The South Side of Chicago Board of Tourism

Jason82807

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ May 17, 2007 -> 04:56 PM)
Kind of like the billboard they put up outside wrigley.

Not sure if it is the one you are referring to... but I was up by Wrigley last Sunday (on Clark a few blocks south of the stadium) and saw the billboard of Contreras ("Anyone can habla a good game... We are Chicago baseball... etc.) and thought wow, that is ballsy. But on the other hand...

Even though it made me smile, I don't really like it. Kind of makes the Sox look small. I mean, if you have to say "we are Chicago baseball" then maybe you aren't. I mean, obviously I think they are, but I'm just saying that's how the ad came across to me. Just my opinion.

Edited by FlaCWS

Back to the Grind was destined to fail, unless it was purely meant to promote the Erstad signing.

This is Chicago Baseball is a great slogan that is backed up by the 05 Championship.

The South Side of Chicago Board of Tourism I think is the most clever campaign. A lot of my friends don't get it and ask "So all there is to do on the south side is see the White Sox? Why don't they promote anything else?"

QUOTE(ROC Sox Fan @ May 17, 2007 -> 11:17 PM)
Back to the Grind was destined to fail, unless it was purely meant to promote the Erstad signing.

This is Chicago Baseball is a great slogan that is backed up by the 05 Championship.

The South Side of Chicago Board of Tourism I think is the most clever campaign. A lot of my friends don't get it and ask "So all there is to do on the south side is see the White Sox? Why don't they promote anything else?"

Are your friends all Cub fans?

QUOTE(ROC Sox Fan @ May 17, 2007 -> 11:26 PM)
Well now that you mention it, yea. They all are at least if Cubs fans if not those who prefer the Cubs. Should have realized that.

Glad I could help. It just seemed so obvious to me. :D

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 17, 2007 -> 05:21 PM)
Brooks Boyer designed it to attract more casual fans, which means not us. It shouldnt be that appealing to us.

I think it would be more effective at attracting casual fans if they highlighted some of the bars/restaurants around The Cell, instead of just the ballpark itself. I bet Wrigley would be like a third full every game if there weren't all those Wrigleyville bars.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 18, 2007 -> 07:15 AM)
I really like it. Unstead of the typical "come see baseball because it is the greatest thing ever" type campaign, this gets a subtle jab in at all of the stereotypes about the Sox, plus getting to promote our product.

I think it's incredibly cheesy. Not to mention, I'm against any advertising campaign that pokes or jabs at the Cubs at all. This is why Cubs fans commonly say Sox fans have penis envy, because a lot of them do. Like defeating the Twins in the bottom of the 9th, and then chanting Cubs Suck down the rampway...WTF is that.

Fans who care about the Cubs that much are jackasses, IMO, and they annoy me. Stop thinking or worrying about the Cubs until we play them -- like over the next three days. Commercials like this breed this line of thought. Sox fans worrying about the Cubs when they need to be worrying about the Tigers, Indians and Twins is a tad on the obsessive side, and reeks of "little brother" syndrome. :P

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE(Y2HH @ May 18, 2007 -> 07:56 AM)
I think it's incredibly cheesy. Not to mention, I'm against any advertising campaign that pokes or jabs at the Cubs at all. This is why Cubs fans commonly say Sox fans have penis envy, because a lot of them do. Like defeating the Twins in the bottom of the 9th, and then chanting Cubs Suck down the rampway...WTF is that.

Fans who care about the Cubs that much are jackasses, IMO, and they annoy me. Stop thinking or worrying about the Cubs until we play them -- like over the next three days. Commercials like this breed this line of thought. Sox fans worrying about the Cubs when they need to be worrying about the Tigers, Indians and Twins is a tad on the obsessive side, and reeks of "little brother" syndrome. :P

But there is the kicker, it doesn't get the jab in at the Cubs, it gets the jab in at their fans. Its a statement to all of the people who still say stupid s*** like "OMG why would you go to a game in that gang infested ghetto? You could get killed!!1@#" If you are getting a reference to the Cubs, you are missing the point.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 18, 2007 -> 08:02 AM)
But there is the kicker, it doesn't get the jab in at the Cubs, it gets the jab in at their fans. Its a statement to all of the people who still say stupid s*** like "OMG why would you go to a game in that gang infested ghetto? You could get killed!!1@#" If you are getting a reference to the Cubs, you are missing the point.

Referencing the Cubs fans is just as bad to me...again, it reeks of "little brother" syndrome.

Why do we care if they have ignorant non-baseball minded fans?! Why bother spending actual money to poke fun at that?! This is the exact kind of thing that makes them laugh at us...we have a World Series trophy in our case and we have to poke fun at their fans now?!

That's called penis envy...and for NO reason.

QUOTE(Y2HH @ May 18, 2007 -> 08:06 AM)
Referencing the Cubs fans is just as bad to me...again, it reeks of "little brother" syndrome.

Why do we care if they have ignorant non-baseball minded fans?! Why bother spending actual money to poke fun at that?! This is the exact kind of thing that makes them laugh at us...we have a World Series trophy in our case and we have to poke fun at their fans now?!

That's called penis envy...and for NO reason.

There IS a reason. You like that $100 million payroll right? That means we have to get fans in the stands.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 18, 2007 -> 08:07 AM)
There IS a reason. You like that $100 million payroll right? That means we have to get fans in the stands.

