The Greg Walker Lynch mob thread

CWSOX45

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 2, 2007 -> 03:13 PM)
So let me get this straight, people actually believe Greg Walker tells guys to go up to the plate and swing as hard as they can just in case they hit it. He also tells them not to work a count. Swing at as many pitches as they can, regardless of their location. I really don't know what to think of Walker as a hitting coach, but I find it hard to believe he's the reason the team can't hit right now.

If he doesn't say that, and the players are doing it anyway, then the players are not listening to him.

It's the same deal as with our attorney general. Either he's an idiot and is telling people the wrong things, or no one is listening to him. Either way, some of the blame has to be his.

What worries me is Mark Buehrle will be the first one traded because his value is sky high again. I think that would be a mistake...Mark is the one dude who has sacked up this year and is playing ball. I hope Im wrong, but with Mark's contract situation, if the Sox fall out of contention I fear he'll be the one dealt.

QUOTE(kwolf68 @ May 2, 2007 -> 03:14 PM)
What worries me is Mark Buehrle will be the first one traded because his value is sky high again. I think that would be a mistake...Mark is the one dude who has sacked up this year and is playing ball. I hope Im wrong, but with Mark's contract situation, if the Sox fall out of contention I fear he'll be the one dealt.

I'd rather him be dealt than us lose him at the end of the season for draft picks. Ditto Dye, although it would be really nice if JD could hit a little to get that trade value back up.

QUOTE(Shadows @ May 2, 2007 -> 04:58 PM)
Carl from Texas..

Greg, I dont think you deserve a raise and quite frankly sir you make me sick. Anyways, I was wondering if you had any pull at Soxtalk. Is it possible to have Heads banned and promote Kalapse to ultimate administrator? Thanks for your time.

No.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 2, 2007 -> 10:13 PM)
So let me get this straight, people actually believe Greg Walker tells guys to go up to the plate and swing as hard as they can just in case they hit it. He also tells them not to work a count. Swing at as many pitches as they can, regardless of their location. I really don't know what to think of Walker as a hitting coach, but I find it hard to believe he's the reason the team can't hit right now.

Bingo! There's so many more problems with this team than just it's hitting coach. He'll be the fall guy, but this roster was doomed from the minute we tried to make Toby Hall into Steve Lyons. We should DL Cintron and find someone with a little more pop that can play SS in an emergency.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 2, 2007 -> 05:13 PM)

You can have the best philosophy in the game, but if you can't get it across to your students, you are a horrible teacher. (and thus, worthless)

Edited by sircaffey

QUOTE(kwolf68 @ May 2, 2007 -> 05:14 PM)

Mark and Dye will be for the taking if we sputter like this into June.

Possibly Crede.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 2, 2007 -> 05:13 PM)

Almost everyone has the same horrible homerun swing right now. He says they all look great. He even said that BA's swing looked good last week.

Either he's lying to the media, or he's a moron.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ May 2, 2007 -> 10:15 PM)
You can have the best philosophy in the game, but if you can't get it across to your students, you are a horrible teacher.

If this was 5 years ago, people would be calling for the manager's head due to corpseball.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 2, 2007 -> 03:17 PM)
If this was 5 years ago, people would be calling for the manager's head due to corpseball.

Well, when this happened 4 years ago, the White Sox did replace their hitting coach (2003, Gary Ward replaced by Greg Walker). And in Mid-May, nonetheless.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(fathom @ May 2, 2007 -> 05:15 PM)
Bingo! There's so many more problems with this team than just it's hitting coach. He'll be the fall guy, but this roster was doomed from the minute we tried to make Toby Hall into Steve Lyons. We should DL Cintron and find someone with a little more pop that can play SS in an emergency.

So you think finding a SS w/ "a little more pop" would be a bigger problem solver than firing Walker? I find that hard to believe. We can talk about Tejada in a couple of weeks. :D

Our talent level is fine for what we need right now. It might not be God's gift to hitting, but it should be good enough to be average until Thome returns, at which point it can be slightly above average. And there's a big difference between average and pathetic, which is where it's at right now.

If hitting coaches have no effect on team hitting, as you are seemingly suggesting, how would you explain our improved performance after firing Von Joshua and later Gary Ward, or the Indians when they fired Eddie Murray?

