWD S10 and never had any problems.

My #1 recommendation is a good set of snow tires and summer tires on different rims that you can swap out. All-seasons cover everything but are good at nothing. Take it easy on the throttle and be aware that getting on the gas hard will result in the rear end stepping out (as opposed to the front end washing out, as in a FWD car).

Edited by StrangeSox

A car like a G35 will be fine in the winter. The cars that are terrible are more Camaro/Mustang types. Like some others have said you can get a set of tires that helps, which I did on my Camaro but if you have a feel for the car you will be ok in the snow, as long as its nothing insane like a blizzard. Like I said, my dad currently has a G35 and he had it last winter and he never had any problems. You can also put weights in your trunk and that helps mildly.

I'll add a question of my own. How do low profile tires drive in the snow on a FWD car?

I am also looking for another car these days and like any other college student I am on a tight budget.

I am looking at a Civic, Accord, and an Eclipse. Any other suggestions or comments on the cars I listed?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 23, 2007 -> 02:14 PM)
So after having my new car for several months I have decided that its really not fast/sporty enough for my tastes. I have a Lexus SUV, and although its a really nice car, I need something with a little more balls.

My question is:

Does anyone in chicago drive a rear-wheel drive coupe or car, and what are your experiences with our weather? I have only owned SUV's with 4 wheel drive and I am a little apprehensive to move to a rear wheel drive car.

I have a friend who has a Mustang and had a Thunderbird both RWD and you really have to learn how to drive it in the snow and its tendencies.

His Mustang has traction control which makes things a lot easier so I think once you get used to it along with the traction control it shouldn't be too bad.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 23, 2007 -> 07:56 PM)
Yeah, I think the G35 has traction control. And like I said, even though I love AWD, I really only used it maybe 4-8 days this winter.

Any decent sport or GT-type coupe will come with traction control these days.

Just keep a head on your shoulders and drive safe and it shouldn't be a problem in most cases. If we get a huge blizzard, then you might not be able to get around while a big AWD SUV could.

QUOTE(Whitewashed in @ Apr 23, 2007 -> 07:37 PM)
I'll add a question of my own. How do low profile tires drive in the snow on a FWD car?

I am also looking for another car these days and like any other college student I am on a tight budget.

I am looking at a Civic, Accord, and an Eclipse. Any other suggestions or comments on the cars I listed?

I have a friend who has a Mustang and had a Thunderbird both RWD and you really have to learn how to drive it in the snow and its tendencies.

His Mustang has traction control which makes things a lot easier so I think once you get used to it along with the traction control it shouldn't be too bad.

I would go for the Honda if I were you. If you are looking at the older Eclipse that might be alright. Some decent ones with AWD and Turbo. However, I have heard nothing but bad things about the newer Eclipses. Also, how much money do you want to spend on a car which the producing company almost went under a year ago?

Civic and the Accord are both nice cars. I think the V6 Accord coupe is pretty slick. Also the Civic SI is a pretty economical car with some guts.

Edited by SoxFanForever

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 23, 2007 -> 05:56 PM)
Yeah, I think the G35 has traction control. And like I said, even though I love AWD, I really only used it maybe 4-8 days this winter.

Do they not have AWD on the G35 coupes? I know a year or two back I was looking at the G35 4 door (one of my dads clients owns a dealership and they had some sick lease deals) and I remember they had AWD versions that drove fantastic (this was the 4 door, but I'd imagine if they had it on the 4 they'd have it on the 2).

I also know someone that had the G35 and just upgraded to a new 5 series BMW. They like the BMW more (but its also a bit more costly) but had absolutely no trouble with the G35 (its a real good car) and the coupe version of it is absolutely beautiful (one of the nicest looking cars on the road, imo).

I can't comment on the snow, but if they make the coupe in AWD I'm pretty sure it would handle real good. Another car that can handle fantastically in the snow is the Audi with the Quattro. One of my friends that lives up in NoCal in the mountains has that and I've taken it out a couple times in the snow and it has excellent traction/control.