Car Discussion

RockRaines

G35's can be had in AWD.

Just remember, AWD helps you maintain traction under power, but not necessarily while turning and especially not while braking. I see plenty of people flying around way faster than they should be in their AWD cars in the winter because they think AWD makes them invincible.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Apr 23, 2007 -> 09:25 PM)
G35's can be had in AWD.

Just remember, AWD helps you maintain traction under power, but not necessarily while turning and especially not while braking. I see plenty of people flying around way faster than they should be in their AWD cars in the winter because they think AWD makes them invincible.

Oh ya, no doubt...thats just people being idiots.

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Apr 23, 2007 -> 09:07 PM)
I would go for the Honda if I were you. If you are looking at the older Eclipse that might be alright. Some decent ones with AWD and Turbo. However, I have heard nothing but bad things about the newer Eclipses. Also, how much money do you want to spend on a car which the producing company almost went under a year ago?

Civic and the Accord are both nice cars. I think the V6 Accord coupe is pretty slick. Also the Civic SI is a pretty economical car with some guts.

I like the Eclipse because it's got a little power under the hood while the Civic is economical and has less HP, but I have heard the Civic is a better car.

For more HP I know exhaust is a place to start. What are some of the little things that can give you a few more HP?

QUOTE(Whitewashed in @ Apr 24, 2007 -> 12:18 AM)
I like the Eclipse because it's got a little power under the hood while the Civic is economical and has less HP, but I have heard the Civic is a better car.

For more HP I know exhaust is a place to start. What are some of the little things that can give you a few more HP?

My dad has a 3rd gen Eclipse (2003) and that car is an absolute turd. I haven't heard much about the latest (2006 MOY, I think) Eclipses. The older ones (mid-late 90's) are decent and can be had for a reasonable price. You're going to have to watch to try to avoid getting one someone beat on for the last 50k miles.

As far as modifications go, it depends a lot on the car. Some cars have terribly restrictive exhausts from the factory -- others have systems that were designed reasonably well. Same for just about any other component. Your best bet would be to find a good enthusiast forum for the car similar to SoxTalk and see what other people have to say. Nothing wrong with letting other people spend their money first to figure out what works and what doesn't!

The best way to go faster is to reduce weight! It improves not only acceleration, but also cornering, braking, and fuel efficiency.

As for your earlier question regarding low-profile tires and snow, here's my thoughts (take with a grain of salt, I'm no tire expert):

The size of the sidewalls shouldn't matter too much. What's really going to matter is the tire width (narrower is better for snow), tread patterns, and the compounds used. Aside from allowing people to shove huge wheels on cars, low profile tires help performance because the shorter sidewall is stiffer so there's less compliance in the tire. I don't think this will effect your traction in the snow.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Apr 24, 2007 -> 12:27 AM)
My dad has a 3rd gen Eclipse (2003) and that car is an absolute turd. I haven't heard much about the latest (2006 MOY, I think) Eclipses. The older ones (mid-late 90's) are decent and can be had for a reasonable price. You're going to have to watch to try to avoid getting one someone beat on for the last 50k miles.

As far as modifications go, it depends a lot on the car. Some cars have terribly restrictive exhausts from the factory -- others have systems that were designed reasonably well. Same for just about any other component. Your best bet would be to find a good enthusiast forum for the car similar to SoxTalk and see what other people have to say. Nothing wrong with letting other people spend their money first to figure out what works and what doesn't!

The best way to go faster is to reduce weight! It improves not only acceleration, but also cornering, braking, and fuel efficiency.

As for your earlier question regarding low-profile tires and snow, here's my thoughts (take with a grain of salt, I'm no tire expert):

The size of the sidewalls shouldn't matter too much. What's really going to matter is the tire width (narrower is better for snow), tread patterns, and the compounds used. Aside from allowing people to shove huge wheels on cars, low profile tires help performance because the shorter sidewall is stiffer so there's less compliance in the tire. I don't think this will effect your traction in the snow.

I have a 2003 Eclipse Spyder GTS and haven't had one problem since I purchased it. Thinking about selling it now that I have a kid though.

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Apr 23, 2007 -> 11:25 PM)
G35's can be had in AWD.

Only the sedan can be had in AWD, the coupes are solely RWD for obvious reasons.

I've never driven a RWD car, so I can't help you there. But if you're looking for a good balance of fun, performance, and year-round practicality, take a look at the Acura RSX Type-S. I have an '04. Alas, the last model year they made them was '06.

Still, it's fun, it looks good, it gets about 28 mpg when I have a mix of city and highway driving, it's 200 HP, 6-speed manual, FWD, and you don't have to keep it in the garage in the winter. It's a great car.

So here is the car buying report.

I went to the dealership to test drive a brand new model they just got in. I drove it, loved it and sat down for the dog and pony show. First they brought over the sales manager, the guy basically had zero sales skills, so I basically ignored his statements. As usual they offered me about 4-5k less than my trade in was worth. Now I own my car outright, which is sort of a bad idea when you want a new one every couple of years or so.