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ May 2, 2007 -> 10:25 PM)
If hitting coaches have no effect on team hitting, as you are seemingly suggesting, how would you explain our improved performance after firing Von Joshua and later Gary Ward, or the Indians when they fired Eddie Murray?

Well, maybe the Indians didn't like hitting in the cold either, and when they fired Murray, it started to get hotter outside? :P

I know Walker will be the fall guy, but we just have too many easy outs in our lineup (as we did during the 2nd half last season). I hope we're not relying on Thome to be full strength for the rest of the year once he returns. I guarantee he'll be back on the DL again this season.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ May 2, 2007 -> 05:29 PM)
I wonder what it would take to get Walt Hriniak back? He may have even been able to teach Brian Anderson to hit major league pitching.

Funny, he seemed to do wonders in 05 with Uribe.

But then again, Walk thought so much of it. He decided that Hrniak was wrong after 05, and broke Uribe's swing down. How did that work out.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 2, 2007 -> 05:28 PM)
I know Walker will be the fall guy, but we just have too many easy outs in our lineup (as we did during the 2nd half last season). I hope we're not relying on Thome to be full strength for the rest of the year once he returns. I guarantee he'll be back on the DL again this season.

If our offense performed like the 2nd half of last season, that wouldn't be a problem, imo. The problem was our pitching during the 2nd half was horrendous, for the most part. It's pretty good right now.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ May 2, 2007 -> 10:31 PM)
If our offense performed like the 2nd half of last season, that wouldn't be a problem, imo. The problem was our pitching during the 2nd half was horrendous, for the most part. It's pretty good right now.

I think it's balta or kalapse that has stats on how our offense was like 12th in the AL during the 2nd half last season.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ May 2, 2007 -> 05:31 PM)

They were near the bottom in runs scored during the 2nd half of last season. What are you talking about?

How much credit are y'all giving the coach? To listen to this place Crede = A-Rod with a better hitting coach. These guys have to step up and start playing. If these guys started blaming the coaches you would all starting howling how they are scape goating. I am certain everyone of these guys has been watching tape of when they could hit.

Y'all are making a bunch of excuses for guys who are slumping or not playing up to their potential.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 2, 2007 -> 05:30 PM)
Funny, he seemed to do wonders in 05 with Uribe.

But then again, Walk thought so much of it. He decided that Hrniak was wrong after 05, and broke Uribe's swing down. How did that work out.

Exactly my thinking. And if you could teach Juan Uribe to be a more patient hitter, you could teach Helen Keller to see too. I think Hriniak was a very significant influence on a future hall of famer named Frank Thomas too.

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 2, 2007 -> 05:32 PM)
How much credit are y'all giving the coach? To listen to this place Crede = A-Rod with a better hitting coach. These guys have to step up and start playing. If these guys started blaming the coaches you would all starting howling how they are scape goating. I am certain everyone of these guys has been watching tape of when they could hit.

Y'all are making a bunch of excuses for guys who are slumping or not playing up to their potential.

When everyone on the team is having the same problems, you need to look at the common factors.

Greg thinks these guys have great mechanics now and has retooled several players' swings in the past to be homerun swings (which sent their ability to hit line drives into the gutter). He is just not a good hitting coach.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 2, 2007 -> 03:31 PM)
I think it's balta or kalapse that has stats on how our offense was like 12th in the AL during the 2nd half last season.

Post All-Star the White Sox were 9th in runs scored in the AL, between the Angels and Toronto.

How the Hell Boston came in at 11th I'll never know.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 2, 2007 -> 05:31 PM)

Are you sure about that? I thought they were middle of the pack instead of at the bottom. It would be difficult to finish 3rd in runs scored overall for the season if you're basically at the bottom for one half.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ May 2, 2007 -> 05:35 PM)
Are you sure about that? I thought they were middle of the pack instead of at the bottom. It would be difficult to finish 3rd in runs scored overall for the season if you're basically at the bottom for one half.

They were dominating until just after the ASB. After that, they were terrible.

Pre-ASB: 520 Runs, 1st place

Post-ASB: 348 Runs, 9th place

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 2, 2007 -> 05:21 PM)
Well, when this happened 4 years ago, the White Sox did replace their hitting coach (2003, Gary Ward replaced by Greg Walker). And in Mid-May, nonetheless.

Ward was having a lot of personal issues with players. Most couldn't stand him. They like Walker. I would be absolutely shocked if the White Sox canned Walker, at least during the season.