Video Game Catch-All Thread

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (almagest @ Apr 28, 2008 -> 12:39 AM)
I feel the same way. I can't get into any of the GTAs. I think it's because I have no attention span in that game -- I'll do a mission or two, then wonder how far the bodies will fly if I shoot rockets at people from the top of a building. Or I'll try to drive a car into a police helicopter. By that point I've already wasted an hour.

It think that's the point. GTA is so incredible because not even playing the game is a blast. Just cruising and raising hell for hours on end and trying to out do your buddy is half the draw. I have a feeling that GTA IV's storyline is going to be just as entertaining as GTA III's. Seriously, the first time I was transporting the dead body in the trunk of my car from point A to point B and the trunk popped open I laughed so hard.

I'll openly admit that the experience died down with Vice City and San Andreas, but it's pretty clear GTA IV is going to be a HUGE step up in realism, gameplay, and overall feel. I can't wait to light up the 40" LCD tomorrow night for a few hours (sorry honey, but you'll have to go to the bedroom for awhile, cuz I'm taking over the living room, lol).

There's something about the reality of the games (when playing missions)... you feel the gravity of offing a mob boss, and I hear the murders are ridiculously realistic in GTA IV, unlike the III series where the blood just squirts around like a slasher film.

Add to that online play, a map that's 3 times the size as the previous games yet much denser, and you get what is going to be hailed as the best game ever.

Edited by Steve9347

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Picked up GTA IV at a midnight release tonight...

WOW, the realism and the city graphics are quite simply amazing. I haven't gotten too far in the story line, but just seeng the scenery alone was quite impressive.

Well, I ordered GTA4 on EBgames.com with overnight shipping a couple of days ago. They guaranteed for it to be here today if you bought it by yesterday at noon or you get your money back...It hasn't even shipped so it looks like I'm going to have to go through their clusterf*** that is customer service.

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Apr 29, 2008 -> 08:44 AM)
Well, I ordered GTA4 on EBgames.com with overnight shipping a couple of days ago. They guaranteed for it to be here today if you bought it by yesterday at noon or you get your money back...It hasn't even shipped so it looks like I'm going to have to go through their clusterf*** that is customer service.

Why would you order online when you could have just gone to the store to pre-order it hours before it's release?

However, does the "get your money back" include keeping the game? If so, the day or so you have to wait would be worth the free game. One note though, from what I've read in the past, companies aren't allowed to ship until the release date, so maybe you misread things?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 29, 2008 -> 10:00 AM)
Why would you order online when you could have just gone to the store to pre-order it hours before it's release?

However, does the "get your money back" include keeping the game? If so, the day or so you have to wait would be worth the free game. One note though, from what I've read in the past, companies aren't allowed to ship until the release date, so maybe you misread things?

Nah, I've done this plenty of times before with Brawl, NCAA08, etc. When I'm down in Marco Island the nearest EBgames is 40 minutes away. I figured I didn't want to waste the gas/time to drive 40 minutes each way. Usually this way is a good way to go, but oh well.

Eh, I just checked and it's only for the shipping amount. Oh well.

Edited by chimpy2121

QUOTE (rangercal @ Apr 29, 2008 -> 10:22 AM)
I decided to purchase a wii instead of a xbox way back when so no GTA4 for me(yet).

Ever. There's no chance in hell the Wii could handle GTA IV. Seriously.

I obviously loved the original Super Mario Kart as a kid, but never got into the second wave.

smk.gif

Now THAT'S the real deal!

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 29, 2008 -> 11:05 AM)
Ever. There's no chance in hell the Wii could handle GTA IV. Seriously.

I obviously loved the original Super Mario Kart as a kid, but never got into the second wave.

smk.gif

Now THAT'S the real deal!

I mean, I am deciding between a ps3 and a xbox as a second console. I may lean towards the ps3 for it's blu ray capabilities. I realize GTA4 will only be available for ps3 and xbox.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Apr 29, 2008 -> 12:16 PM)
I mean, I am deciding between a ps3 and a xbox as a second console. I may lean towards the ps3 for it's blu ray capabilities. I realize GTA4 will only be available for ps3 and xbox.

Oh sorry, I misunderstood.

I'm a 360 guy through and through. The Halo series and the online play make it a no brainer for me, but everyone's different. XBOX Live is the far superior online community, so if you plan on doing online stuff, that might be the route.

However, blu-ray works, I'm just totally unconcerned with that aspect or I'm sure I'd have been disappointed with the HD-DVD death. However, I don't use my system for movies.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Apr 29, 2008 -> 01:38 PM)
I know they are probably playing it, but no one here has IV yet???

I picked it up on my lunch break. However, being a working professional I have to wait until this evening to put it in...

Heh. That's what SHE said.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Apr 29, 2008 -> 12:16 PM)
I realize GTA4 will only be available for ps3 and xbox.

Not necessarily. Unless I'm wrong (which is possible I suppose, but I haven't seen anything), they haven't confirmed or denied a PC version yet. I suspect one will be out, and thats what I'll be waiting for since the GTA games have always been much, much better for PC than for any consoles.

QUOTE (Felix @ Apr 29, 2008 -> 01:53 PM)
Not necessarily. Unless I'm wrong (which is possible I suppose, but I haven't seen anything), they haven't confirmed or denied a PC version yet. I suspect one will be out, and thats what I'll be waiting for since the GTA games have always been much, much better for PC than for any consoles.

That was before consoles passed PCs. I'd think like 6% of the population could run a scaled down version of GTA IV on PC. It's just too loaded. You'd need to be rocking Alienware to do it.

Now, I'm not saying it's impossible, but I don't think there'd be enough folks who could actually run it to merit such a feat.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 29, 2008 -> 07:58 PM)
That was before consoles passed PCs. I'd think like 6% of the population could run a scaled down version of GTA IV on PC. It's just too loaded. You'd need to be rocking Alienware to do it.

Which is why he said it could only happen somewhere down the line. PCs will pass consoles again, just like they do every gen. Who knows if it's worth it for Rockstar to get it out there by that time though