Then this finance mgr comes over and tries his hand. He actually made some progress with me as we both agreed most likely I would want a new car in about 2 years. Leasing may be the way for me to go, anyones thoughts on that?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 24, 2007 -> 06:32 PM)

I went to the dealership to test drive a brand new model they just got in. I drove it, loved it and sat down for the dog and pony show. First they brought over the sales manager, the guy basically had zero sales skills, so I basically ignored his statements. As usual they offered me about 4-5k less than my trade in was worth. Now I own my car outright, which is sort of a bad idea when you want a new one every couple of years or so.

Then this finance mgr comes over and tries his hand. He actually made some progress with me as we both agreed most likely I would want a new car in about 2 years. Leasing may be the way for me to go, anyones thoughts on that?

I generally dont think leasing is good unless you can use it as a write off. Have you thought about selling your car privately to get a better value as opposed to using it as a trade in?

QUOTE(Whitewashed in @ Apr 24, 2007 -> 12:18 AM)

There are the obvious things stated by StrangeSox such as weight reduction and exhaust. Other options include Cold Air Intake, Cams, Headers, etc. If you really want to go all out you can get forced air induction (aka Turbo) as well. A site I would suggest that might help out is http://forums.clubrsx.com/index.php

I learned a lot there just from browsing different forums. It is mainly designed for people who drive the RSX. However, a lot of the info can be helpful to you since you are thinking of buying a Honda (which owns Acura).

Also, I am sure there are Honda, Civic, etc. message boards out there as well.

QUOTE(Balance @ Apr 24, 2007 -> 04:40 PM)
I've never driven a RWD car, so I can't help you there. But if you're looking for a good balance of fun, performance, and year-round practicality, take a look at the Acura RSX Type-S. I have an '04. Alas, the last model year they made them was '06.

Still, it's fun, it looks good, it gets about 28 mpg when I have a mix of city and highway driving, it's 200 HP, 6-speed manual, FWD, and you don't have to keep it in the garage in the winter. It's a great car.

Haha, you drive an RSX as well Balance? I wish I had known a little more going in to buy mine as it was my first car purchase on my own. I got the base instead of the S and now I wish I had a ride with a bit more power.

Edited by SoxFanForever

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Apr 24, 2007 -> 06:35 PM)
I generally dont think leasing is good unless you can use it as a write off. Have you thought about selling your car privately to get a better value as opposed to using it as a trade in?

I am the type of person who likes a new car every 2 years at least. I never own a car 5 years. Is it a serious downside having a lease? I got 20k miles in the offer per year

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 24, 2007 -> 06:42 PM)
I am the type of person who likes a new car every 2 years at least. I never own a car 5 years. Is it a serious downside having a lease? I got 20k miles in the offer per year

The main issue I have with leasing is I like using my old car as a down payment. If you are only keeping your cars for two years or so and find the payments manageable without anything down...unless you would come out of your pocket after the lease is up Id say go for it. Especially if you like getting new cars all the time.

It definitely saves the trouble of trying to get value for your trade in and what not and youll never have too much money invested.

Id shop around some lease rates from Infiniti dealerships and see what kind of numbers they can come up with and bounce them off the other dealerships. I just bought my car from Infiniti of Lisle if you wanted to check out any other dealers to see if they can do any better.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 24, 2007 -> 06:32 PM)

Some people like leasing some people don't. Ultimately you will have to decide if it's right for you.

My opinion is that if I'm going to pay for something I want it to be mine. What do I have to show for it after the lease is over? It also has is it's pros though. You don't have to deal with selling the car when you're ready. You don't have to deal with depreciation, but some brands keep good value. Also remember that you have a limit to how many miles you can drive the car.

In your situation if the pros outweigh the cons of leasing then it probably is right for you.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 24, 2007 -> 04:32 PM)

Given the situation there is absolutely no reason you should buy the car. Considering how often you want a new one its absolutely pointless to pay the sales tax on the full car amount (when you lease you only pay it on the portion you utilize which is a big plus). Plus you can work out a real good deal typically on leases.

I purchased my last car simply because I got pretty much 0% interest but if that weren't the case there is absolutely no reason why you should buy a car (unless you are planning on keeping it for a long time). I've been told the same thing from both my dad (whose in the real estate business, but also does real estate finance so he's familiar with financing stuff and he swears by leases as does my best friends dad (whose a finance manager at a Mercedes Dealership).

Rock...two years, you never drive your car...your basically the perfect fit for a lease. I'd also pass on all that mileage. Why have it since you aren't going to drive that many miles per month (considering you said you only drive on rare occassions).

If you drove a lot I'd say buy the maximum miles but in this case I think you'd be better not paying for the mileage and getting the lease calculated with something like 12,000 miles (if you assume thats about all you'd drive).

I'll agree with everything Chisoxfn said. With how soon you're looking to flip the car, a lease makes the most sense.

And really, if you're looking to purchase a car to keep for a while, it's better to just go used and get a car that's only a year or two old coming off of a short lease.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 23, 2007 -> 03:15 PM)
No offense, but im not looking for the horrendous build quality of an american made muscle car. As evident by my current car, i dont want to be running 9's on the track.