Not sure that those commercials added ANY fans at all. :P We've been selling out since WINNING, not since making penis-envy commercials that jab at the Cubs or their Fans. :P

QUOTE(Y2HH @ May 18, 2007 -> 08:08 AM)
Not sure that those commercials added ANY fans at all. :P We've been selling out since WINNING, not since making penis-envy commercials that jab at the Cubs or their Fans. :P

If you are ever going to get those fans over to our park, the time is now. The Sox are winning, and the Cubs fans are horribly bitter. Like it or not, we could use that money in our ballpark. Its nice to be all clean and pure and live in an idealistic world, but it doesn't work like that. Baseball teams are expensive, especially winning ones.

QUOTE(Y2HH @ May 18, 2007 -> 07:56 AM)

I just don't see the fans that care more about the cubs than anything else. I read about them in the paper....I hear about them on the news. Bruce Wolf did a whole spiel on it this morning. How Sox fans don't care about anything except the cubs losing. I have heard about it my whole life, but all the fans I know aren't like that.

Now your scenario on the rampway sounds ridiculous. Unless some fans were ripping on a guy in cubs jersey. To which I say...rip away if he is at the Sox Twins game with a Cubs jersey on. He wore it to get s*** said to him. OR I could see it if the next game was against the cubs and fans were cheering kinda like..."They're next" Other than that it sounds ridiculous to me and I would venture to say 95% of Sox fans would agree.

I don't find the campaign particularly funny, but I have no problem with it. If Cubs fans want to say we have penis envy then we say they have World Series Championship envy. But this whole "Sox fans care more about what the cubs do" garbage is just BS. I just don't see it.

Edited by Controlled Chaos

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 18, 2007 -> 08:11 AM)
If you are ever going to get those fans over to our park, the time is now. The Sox are winning, and the Cubs fans are horribly bitter. Like it or not, we could use that money in our ballpark. Its nice to be all clean and pure and live in an idealistic world, but it doesn't work like that. Baseball teams are expensive, especially winning ones.

Well if that's what you want, do a commercial people will actually find funny, on both sides. :D

Here is my idea of a spoof type commercial that is awesome. :D

(Spin off of Apple/PC Commercial)

Scene : Two guys standing before a blank white background, one wearing a Sox Jersey/Cap (Slightly bigger guy, muscled), one wearing a Cubs Jersey/Cap (Kind of geeky northsider looking guy with sandles).

Sox fan : Hi, I'm a White Sox.

Cubs Fan : And I'm a Cubs. How you doin' Sox?!

Sox fan : Great...how about yourself?

Cubs Fan : Well, not so good, I seem to have a problem "closing" the deal...but at least I have a hot girlfriend to keep me company in the stands...

(Hot girl wearing a Cubs jersey enters scene, snuggles with Cubs fan. Sox fan look over, checks her out and smiles.)

Sox fan : Nice. Can't say I have one of those, but at least I have this awesome trophy to keep me company...

(Sox fan exits scene, re-enters scene carrying world series trophy, look of awe comes over the Cubs fan face.)

Cubs fans girlfriend : Wow...nice trophy.

(Hot girl leaves Cubs fan side and walks to Sox fan to "touch" the trophy. Sox fan moves trophy to other side.)

Hot girl : I honestly don't know much about baseball , but I'd love to learn about an actual Major League team...

(New couple begins to walk off, girls removes and drops Cubs jersey on ground, however she is covered by the larger Sox fans body...nudity implied. Cubs fans left in the scene alone, White Sox baseball graphic comes up.)

How lame am I? :D hehehhe

:P

QUOTE(Y2HH @ May 18, 2007 -> 08:21 AM)
Well if that's what you want, do a commercial people will actually find funny, on both sides. :D

Here is my idea of a spoof type commercial that is awesome. :D

(Spin off of Apple/PC Commercial)

Scene : Two guys standing before a blank white background, one wearing a Sox Jersey/Cap (Slightly bigger guy, muscled), one wearing a Cubs Jersey/Cap (Kind of geeky northsider looking guy with sandles).

Sox fan : Hi, I'm a White Sox.

Cubs Fan : And I'm a Cubs. How you doin' Sox?!

Sox fan : Great...how about yourself?

Cubs Fan : Well, not so good, I seem to have a problem "closing" the deal...but at least I have a hot girlfriend to keep me company in the stands...

(Hot girl wearing a Cubs jersey enters scene, snuggles with Cubs fan. Sox fan look over, checks her out and smiles.)

Sox fan : Nice. Can't say I have one of those, but at least I have this awesome trophy to keep me company...

(Sox fan exits scene, re-enters scene carrying world series trophy, look of awe comes over the Cubs fan face.)

Cubs fans girlfriend : Wow...nice trophy.

(Hot girl leaves Cubs fan side and walks to Sox fan to "touch" the trophy. Sox fan moves trophy to other side.)

Hot girl : I honestly don't know much about baseball , but I'd love to learn about an actual Major League team...

(New couple begins to walk off, girls removes and drops Cubs jersey on ground, however she is covered by the larger Sox fans body...nudity implied. Cubs fans left in the scene alone, White Sox baseball graphic comes up.)

How lame am I? :D hehehhe

:P

I liked it! :cheers