Bears DE Alex Brown asks premission to seek a trade

Bears' Pro Bowl DE Brown demands trade

Just a formality. Brown has been involved in trade rumors for the past month. The two-time Pro Bowl alternate has three years remaining on his contract but his salaries are near the minimum. Chicago has room to move him with Dan Bazuin, Israel Idonije, Wale Ogunleye, and Mark Anderson on the roster.

May. 16 - 7:08 pm et

Wonder what we could get for him?

QUOTE(knightni @ May 17, 2007 -> 11:21 AM)
Too bad Ian Scott is in Philly now.

Scott doesn't play end so he wouldn't be much help there. The Bears currently have 5 DEs without Brown they'd still have 4 very talented ends including Adawale and Anderson which is an excellent pairing.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ May 17, 2007 -> 11:20 AM)
Thomas Jones, Lance Briggs, and now Alex Brown.

Something is going on behind the scenes.

His contract is very cap friendly:

07 - $0.595

08 - $0.550

09 - $0.670

10 - FA

I don't think it has anything to do with behind the scenes problems really, Jones, Briggs and Brown signed contracts at times when their value was at its lowest (Jones was a top 10 bust, Briggs was a 3rd round pick and got 3rd round money and Brown wasn't performing at all.) Brown just wants to make some money, he's looked up for less than $2M total over the next 3 years and is performing at a pretty decent level, I don't blame him for looking to get some more money.

07 - $0.595

08 - $0.550

09 - $0.670

10 - FA

Nothing is going on... These guys want their money, and they know they won't get it from Jerry Angelo. They aren't stupid.

I don't know about demanding a trade, I heard he asked permission to seek a trade. He's not threatening to hold out...not threatening to skip minicamps or mandatory workouts. The Bears have depth, they know it, he knows it...if he doesn't get traded, he will still start opposite Wale.

Also, Wale's contract is much harder to move than Alex Brown's. If they Bears do trade him, I can see a decent back-up and a 3rd or 4th rounder coming to the Bears. Maybe a 4th receiver who is blocked from moving up to 3rd or something like that.

07 - $0.595

08 - $0.550

09 - $0.670

10 - FA

Jones didn't want to split playing time

Briggs is just plain greedy

Brown is not happy with all the DE's we have. We just drafted another one.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 17, 2007 -> 04:42 PM)
I dont see much reality in this at all. I think the trade rumors had roto speculating.

Alex Brown requested permission to seek a trade, it's not some crazy speculation from a fantasy site. It's been reported by all the major news outlets in Chicago as well. Waddle and Silvy were talking about it this morning.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 17, 2007 -> 04:59 PM)
Alex Brown requested permission to seek a trade, it's not some crazy speculation from a fantasy site. It's been reported by all the major news outlets in Chicago as well. Waddle and Silvy were talking about it this morning.

That doesnt exactly mean he demanded a trade. They took him asking permission and added more to it.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 17, 2007 -> 05:22 PM)
That doesnt exactly mean he demanded a trade. They took him asking permission and added more to it.

Why would you request permission and then, not use that permission? It's like asking your parents if you could have 5 bucks, then not taking it when they give it to you.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 18, 2007 -> 11:46 PM)
The new trend in the NFL seems to be for mediocre, overpayed, overrated players to demand trades. I hope it gets done, the more Mark Anderson the better, and Bauzin is an animal.

Welcome to the cons of having not guarenteed contracts. Because their deals can be voided at anytime, they will shoot for the big money every chance that they get.

The signing bonus in alot of cases acts as a guarantee for at least the first few years of a multi-year deal, as most teams wouldn't want to, or couldn't if they did want to, take the cap hit for releasing or trading someone early in the contract. PLayers get their big money up front, they should stop complaining because they don't like the back end.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 18, 2007 -> 10:49 AM)
Why would you request permission and then, not use that permission? It's like asking your parents if you could have 5 bucks, then not taking it when they give it to you.

No its the difference between asking your parents for 5 bucks, or demanding they give you 5 bucks.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 21, 2007 -> 08:43 AM)
No its the difference between asking your parents for 5 bucks, or demanding they give you 5 bucks.

More like demanding your parents for 5 bucks and saying please, or demanding your parents for 5 bucks and throwing a temper tantrum until you get it.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ May 21, 2007 -> 08:23 AM)
The signing bonus in alot of cases acts as a guarantee for at least the first few years of a multi-year deal, as most teams wouldn't want to, or couldn't if they did want to, take the cap hit for releasing or trading someone early in the contract. PLayers get their big money up front, they should stop complaining because they don't like the back end.

I complain cuz I don't like the back end either. Wait, we're talking about different things here, aren't we?