Well if you consider all American made vehicles crap the you are simply a blind consumer.

QUOTE(Whitewashed in @ Apr 23, 2007 -> 07:37 PM)
I'll add a question of my own. How do low profile tires drive in the snow on a FWD car?

I am also looking for another car these days and like any other college student I am on a tight budget.

I am looking at a Civic, Accord, and an Eclipse. Any other suggestions or comments on the cars I listed?

What do you mean by "low profile tires?" You should always have snow tires suring the winter months. I assume you mean new vehilces of the ones you listed. Stay away from the Eclipse. Mather of fact stay away from Mitsu as a whole. Notorious for engine problems. Plus its a chick car. I am a big Honda advocate. Both the Civic and Accord are wonderful cars. If you are looking for something with something "sporty" the 2door Accords look very slick. My cousin has an 06 Accord coupe and has nothing but good things to say about it. You should be saf between those two. If you have any other questions on just about any other model, just post up.

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Apr 24, 2007 -> 06:39 PM)
Haha, you drive an RSX as well Balance? I wish I had known a little more going in to buy mine as it was my first car purchase on my own. I got the base instead of the S and now I wish I had a ride with a bit more power.

Yup. And I used to post on ClubRSX.com, too. I went there when I was doing my homework on buying the car, and wound up posting more in the off-topic areas. I don't want to mod my car. If I'm going to spend money to make my car faster, I'll just buy a faster car in the first place!

Still, ClubRSX is a good source of information if you're looking to buy and modify an Acura or Honda. The new Civic Si is essentially the car that replaces the RSX in Honda/Acura's lineup. (The RSX is based on the Civic platform.) Beware, though, if you do a CAI (cold air intake) in a climate like ours. With all the rain we get, it's very easy to get water in your engine and hydrolock it. Bad news.

I would highly recommend finding an RSX Type-S for Chicago driving.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 24, 2007 -> 06:42 PM)

It sounds like a lease would fit your needs well. As long as you don't exceed the mileage you're entitled to under the lease, it will let you turn in your car, no strings attached, that frequently.

AFAIK, in Illinois you pay sales tax on a lease, however. Most other states you don't, since you're not actually buying the car. This is an economic disincentive, but not a deal-breaker.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Apr 25, 2007 -> 09:26 AM)
I think the only downside to leasing is you'll ALWAYS have a car payment.

But if you are going to trade in every couple of years anyway, it doesn't make a difference. I am in the club that will drive the wheels off of a car. If I can get away without having a car payment, I will damned well do it.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 25, 2007 -> 09:27 AM)
But if you are going to trade in every couple of years anyway, it doesn't make a difference. I am in the club that will drive the wheels off of a car. If I can get away without having a car payment, I will damned well do it.

Right...I've thought about leasing cause I put hardly any miles on my car. I walk to the train and take the train to work.

The only time I put miles on my car was when I was dating my wife. In the last 2 1/2 years though I've probably only put 6,000 miles on my car. A lease and a new car every couple years would be nice, but man I'd just hate to have a payment every month. I'm undecided, but hey I don't know anything anyway I drive a chick car.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Apr 25, 2007 -> 09:34 AM)
Right...I've thought about leasing cause I put hardly any miles on my car. I walk to the train and take the train to work.

The only time I put miles on my car was when I was dating my wife. In the last 2 1/2 years though I've probably only put 6,000 miles on my car. A lease and a new car every couple years would be nice, but man I'd just hate to have a payment every month. I'm undecided, but hey I don't know anything anyway I drive a chick car.

Hey, its not just a chick car! The Eclipse that my dad drives was originally purchased by my gay brother!

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 23, 2007 -> 03:15 PM)
No offense, but im not looking for the horrendous build quality of an american made muscle car. As evident by my current car, i dont want to be running 9's on the track.

I must have missed this the first time through.

American auto manufacturers are right up there with everyone else in terms of quality now. The perception that they're crap is still lingering from them building crap for decades.

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Apr 25, 2007 -> 12:00 PM)
Hey, its not just a chick car! The Eclipse that my dad drives was originally purchased by my gay brother!

I must have missed this the first time through.

American auto manufacturers are right up there with everyone else in terms of quality now. The perception that they're crap is still lingering from them building crap for decades.

There may be some that are up to par, but in my personal experience (4 american cars) they have been crap. But as i stated, I meant American muscle cars from the years that he mentioned.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 25, 2007 -> 12:02 PM)
There may be some that are up to par, but in my personal experience (4 american cars) they have been crap. But as i stated, I meant American muscle cars from the years that he mentioned.

Yeah, I just wanted to give the American auto manufacturers a little bit of credit for taking steps in the right direction.

I don't know how much power you're looking for, but you might want to consider the GTO. New 06's are going for well below sticker on dealer lots (27-28k, I think), and they're great GT coupes. The interior is pretty nice, and the seats are the most comfortable I've ever sat in.

The G35 is probably going to be slightly more refined, with less power but better handling. In my opinion, you can't go wrong with either car.