cbssportsline takes stab at Buehrle to StL angle

caulfield12

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 10, 2007 -> 07:25 AM)
If he leaves, I hope he signs for the biggest paycheck in mlb history.

That won't happen...he has to compete with:

Clemens, $18 million for 4 months, or $27 million for one season (I know you were talking about total years and money, like Zito's deal)

A-Rod will get a bigger contract

Zambrano will get a bigger contract

Ichiro or Andruw Jones MIGHT get a bigger contract

Johan Santana will get a bigger contract

i could be wrong, but i think santana is a free agent in the 08 offseason, not the 07 offseason. but like i said, i could be wrong

if the sox do get rid of crede and dye at the all star break, they could sign buehrle maybe 6 years, 54 million, and then possibly go after a-rod. i know its a long shot, but hey, its worth it.

i also want to see them re-sign erstad. i love the way he plays the game. hes a scrappy guy, hardnosed baserunner, and it seems like everytime he hits the ball, he turns it into a double. if they dont, possibly forget a-rod and try to go after ichiro? we'll see...

QUOTE(briguy27 @ May 10, 2007 -> 07:44 AM)
i could be wrong, but i think santana is a free agent in the 08 offseason, not the 07 offseason. but like i said, i could be wrong

if the sox do get rid of crede and dye at the all star break, they could sign buehrle maybe 6 years, 54 million, and then possibly go after a-rod. i know its a long shot, but hey, its worth it.

i also want to see them re-sign erstad. i love the way he plays the game. hes a scrappy guy, hardnosed baserunner, and it seems like everytime he hits the ball, he turns it into a double. if they dont, possibly forget a-rod and try to go after ichiro? we'll see...

6 yrs for $54 million? Are you kidding? Zito got 7/$126. Buehrle is going to at least get $12 million a year.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ May 10, 2007 -> 07:53 AM)
6 yrs for $54 million? Are you kidding? Zito got 7/$126. Buehrle is going to at least get $12 million a year.

atleast $14, unless he absolutely blows balls. Jason Marquis got $7 mill this offseason for putting up an ERA of over 6 last year in the NL in the worst division in baseball. How is Buehrle going to get 7 figures a year with more than 100 career wins, a no hitter, and an ERA that will almost certainly end up below 5 this year in the toughest division in baseball?

I honestly see no less than 5/$70, and I think that may be at the low end of what he can get. If he signs for less, color me whatever the hell color you want, because I will be in shock.

QUOTE(briguy27 @ May 10, 2007 -> 07:44 AM)

If they sign Erstad (and it's not a matter of signing him, his option for $6 million vests automatically with 600 plate appearances), then BA is done with the White Sox, unless they let Pods and Dye go and don't replace them via trade or FA (Ichiro, Hunter, Jones, unlikely). An outfield of Sweeney, Erstad and Anderson just isn't going to put up enough numbers to compete in the AL Central.

Santana is a FA after 2008.

Buerhle is looking at no less than 4 years-$56 million and all the way up to 6-$100 million

Mark already turned down a similar offer and the way he is looking this season, that was probably a great idea. If I was Mark, I'd be thinking 75/5. If I was a GM, I'd be thinking 100/6 or 7 and hoping I could negotiate something less.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ May 10, 2007 -> 08:06 AM)
If they sign Erstad (and it's not a matter of signing him, his option for $6 million vests automatically with 600 plate appearances), then BA is done with the White Sox, unless they let Pods and Dye go and don't replace them via trade or FA (Ichiro, Hunter, Jones, unlikely). An outfield of Sweeney, Erstad and Anderson just isn't going to put up enough numbers to compete in the AL Central.

Santana is a FA after 2008.

Buerhle is looking at no less than 4 years-$56 million and all the way up to 6-$100 million

Do you have a link that says Erstad has a vesting option? The only thing I've seen is that if he does get 600 PA this year the team option for '08 rises to $6M, it does not become guaranteed.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 10, 2007 -> 09:28 AM)
Do you have a link that says Erstad has a vesting option? The only thing I've seen is that if he does get 600 PA this year the team option for '08 rises to $6M, it does not become guaranteed.

I guess if he has 700 plate appearances, it would cost the White Sox $1,250,00 to buy out his contract (for next year). If he was injured or didn't play much, the buyout would have been only $250K.

The value for next year's contract ranges from $3.5 million to $6 million based on meeting certain incentives.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ May 10, 2007 -> 10:45 AM)
I guess if he has 700 plate appearances, it would cost the White Sox $1,250,00 to buy out his contract (for next year). If he was injured or didn't play much, the buyout would have been only $250K.

The value for next year's contract ranges from $3.5 million to $6 million based on meeting certain incentives.

I know the terms of the contract I've just never seen any evidence of a vesting option except for a few people on here. I was just wondering if you have seen the vesting option mentioned somewhere before.

according to http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/c...-white-sox.html

Darin Erstad of

1 year/$1M (2007), plus $3.5M 2008 option

* signed as a free agent 1/07

* 07:$0.75M, 08:$3.5M club option ($0.25M buyout)

* 2008 option may increase:

o to $6M with 600 PAs in 2007

o by $0.25M for winning 2007 Comeback Player of the Year

* buyout for 2008 may increase to as much as $1.25M based on 2007 PAs

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 10, 2007 -> 06:19 PM)
If we buy out Mr. Erstad's deal, do we still have the option of offering him arbitration (i.e. to get picks if he walks or to sign him at a lower value?)

Unless Erstad bats .330/.430/.600 for the rest of the season, he has no chance of being a Type A free agent. There's no more compensation for the lower types.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ May 10, 2007 -> 06:23 PM)
Unless Erstad bats .330/.430/.600 for the rest of the season, he has no chance of being a Type A free agent. There's no more compensation for the lower types.

And then there was a moment from the past Spring Training, when Jamie was watching her husband pitch in a "B" game from the somewhat uncomfortable metal bleachers near the Minor League back fields. Manager Ozzie Guillen promptly moved Jamie into a chair near the coaches and media behind the backstop.

It was a move signifying the family feeling permeating the White Sox organization. It's a feeling that always will extend to the Buehrles, whether they stay in Chicago or move on to another locale.

"Ozzie is unbelievable," Jamie said. "He's even said that he feels the same way about me as if he had a daughter that was pregnant. It's weird because I think, 'Why us? Why is he so attached to us?' But he has told Mark that no matter what, he'll be there for our child being born.

"That means the world to me because I know a lot of managers really couldn't care less," Jamie added. "I just truly believe the way it's meant to be [with the contract], it will play out."

www.chisox.com