DEM Primaries/Candidates thread

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 04:50 PM)
Wouldn't it be fair to say that Fox polling has favored Obama thus far?

Are you referring to the Fox News polling or the exit polling data? Because they're 2 totally different things. Not even done by the same people, I think.

If you want to know how accurate those exit polls are, watch right around 8:00 CT. Because if Obama actually scored a win among women, they may well call this thing as soon as the polls close.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 06:56 PM)
Are you referring to the Fox News polling or the exit polling data? Because they're 2 totally different things. Not even done by the same people, I think.

If you want to know how accurate those exit polls are, watch right around 8:00 CT. Because if Obama actually scored a win among women, they may well call this thing as soon as the polls close.

My impression was that their exit polls had favored Obama, but I don't really have a clue.

Wisconsin exit poll

Nearly 6 in 10 percent of voters who support Hillary Clinton said they would be satisfied if Barack Obama was the party’s nominee; 40 percent said they would not. But the reverse doesn’t hold true: a slim majority of Obama voters said they would not be satisfied if Clinton becomes the Democratic nominee.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/

Edited by KipWellsFan

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 07:04 PM)
Wisconsin exit poll

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/

It would seem that Obama is bringing in voters from outside the party regulars, who probably would stay home in the fall general if their guy isn't the nominee. I can't believe they would suddenly jump to JMc

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 05:20 PM)
It would seem that Obama is bringing in voters from outside the party regulars, who probably would stay home in the fall general if their guy isn't the nominee. I can't believe they would suddenly jump to JMc

You can count me amongst the group you're noting there. I really don't want to vote for Hillary, but there's not a chance in Hell I'm voting for "Bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Iran" when I'm still draft age.

CNN has their exit polling data up. Quite similar to the stuff I had earlier. Shows hillary eeking out a margin of error win amongst women, but Obama with a 2-1 advantage among men. Obama winning every age group except 65 and older.

Texas and Ohio were already showing some movement before today. It's possible this could be big enough to be a big driver. The exit polls average out to roughly 56-43.

Edited by Balta1701

I'm just wondering how long before Hillary Clinton will start to go after the race card again and will attempt to go after the Ron Paul supporters (I.E. White Supremacists) to attempt to win the nomination. I am shocked that she didn't win I thought for sure her smear attacks would of killed Barak's momentum.

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 07:34 PM)
I loved how the networks pulled away from Clinton's speech to cover Obama.

There is a subtle hint...

That's what they usually do when the winner of a night's contests comes on at the same time as one of the people who lost. I find it more interesting that the Obama camp actually had the balls to have him come out while she was still on and going after him.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 10:52 PM)
That's what they usually do when the winner of a night's contests comes on at the same time as one of the people who lost. I find it more interesting that the Obama camp actually had the balls to have him come out while she was still on and going after him.

It really was interesting watching what I guess you would call subtle political maneuvering. Clinton comes out right after the projection for Obama, preventing (for at least a little bit) the pundits' discussion of the effect of the victory (momentum, etc.). Then Obama cuts her off to try and steal back the spotlight. Pretty good stuff. On a side note, I support Obama, but I thought his speech tonight was...sloppy.

QUOTE(AngelasDaddy0427 @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 10:17 PM)
Can someone explain to me why Washington State is holding a second contest? And if Hillary wins will this be the end of Barak's winning streak even though there are no delegates at stake?

Even if she wins Washington the turnout is ridiculously low. No delegates involved. It would be pathetic if her campaign gloated about a win there tonight.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 08:22 PM)
No clue whatsoever why there is a primary there tonight. I asked this a few weeks ago in this thread. I thought cnn.com had a typo.

Here's the NYT with the answer.

As many as 1.5 million votes are projected to be cast in Washington State’s presidential primary on Tuesday. The question is whether they will count.

The state is obliged to tally the numbers, of course, and the state Republican Party will award 19 of its 40 delegates based on the primary results. Yet Senator John McCain’s selection as the Republican nominee is pretty much assured.

More problematic is that the state Democratic Party long ago said it would award its delegates based solely on the results of the statewide caucuses that were held on Feb. 9. The party says a record 250,000 people turned out for the caucuses, which Senator Barack Obama won by 36 percentage points.

So it appears that the primary, first approved in a 1988 referendum with the goal of giving greater voice to voters who might not be able or inclined to attend a party caucus, may have the distinction of being one of the few essentially irrelevant contests in a presidential race so fierce this year that even outposts like Idaho and Alaska have nudged their way into the national spotlight for a moment or two.

The primary was moved up this year from May to February with an eye toward increasing its influence. Yet, while the presidential candidates descended on the state in the days before the caucuses, they do not appear to be coming back for the primary.

Here's a question for you guys to chew on in the morning... Flip the results and current delegate count. Pretend it was Hilldog who just swept 10 states in a row, most in convincing fashion. What would the media be saying? What would Clinton's camp be saying? Wouldn't they both be talking about it being over, and asking when Obama would be dropping out? Wouldn't we be spending primary/caucus nights talking about what it would be like to have a female president?

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Feb 20, 2008 -> 01:14 AM)
Here's a question for you guys to chew on in the morning... Flip the results and current delegate count. Pretend it was Hilldog who just swept 10 states in a row, most in convincing fashion. What would the media be saying? What would Clinton's camp be saying? Wouldn't they both be talking about it being over, and asking when Obama would be dropping out? Wouldn't we be spending primary/caucus nights talking about what it would be like to have a female president?

Camp Clinton for sure would be pushing Obama to get out, and so would the MSM.

And despite all of the "good news" for Obama, I'm *STILL* convinced Hillarity will win. It's all about strong arming the superdelegates, and making sure the backroom deal for MI and FL "to have a voice"...

It's getting more difficult for Hillarity now. If Obama wins BOTH Texas and Ohio, then I will finally say that Hillarity is done.

Another reminder, do not look at statewide totals in Texas. There are three groups of delegates.

1. Those selected by the popular vote in each state rep district. So if someone wins a few districts by big margins, and loses many more closely, the delegates will be far off from just dividing by state wide totals.

2. Caucus

3. Superdelegates. Many down here are strong Hillary supporters. This area has been very generous to the Clintons. Including her Senatorial campaign. Alonzo Cantu is a great fund raiser for the Clintons responsible for multiple hundreds of thousands of dollars.

It seems here, the politicos and party regulars are leaning strongly or have committed to Hillary. Obama is grabbing a huge share of first time voters.

Obama and I were born in the same year. That may be the most sobering thought to my sad pathetic life. This could be the first time in my life the President will be the same age as me. Another milestone in the march towards death.